Home General Discussion

Low resolution texture help

Sorry if this thread is posted in the wrong spot or already exists somewhere.

But I'm currently making a game for a final project for an Animation degree. The game, in short, features a very large number of units, to the extent that we've got to go really low poly with the whole thing, and well, this is my first time doing anything majorly low poly.

I feel I'm pretty happy with the model, but I'm not all that happy with the texturing, so I inquire of you, majestic polycount forums! What are some good tips for low poly/low resolution textures.

Here's an example of what I've currently got.
AlwBj.jpg
(There's a few issues with the texture so far, such as seam's not matching up. I'll be fixing those later, that's not that hard)

I've got a few questions so far:

What's a good brush setting to use? Soft brushes? Hard brushes? Or just something akin to the pencil tool in Photoshop, i.e. with no anti-aliasing or softness what so ever (I think I've seen a number of low poly textures with completely sharp edges).

The texture is supposed to be 128x128 and is currently 256x256, which leads me to ask is it good to paint at the intended resolution? All my texturing so far, with other projects as well, has been do paint more or less at double then resize later.

Are gradients evil?

Any other tips you'd have would be amazing! Thank you muchly!

Replies