Home General Discussion

16GB or 32GB

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
I'm building a new computer and I'm curious if anyone here has ever needed more than 16GB of ram. I quickly run out of my 4GB of memory(32bit) when I try to build lighting in my UDK scene. Another 16GB is only around $100 more but I don't want to waste the money if I'll never use it.

Thanks

Replies

• R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    32GB is a tad overkill imo.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    to my knowledge no applications can use 32gb of ram. And I'm also fairly certain that a 32bit system can only use 8.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    reverendK wrote: »
    to my knowledge no applications can use 32gb of ram. And I'm also fairly certain that a 32bit system can only use 8.

32bit can only use 4GB (like 3.8 or something)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I usually try to max out my mobo when I upgrade. Ram is cheap.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm switching to win7 64bit, a Z77 mobo, and an Ivy Bridge i7.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've ran into a moment or two where 16GB did not cut it. It was PS/Max/ZB and a custom editor at work that did me in.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but even on a high end system 16 of the 32 gigs would never ever get used. When it does some day get supported 16 more will be even cheaper to buy - until then you might as well just fold up the 100 dollars and plug that into the motherboard.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My number one concern is not running out of ram while building light maps in UDK.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    then 16 should be fine - and if it's not you've got other problems.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My number one concern is not running out of ram while building light maps in UDK.
    You will. 32GB, just get it.

Geeze, it used to be 128MB was all I'd ever need, 1GB was for rich people.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    why not just try 16GB and just buy 32GB >>if<< you need it later on?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    This would be the time to go for it, Ram is cheap right now. Manufacturers are scaling back DDR3 production right now because there is a glut of it on the market.

Only thing I would say is make sure you research your motherboard and make sure it isn't too finnicky about the brand of ram you are looking to buy, so you won't have issues when you put the system together.
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm fairly certain After effects / houdini etc can max out 32 gigs.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's true - after effects has especially awful memory management.
    make sure you have windows 7 pro, though. Home version locks the system down to 16 gigs no matter what i believe.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I'm not up to date on UDK, but if the light mapper (which may be a separate executable from the editor) is not 64-bit then it will only use a max of 3 gigs.

32-bit apps running on a 64-bit system are still limited by their 32-bitness.

I would get 16, and put the rest toward the baddest ass graphics card you can get. I know Unity uses Beast light mapping and that's CUDA enabled. So an Nvidia card is a huge speed boost for that editor.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    @ monster, udk runs 64bit.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    just because an application in and of itself can't use "more than x GB of ram" doesn't mean more ram isn't good.

if you're running max, udk, and photoshop all together, and you're doing mesh and texture revisions... well the more ram the better, even if one is only using 4gb, another using 6gb, and the third using 2gb of ram... that's still 12gb, and your OS is then using god knows what else.

so yeah, more ram the better. i'm looking to get 32GB just because it's actually pretty cheap to do right now. i'm already rocking a pretty fast SSD, so that's the next logical upgrade for me... (i'm running 8GB atm).
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It depends on how much cash you have. I'd say, get 16GB now, and the first time you run out of memory, get another 16?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Back in the days of 32 bit operating systems, any more than 4 GB of RAM was overkill, and wouldn't really result in any performance improvements. Now that 64 bit operating systems are available, the sky's the limit on how much RAM you can take advantage of, and more is pretty much always better.

Even if a particular application can only use X amount of RAM, the excess RAM will just let you run more than one application at a time. More is better, and 32 GB is not too much, especially if you find a decent deal.

Also, maxing out the RAM capacity of your motherboard is just fun.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Ooupss forgive me gentlemen, i was looking for the "what is the best 3d app thread ?", i can't seem to find it.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I would say why not go one step further? 64GB's? If anyone asks you why, just tell to shut their faces up or you will format their hard-drives!

Then again, it does depend on your work, I mean if you're not running a game engine with Uber Shaders, Rendering out Lightmaps, and working on a 2-4K texture at the same time, while watching 3 hours long videos with Firefox, using a plugin to pop out the window and Always Ontop it, then the extra RAM will not be exactly stellar nor will you find use for it.

And ontop of the that, many rendering engines in stuff like Max and Maya, when they crash, they will suck up all of your RAM without noticing, forcing a reboot or BSOD, so again, very little it will help there is the program is a memory whore.

All in all, it's honestly up to you, you can never have too much RAM, but it will be all for naught if the demand isn't there.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Im going to take a stab in the dark but I bet your UDK levels are not going to be to the size and complexity of a gears of war level as I'm betting you will be using it for just personal work and not full fledged game creation. With that in mind you should be way more than fine with 16. I run 16gigs at work and that works plenty well.

And at home my 4 year old, 4gig computer dosnt have a problem with UDK lightmaps at all. Im sure I couldnt run Max, Photoshop, UDK and Zbrush at all the same time but there is honestly no reason anyone would need to run all those programs at the same time. They take about 30 seconds to start up anyway.

The most applications you ever need to have open at one time are 2. A program to do your authoring content in and the program your seeing the authored content in. Example. Photoshop to UDK. Max to UDK. Photoshop to Zbrush. 2 is the most you will need to swap back and forth in rapid succession that you would need to have open. You wont need to constantly make changes in max, photoshop and UDK simultaneously. That is of course unless I assume you dont know what your doing and have a really poor workflow.

But if its cheap, then get it. Although if it was more than a hundred bucks I think it would be a total waste as you will almost never tax out 16gigs. You might once or twice, but the chances are so low its not worth it. It would be better to put the cash somewhere else in the computer or save it up for the next time you want to upgrade.

Just my 2cents :)
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I would say why not go one step further? 64GB's?
    I don't think any consumer boards support over 8GB per port yet, nor are there 16GB sticks for consumer motherboards.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Go crazy get 64GB!!! woot.
    (Ace-Angle beat me to It!)

Let us know how It goes!
    I also desperately want to upgrade, already got 64bits just need ultimate and the ram, uhg.
    (Oh yea make sure you get ultimate.)
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    It's your money! the more the better, but imo I think by the time you actually NEED NEED 32gb ram it'll be even cheaper.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I just upgraded yesterday from 8gb to 16gb just because of how cheap it was, I almost never went over 8gb even with multiple apps open at the same time. If you use After Effects and Mudbox a lot then 32gb might be worth it, otherwise 16gb should be fine.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Also, don't forget Vista and Window 7 support ReadyBoost. Just plug in a flash thumb drive to add temporary usuable ram.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd suggest 16. I used to peg 8gb all the time, moved to 16, and only a few times have I ever wanted 32gb installed. Those few times, there were ways to not need as much RAM (this was normally with smoke or fluid simulations in Blender, etc.).

I'd suggest putting the money you save into a SSD if you'd don't have one.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    16GB is optimal for an i7. I don't think you can exceed that with current systems.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    monster wrote: »
    Also, don't forget Vista and Window 7 support ReadyBoost. Just plug in a flash thumb drive to add temporary usuable ram.
    Just make sure it's atleast half or equal to the amount of RAM you have, any other number and it can lead less then optimal memory management.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    max, photoshop, modo, and all the apps i use are 64 bits. Ram is insanely cheap now, go to 32GB if you have a decent budget and you are going to use more than 16GB (i easily eat all my ram). 32GB of DDR 1600mhz cl9 should not be more than 150 euro now (i paid that for my 16GB!!! :))

The more the better, but don't forget they will be cheaper and more cheaper...

16GB is a standard right now, and i'd say a MUST HAVE, like a cool SSD and of course a good graphic card.
  • Tairii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tairii polycounter lvl 9
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I would say why not go one step further? 64GB's? If anyone asks you why, just tell to shut their faces up or you will format their hard-drives!

Then again, it does depend on your work, I mean if you're not running a game engine with Uber Shaders, Rendering out Lightmaps, and working on a 2-4K texture at the same time, while watching 3 hours long videos with Firefox, using a plugin to pop out the window and Always Ontop it, then the extra RAM will not be exactly stellar nor will you find use for it.

And ontop of the that, many rendering engines in stuff like Max and Maya, when they crash, they will suck up all of your RAM without noticing, forcing a reboot or BSOD, so again, very little it will help there is the program is a memory whore.

All in all, it's honestly up to you, you can never have too much RAM, but it will be all for naught if the demand isn't there.

Dell Precision desktops have the option for 196 GB of RAM.

IJS.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Tairii wrote: »
    Dell Precision desktops have the option for 196 GB of RAM.

IJS.

196gb is a windows limitation.

technically speaking (if i remember correctly, any techy's feel free to correct me here), but a 64bit cpu can address 2^64 bytes of memory, or 16.8 million terabytes.

there are linux distributions which have no limits other than hardware.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    196gb is a windows limitation.

technically speaking (if i remember correctly, any techy's feel free to correct me here), but a 64bit cpu can address 2^64 bytes of memory, or 16.8 million terabytes.

there are linux distributions which have no limits other than hardware.
    Yup, just like Windows 7 & Vista Home Premium only support 16GB of ram. The Windows Server Variants also have a few arbitrary limits, with the Enterprise and Datacenter versions supporting upto 2TB.