Home General Discussion

Gadgets for camping/hiking.

Andreas
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Andreas polycounter lvl 11
Happy Friday afternoon Polycount :)

I've recently got more into camping/hiking/the great outdoors in general. It's something I've wanted to pursue for a long time but only recently had the means to do so. It's a great way to get active and fit too. I also have a penchant for innovative gadgets and toys. I imagine the two go together perfectly.
So here's my request from you lot. If you guys know of or use any gadgets/specialized clothing/camping cookware/kickstarters even that make spending time in the great outdoors better, please link them here! :)

Or hey, if you have stories to tell, photos to share, that's cool too. :)

Replies

• Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
    General rule is the more you pay the lighter it gets. Also for clothing and sleeping the colder you can go. Staying dry is most important so buy a good set of waterproofs and tent if your going to be camping in the wet. Also a good fitting pair of boots is essential. if you are used to wearing trainers all the time you will need to get used to the harder soul so a long hike could give you some pain. Good maintinence of all this stuff is key to enjoying your time. Food is also important. High calories is key.

Sorry if this isnt quite what your looking for. Be a bit more specific and i will try offer up some suggestions.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    No no, any information/experience people also have to share is welcome! :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    how far are you likely to be hiking? you want to buy GOOD quality boots, and break them in way in advance, i mean like... wear them all day every day for everything that involves walking. because if you don't you WILL suffer.

you want good quality socks as well, one thing we were taught in the military, was to always look after your socks. marching/hiking in bad socks will kill you, literally.

other than that, what Paulod said... you want things that are waterproof, and dry quickly. the lighter the stuff is the more expensive it's likely to be, too.

practice putting up your tent in your garden if possible, you want to get to the point where, if the weather shifts and you're in an emergency, you can get it up in under 3 minutes (lol that's what she said...). depending where you're going, this can literally be the difference between life and death.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
  • sprunghunt
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    it's worth stressing Gir's advice on the boots. Don't skimp and the boots will last you forever. My first pair of boots was a 60 pair from Target when I was 13, and within about a hundred miles of hikes they were falling apart. My next pair was a 130-150$ pair of skarpas when I was 15, and they're still in beautiful, usable, condition now, fifteen years later. Like Gir said, really break them in, take the time to waterproof them if they aren't waterproofed already and also, pay attention to your socks.
    I've found that wearing really thin lining socks + wool socks above those really minimizes blisters and makes for the most comfortable hike. I don't know if they even still make the thin lining socks anymore. Also look into Gaiters: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Black-Crystal-Hiking-Gaiters-Waterproof/dp/B005A6IUOW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344609826&sr=8-2&keywords=hiking+gaiters"]Black Crystal Hiking Gaiters Waterproof Nylon Men's Black Size Large: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]
    They're great for walking through rain and/or dewy-underbrush while keeping your socks/legs dry.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    Start out small, don't go for a 5 day expedition or anything until you have tested your gear and your body. Carry a good first aid/trauma kit with you and tell someone where you are going, it could save your life. Most importantly, bring enough booze.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    .22 (in case you run out of food)...:)
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Depending on the weather, I like to pack extremely light. I have a Hiking bag always stocked and ready to go in case I get the itch to anywhere. General stuff I have is a mummy bag because its light and compact. A small collapsible stove. A few cans of food, my trusty machete. Like Gir said find a fantastic pair of boots. I'm using a $150 pair from bass pro that I really liked and they haven't fallen apart at all in the last 2 years. I also have a bundle of rope a few pocket knifes bug spray %100 deet and a few pairs of socks.