Home General Discussion

Where is softimage?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Jholen polycounter lvl 4
I'm new in this forum, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but seems to me here there is no softimage users.
softimage is a great software, with fast and efficient tools inside, but seems becoming unpopular or relegated to some VFX shops, also in this forum I don't see related topic about.
if my memory is not wrong, softiamge under avid was one big player in videogame field, under AD suffer a bit about wrong marketing but the development is constantly and ICE is a great tool. What happened?

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    softimage is actually not under avid anymore, there under autodesk, avid is more into audio and film now than games and vfx.

there are softimage users around here, the forum is just more focused on what people create, not so much the 3d package.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    passerby wrote: »
    avid is more into audio and film now than games and vfx.

And also Autodesk just NOM NOM's everything that isn't nailed down by a Open Source License :D

I'm constantly impressed with XSI and it's features, and the work artists make with it... never got into it though. :(
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    XSI is a great app for sure, but with autodesk acquiring it and the price increase from $500 to something like $3000, it lost some users...especially those who wanted to work on a non autodesk application.

XSI's future is a bit uncertain. It seems to be bundled with 3ds max and maya for certain subscription packages.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I believe Valve an Squeenix still use it. Along with many VFX houses.
  • Jholen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jholen polycounter lvl 4
    Softimage future is pretty solid. Autodesk sell it alone or in a suite with mudbox, motionbuilder and Max or Maya (and mudbox and motion builder also have solid future). Seems in Japan the suit is composed by Softimage as main application.

Avid cancelled the Foundation release, not Autodesk, and AD decrease the price, from 5000 and more to 3500 and included the FaceRobot plugin (alone it worth 100.000 $

Development continue on softimage, but is practical ICE centric (the rest of the application is good too, IMHO only UV and Hair is outdated). To confirm the solid future about Softimage you can see what is the principal software chosen by Solid Angle for merge their acclaimed rendering (arnold), first softimage and with a bit of retard Maya (also look at mootzoid and excortex plugin, lagoa etc.). Softimage is live and kicking.

What surprising me is softimage practical ignored or disappear (or almost) in videgame field...
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I remember XSI being marketed and pushed to become one of major players pretty intensively couple of years ago - there were lots of cool development updates, lots of workflow/integration videos, tutorials and general marketing stuff.

Maybe I just stopped keeping track of such things, but it seems to me these efforts have dwindled down.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    It's still used pretty heavily in Japan for game dev from what I understand.. Just not so much outside of there.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Jholen wrote: »
    What surprising me is softimage practical ignored or disappear (or almost) in videgame field...

They never had a market following in games. Cuz Max was cheaper for devs per seat than Soft, in the beginning, was. And their focus way back then was films or broadcast. I am aware that Japan gamedevs love their Softimage and Lightwave, but not in North America.

All AD products can do film, games, broadcast, archit, etc. But their brand is tied to their historical markets. It is no longer one soft is technically superior over the other. Blender can do what big name softs can do but it just does not have the market following. Not enough pro user to risk dumping millions of bucks to make films or games. Even if it is open source you still have to pay salaries to run serious studios.

Cinema 4D practically owns the motionagraphy biz cuz I think they had a headstart building their niche market before XSI came up with ICE.

When the career advice given is to learn Maya over Max if you want to go into film, it is more of a practical advice cuz that is where they have a huge market (with supervisors, tds, etc. who have been using it since Jurassic Park ILM era). But in truth, a Max exclusive studio can pull off just the same quality (look at Blur - although they use a mixed bag of apps now).

XSI is good but how well are they doing building the market for their brand.
  • Jholen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jholen polycounter lvl 4
    All AD products can do film, games, broadcast, archit, etc. But their brand is tied to their historical markets. It is no longer one soft is technically superior over the other. Blender can do what big name softs can do but it just does not have the market following. Not enough pro user to risk dumping millions of bucks to make films or games. Even if it is open source you still have to pay salaries to run serious studios.
    depending from the tasks. I hardly see blender move the great quantity of flux data can moving now softimage (heavy, dense (directly exported from zbrush) polygons mesh, large textures, lot of particle etc.). If you doing a simple character and want animate it, blender is fast and capable enough, not doubt, but for large and complex scene it suffer a lot (from my experience).

ICE is not intended for motion graphic, with it you can doing motion tools (like this: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/mtools/ ), sometime people thing ICE is only particle, wrong idea, ICE is practical all you can think (very close to Houdini procedural approach)

I'm not in the game field, only now approached the this world, and for these reason seems very strange to me a so capable software (and more cheaper then maya or 3dsm) has a so low audience. I think AD marketing suck...
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Only thing I could think off to make XSI relevant in games is if it gets merged with a game engine like UDK or Unity. I dont know how that would ever be possible corporation-wise but if it means a one button switch from asset (model, lighting, rig animation, etc.) to in-game without need for .fbx and such export or converting requirements...it could be a significant game changer.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I know the some fellas that use XSI over at Carbine studios, I used to use it a lot for personal projects, but every studio/project I've worked on has used max or maya.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    MrHobo wrote: »
    It's still used pretty heavily in Japan for game dev from what I understand.. Just not so much outside of there.

probably because it's the only major app that comes with japanese docs and a fully translated UI from what I know.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    The current CG studio i'm working at is pretty much 100% softimage, Modeling, UVunwrapping, Materials, animation, rendering, compositing.

Sculpting in Zbrush and Photoshop for textures obviously though.
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    Ryswick wrote: »
    The current CG studio i'm working at is pretty much 100% softimage, Modeling, UVunwrapping, Materials, animation, rendering, compositing.

Sculpting in Zbrush and Photoshop for textures obviously though.

What's the name of the studio?
  • Jholen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jholen polycounter lvl 4
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Only thing I could think off to make XSI relevant in games is if it gets merged with a game engine like UDK or Unity. I dont know how that would ever be possible corporation-wise but if it means a one button switch from asset (model, lighting, rig animation, etc.) to in-game without need for .fbx and such export or converting requirements...it could be a significant game changer.

Is not exactly one button export/import operation, but is a nice example (actor X work smoothly with last softimage release) :
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBNo9K2X6YA"]Softimage to UDK using Exocortex Species plugin - YouTube[/ame]
    the some process for Unity
    Species is a sort of poser inside Softimage, cam generate model just rigged and can be what you want (woman, male, fat, muscle etc. etc.), just ready with UVmap and can be modified as any other meshes inside (or outside if you export it) softimage. On Vimeo you can find about 12 tutorial where is described all Species functions.

I don't mean softimage is better than 3dsm or maya, what I mean is XSI is a capable software wrongly underrated

Yes Ryswick, I would like to know this studio.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Inhert wrote: »
    What's the name of the studio?
    Nerd Corps, in vancouver.
  • Jholen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jholen polycounter lvl 4
    Ryswick wrote: »
    Nerd Corps, in vancouver.
    seems a cool studio, best wishes :)
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I used XSI exclusively for years doing low-poly work for Source and Unreal engine as a hobby. Foundation was cheap enough for that. When Autodesk bought Softimage, they erased a once thriving community filled with hundreds of free video tutorials covering all topics.

http://community.softimage.com/