Home Technical Talk

Organic Hard Surface modeling?

Hi I’m kind of new around here so my apologies to any mistakes made but hopefully i can contribute to the community...

So my question is have i made up "organic hard surface modeling?" I have had a look around on the interwebs and all i come across is debates about what programs do what and that's not what i care about. what i want to know is this a thing and a thing being something that people do because there is obviously a cross over in organic and hard surface modelling but is there so much of a cross over that we can create a new area of modelling.

Okay so yes before you point out the obvious the term "organic" means living but i'm using the term as a way of expressing the flow that organic models have. A fantastic example of this is Iron Man. Iron Man is a “Hard surface” model but he is based on an organic shape. So does this make his an organic hard surface model or still just a hard surface model?

You have probably read this and thinking that I’m a complete noob and have no idea what I’m talking about and your half right but that’s why I’m here. I want to learn, understand and debate (nicely of course) about this topic and you are more than welcome to have you’re say.

Thank You for your Time
Denvir

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    the term "hard surface modeling" is pretty inaccurate. As you've noticed usually it's used to describe the difference between modeling mechanical items like a car and organic things like a human.

however it breaks down when it comes to modeling hard objects with complex surface detail that are not mechanical or soft. For example rocks, trees, and all kinds of moulded shapes have the same level of detail as organic objects like characters and animals - and in some case are exactly the same shape.

So I'd ignore it and make sure that if you're learning modeling that you just practice modeling a lot of different subjects with different topology.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, at the end of the day there really is just modeling and different techniques get transferred back and forth. To think of it as two separate things is a bit like segregating your tools:
    "These tools only work on lawn mowers, while these identical tools over here only work on cars".
    Sure there are probably very specific tools that will probably only be used in very specific cases for each and won't cross over, but the majority of the tools you will use on both without a problem.

Typically hard surface refers to things that aren't flexible.
    Technically a transformer is a hard surface because none of the parts flex or deform but the parts are often so small and so mobile that they look very organic.

Typically organic refers to things that are deformable, swamp thing, ooze monsters, muscly barbarians, cloth draped characters or statues.

In the end you apply whatever tools and know how you have to get the desired result.
  • Denvir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i see your point, it comes down to really classifying a model and really it doesn't matter how you classify the model you just have to generate it. i was going to do my dissertation on the subject for my final year of uni but you have just pointed out that really it doesn't matter how you do it just get it done :)

okay so i would like for people to still contribute to the discussion because i still like the idea of being able to classify a model as an Organic Hard Surface model.

and i guess i will just swap over to hard surface modeling for my dissertation unless something comes up that could give me something to delve into...

thank you for the input so far!