Home Technical Talk

3DS Max vs Maya

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Benjam polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys,

I was just wondering what the general view is of games industry standard modelling packages, i know a lot of studios use Max but then again some use Maya.

What would you say is best to get to grips with for a job in the industry?

cheers!

Replies

• Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is going to turn out good.
  • Benjam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    i know right ;) i can use Maya confidently but for my next project i was thinking of using Max so i can get used to using it who knows i might prefer it. Should i stick to it?
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Errrhm im no expert. I think what i could get out the billions of other treads with this topic is that is all comes down to preference. They are both good at stuff.

But seriously if you know 2 modelling applications that can only be better.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, it doesn't matter. If you learn one package, learning the other is a matter of learning the new UI layout and hot keys. The concepts are totally transferable.
  • Benjam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    cool ill go ahead with max in the next project
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    just different tools, can be useful to know a few, but i also wouldn't try jumping between apps, till you feel like you got a advanced understanding of 1 3d package first.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    At which point you despise all others.

For example ... I - as a 15ish year max user with a decent grasp of maya and loads of experience as a TA in a mixed pipeline - think maya is shit and more trouble than its worth.

The thing is, all the primary maya users i work with disagree...
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe wrote: »
    At which point you despise all others.

For example ... I - as a 15ish year max user with a decent grasp of maya and loads of experience as a TA in a mixed pipeline - think maya is shit and more trouble than its worth.

The thing is, all the primary maya users i work with disagree...

problem is you get really biased once you invest your time into learning all the commands, or customizing and scripting one of them.

like i can use max fine, but prefer maya, since i write a ton of my own scripts for it, and made maya my bitch.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I think what it comes down to is this:

Maya = Quick Modeling, fast workflow, less "neat" tricks for manipulating meshes (manipulators)

Max = Slower in terms of modeling workflow, lots of plug ins, good set of tools to manipulate meshes.

That said: I think more studios lean towards Maya and more are switching to Maya. I find it faster to model, toss over to zbrush, toss back and retopo. If you are going to get intricate then Max is probably a better bet.

If you are aiming to work at a studio then find out what they use and master that.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Benjam wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I was just wondering what the general view is of games industry standard modelling packages, i know a lot of studios use Max but then again some use Maya.

What would you say is best to get to grips with for a job in the industry?

cheers!

either or both
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday wrote: »
    I think what it comes down to is this:

Maya = Quick Modeling, fast workflow, less "neat" tricks for manipulating meshes (manipulators)

Max = Slower in terms of modeling workflow, lots of plug ins, good set of tools to manipulate meshes.

That said: I think more studios lean towards Maya and more are switching to Maya. I find it faster to model, toss over to zbrush, toss back and retopo. If you are going to get intricate then Max is probably a better bet.

If you are aiming to work at a studio then find out what they use and master that.

See, this just shows that you don't know Max well enough to make a decent comparison. Objectively speaking, its modelling toolset has been lightyears ahead of mayas since about 2004.

The reason you personally can model quicker in maya is that you know it better and that is always going to be the case.

The main reason so many studios shifted over imo is the cost. basic maya came in at half the price of max during the mid noughties which meant colleges bought and taught it and provided the world the a glut of new maya users.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See, this just shows that you don't know Max well enough to make a decent comparison. Objectively speaking, its modelling toolset has been lightyears ahead of mayas since about 2004.

The reason you personally can model quicker in maya is that you know it better and that is always going to be the case.

The main reason so many studios shifted over imo is the cost. basic maya came in at half the price of max during the mid noughties which meant colleges bought and taught it and provided the world the a glut of new maya users.

That is subjectively speaking, not objectively. I respect your opinion, but I just have to disagree entirely that the quick modeling I experience comes down to knowing the application better. I honestly believe that Maya is faster when it comes to quickly modeling out base meshes and snapping verts. The UI along with hotkeys and radial menu make it a breeze. I am not however saying that Maya is the best at modeling, which I made fairly clear. =)

I do agree however that the more you familiarize yourself with an application, generally speaking, and create the habits necessary to work faster, then yes speed will go up. This applies to any application.

Either way, this argument feels nearly as old as time itself and probably wont go anywhere...but please don't base your reply off of "you just dont know Max" or you just dont know Maya". Max is great and I have used it in the past, however I believe based on articles as well as observation that Maya is becoming the more dominant all around cg application for game studios. This is not a bad thing, it just is and I believe in any industry one of the keys to success is learning to adapt.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Hey it's this topic again!

Poopipe, it's a bit easy to just turn it around like that cause that's what you feel is true.

I'd say anyone who tells you one is better than the other just doesn't know them well enough, they are both powerful tools (yet actually a bit antiquated), that do much of the same things more or less well.
    Learn one and just don't be afraid to learn the other if the job requires it.

I started with Max, used it for about 5 years, switched to Maya a few times (back and forth) depending on the jobs, and now I wouldn't really want to go back to Max (but I could), but it's mostly just cause I've spent more time tweaking Maya to my liking.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    however I believe based on articles as well as observation that Maya is becoming the more dominant all around cg application for game studios.

The problem with that is that such studio switches are often motivated by pipeline reasons (maya being a better animation package and overall a nicer platform to develop tools for, so it seems). Yet modelers end up having to switch to it too, even tho Max is without a doubt much more stable when it comes to modeling (less improper behavior when it comes to creating double faces, and so on) and overall has cleaner, more predictable features for smooth mesh editing (more consistent bevel and chamfers, better previews of what tools are going to do, and many other small details)

The default toolset is indeed lackluster tho - it does requires quite a few scripts and tweaks to really make it efficient, and the default navigation sucks :D

However, when really looking at both with a bit of perspective ... they are both good a lowpoly modeling, but both are really behind when it comes to a more non-linear workflow. By now one could expect such programs to incorporate proxy modeling with voxel, solid non-destructive parametrical modeling for hard surface designs, and so on. Yet we all end up using good old edge loops because there's really nothing better available at the moment :/
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, I changed my mind. Learn Modo. :)
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    I am in university doing a 3d game art course. We have artists from the industry come in weekly and the same question is asked to everyone and they all give the same answer.....

As long as you can export the model as a obj...noone cares what package you use...as long as your good at it.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9

Hit the nail on the head, especially the part about colleges.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    The problem with that is that such studio switches are often motivated by pipeline reasons (maya being a better animation package and overall a nicer platform to develop tools for, so it seems). Yet modelers end up having to switch to it too, even tho Max is without a doubt much more stable when it comes to modeling (less improper behavior when it comes to creating double faces, and so on) and overall has cleaner, more predictable features for smooth mesh editing (more consistent bevel and chamfers, better previews of what tools are going to do, and many other small details)
    I'm not really sure Maya is better for animation, maybe its easier to create custom tools but I'm not really sure I haven't dug into that side of Maya yet.

From an animation stand point there isn't much that Maya has over Max. I think most of it is animators preference because that was the platform they where taught on and they would rather stay in their comfort zone. There are a lot of advantages to doing game animation in Max and Maya has lagged behind for a while.

With Maya it's almost a given that you need someone with some rigging/scripting/Tech Artist expereince just to build basic rigs and get things in game. Which if is a very different skill set and frame of mind than animation. The difference is almost as wide as programing and art.

With Max they handled a lot of the tech artists stuff out of the box and let animators just animate. It's not that you can't take the Tech Artist approach in max and do your own rigs because you can, it's just not the only approach.

Maya is catching up on that front and even pull a head in a few areas like including HumanIK including some quaternion solutions and a curve editor that doesn't lag the viewport when open, but that really depends on how the studio is using some of the newer tech. Mostly they seem to be lagging behind doing things the same old way with a few exceptions here and there...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Very true! I guess it's yet another big "it depends" :)
    But yeah ... with time passing by and given how much these two apps are stagnating now, I would say that they are both decent ... with a tendency to suck haha :D
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah... It really feels like we should have better apps by now. They all have a few cool features, but once you know multiple apps, you can't help seeing what's missing in each.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was certain that when Autodesk bought Maya they were going to create the ultimate app by smashing the 2 together. Alas...
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I was certain that when Autodesk bought Maya they were going to create the ultimate app by smashing the 2 together. Alas...

they would lose a lot of money :D
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, which might send me off on a "profit vs forward thinking" rant but I'll try to hold myself back. :)
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, which might send me off on a "profit vs forward thinking" rant but I'll try to hold myself back. :)

yeah I wish Maya had more modeling updates though maybe the feedback forum will help. Also if they were to theoretically build a MaxMaya app, wonder what studios would do. Learning another API and building a pipeline on that untested sounds not fun haha.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i wouldn't want to see them smashed together, just want to see the core modeling tools of maya added to and improved.

max and maya work fundamentally different smashing them together would just piss of current max and maya users.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I reckon theyll phase maya out and we'll get max with interface switching ( and hopefully a usable curve editor) sometime in the next 2 or 3 years

i reckon this because theyve put very little investment in development compared to what theyve put into max over the last few years. if they intended to push it as a major platform they'd have done what they did with mudbox and actually spend some money on it.

Im pro max so its partly wishful thinking but i suspect it'll come to pass..
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I reckon theyll phase maya out and we'll get max with interface switching ( and hopefully a usable curve editor) sometime in the next 2 or 3 years

i reckon this because theyve put very little investment in development compared to what theyve put into max over the last few years. if they intended to push it as a major platform they'd have done what they did with mudbox and actually spend some money on it.

Im pro max so its partly wishful thinking but i suspect it'll come to pass..

Based on the demos they've done in the recent past at shows like GDC, Siggraph, etc, this doesn't make any sense. They haven't added things to Maya that a lot of people want to see, but they're certainly adding pipeline functionality.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    affraid not..

Maya is cross platform compatible so if anything....max will get faded out
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max will get a curve editor that doesn't bring the viewport to its knees when Maya gets upgraded modeling tools, which means never.

They are probably trying to push each as a unique solution for two different problems. Max to model, Maya to animate and enough talk between the two that it doesn't matter which department uses what. That probably explains all of the focus they have put on FBX since they merged. The problem comes from their timing they merged when both where pretty much equal so now they have to engineer inequality to separate the users.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's a shame fbx is still out of synch really . All it'd take is a native quaternion import into max and correct handling of bone scaling and everything would be gravy..
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont get why people dont use xsi, its strong in all areas ranging from modeling to render management and tool development..., max and maya are simply ages behind. Max still is good (awesome) for modeling (I mean 2009 max), but last time I tried using 2011 and 2012...I seriously could not work at all, shit was lagging like crazy and doing weird display things even with all the drivers up to date... and I was on a rush to find out what was doing that, havent been back since. (not to mention the bugs on the uv editor...etc)
    Maya is better than max in the rendering area, but the simulation part is so behind they've got the core developement team from softimage ice to rebuild their simulation system.. hope we get ice for maya as well.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    XSI, users. Capcom studio 4, CyberConnect2, whomever made that terrible dragon riders 3d cartoon, and a bunch more I am unaware of. I think I seen it in a Halo Reach making of somewhere but not entirely sure...

So best modeling package for vidya games?...how come nobody mentioned Zbrush?.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples wrote: »
    So best modeling package for vidya games?...how come nobody mentioned Zbrush?.

While Zbrush can certainly do a lot, and more features are added with every update, it cannot really be a replacement for 3d modeling, uving, rigging and scene creating application.
  • Zoidburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive worked on the Games industry for 12 years now as a Senior Environment artist and from my experience every place is different.

some have been entirely exclusive to 1 of the other.
    soem have used both (project based) team 1 making Y game will be usuing Maya team 2 making X game will be on Max.
    and others even have it mixed and just let the artists use what they want to use.
    some even use XSI.

nearly all of them use Maya exclusivity for Animation / creating rigs and so on and never even bother trying to use max for it.

for me as an Artist i lean toward Max in a big way for modeling / texturing and view port shaders.
    as a stand alone package Max has everything you need out of the box to get going and is super fast for mesh manipulation with a tonne of tools at your disposal.
    Maya on the other hand (from a modeling point of view) is in my opinion severely lacking in tools department out of the box and only becomes useful and efficient to model with after you have thrown in allot of 3rd party scripts and whatnot to aid you. its a great package and its vert snapping tools work better than Max's.

But as a 'install and go' package Max wins hands down in my opinion also Ive never liked Mayas UI.

as far as what to learn to work in the industry? BOTH+Zbrush (if you are an artist)
    all have Pro's and Con's in the end its just personal Pref.

also if you are ONLY modeling and nothing else XSI might even be better than both Max and Maya out of the box.
  • turistainc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turistainc polycounter lvl 9
    I was a longtime Maya user and started learning Max this year. I agree that from a modeling standpoint Max is a more complete package out of the box and I'm now transitioning over to it.

I am curious about modo though. Anyone have experience with it? Because it's license is tied to you personally and not a machine, I wonder if people use it in a production environment?
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Seriously fuck smoothing groups... so dumb lol

You should try Modo, it has some really nice modeling tools. I would love to spend more time with it but my school uses Maya exclusively since it is widely considered the best for rigging and animation.
  • Norstu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norstu polycounter lvl 8
    turistainc wrote: »
    I was a longtime Maya user and started learning Max this year. I agree that from a modeling standpoint Max is a more complete package out of the box and I'm now transitioning over to it.

I am curious about modo though. Anyone have experience with it? Because it's license is tied to you personally and not a machine, I wonder if people use it in a production environment?

Hi Everyone {I'm a big fan of Polycount & have been lurking for a while now}

As a long time Max user, I recently gave Modo a solid try. It is a fantastic and intelligent 3D package. Unfortunately I've decided to go back to using Max, at least for the modeling side of things. Its kinda given me a new appreciation for Max :poly136:

Modo Disadvantages {IMO} (only from modeling standpoint)
    -Feels like it is missing too many modeling features.
    -Doesn't have a modifier stack. (Deformers/Effectors are similar but that's for animating & tool pipe disappears once you apply the tool)
    -Has some stability issues.
    -Mesh container system can be annoying.
    -Some of the tools struggle when used on mid to high poly meshes (e.g. Edge Slice).
    -Difficult to pickup on and fix model errors. Even after using the MeshCleanup tool/script there are still some left behind.
    -The selection system is irritating, I found myself constantly having to change the frontface, backface and partial selection settings.
    -Wireframe views are difficult to read/make sense of.
    -Aligning meshes is cumbersome and feels imprecise.
    -Symmetry & Smoothing Group functions are bung.

Modo Advantages {IMO} (only from modeling standpoint)
    -Actions Centers, Falloffs and Workplane
    -Tool Pipe system is ingenious.
    -Tabbed viewport presets (I like the idea of having a Modeling room, Topo room, etc)
    -Viewport Performance and Navigation.
    -Has a collision detection type snapping feature.
    -Tab to toggle Subdivision mode and Shift+Tab to toggle Pixar Subdivision.
    -Allows you to have multiple scene files open at the same time.
    -Ease at which you can paint and use Vertex Maps to control subdivision.
    -Plays nice with other applications (import/export).
    -Many more.

I'd recommend everyone give Modo a go at least once. Definitely plan to make use of its other features and for certain modeling tasks.

To answer your other question, I believe that Valve and Id Software use it but I'm not sure to what extent.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just finished up my second full prop in Modo and I'm more and more in love with each one I do. Just a fantastic program and I'm continually finding out things about it.

Get to know that work plane. It's your personal coordinate system assistant. :)

And those UV tools. So f'ing good!
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Blender!

*turns and runs*
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    Both max and maya is good.

using both have inspired me to try different approaches to transfer workflow between the 2 packages and do something new.

Maya forces you to work really clean and organized. whereas Max gives you more freedom.

Things I like in Max:

- Large amount of Modifiers
    - Smoothing groups
    - proper symmetry/mirror cut
    - not having to clear history all the time lol

Things I like in Maya:

- UVing(Ive been using Max longer). Being able to tell if faces are flipped constantly is very useful. unfolding with slider is another tool I use all the time.

- Transfer attributes

- Connect components(maya 2011 I believe it was introduced)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER wrote: »
    Seriously fuck smoothing groups... so dumb lol

You should try Modo, it has some really nice modeling tools. I would love to spend more time with it but my school uses Maya exclusively since it is widely considered the best for rigging and animation.
    I agree about smoothing groups, they really need to go. Luckily there is a script that allows you to interact with edge smoothness/hardness almost the same way you do in Maya, select an edge and set it to smooth or hard. It was written by the same wonderful genius that wrote outliner for max, who is also a member of polycount.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/edgesmooth

Something else they need to do, is make the UV editor a mode you can enter at anytime without having to add a modifier to the stack. This would make tweaking the UV's on already skinned characters and doing operations like selecting UV sections on a mesh much much easier than it is currently.
  • Toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toast polycounter lvl 11
    I reckon theyll phase maya out

What on earth did they update the Maya interface from legacy code to a moderm qt? Or why are they investing in updating the viewport 2.0 with DX11?

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/marcel/maya-directx-11-technology-preview

They're long term stratergies. It would be the most ridiculous move to overhaul the backend of Maya only to shelve it in 2 or 3 cycles like you suggest.

:poly142:
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Compared to what they've sunk into max over the last few years that's still nothing.

There's been a few persuasive arguments against my theory already but the fact remains, Maya has been the redheaded stepchild in terms of development effort. I'm not saying it's necessarily a good thing (although it'd make my life easier tbh), I'm just saying that if they were properly committed it'd have had investment on the same level as max and mudbox