Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Non warhammer space marine!!!

Hi all,

Im starting a new character for my portfolio.

Replies

• stoyan3d
    Offline / Send Message
    stoyan3d polycounter lvl 7
    The eye's seem a little big but other that that it look's ok. I would highly recommend using reference image's though. Even if you've got them mad skill's nothing beats a good reference.
  • DarkStar
    Stoyan you were right about the eye's so i reworked them and modified some little thing along the way. So here's a update with the finished head and neck. I think that i will finaly use z-brush on this even if im not a pro with it.

so there it is.

more update to come.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Definitely a good base mesh, but for a final portfolio piece, you should really try to push the boundaries and have fun with it! You are being WAY to safe with the super smooth skin and generic face shape and pose. Add something that the audience will remember! Are you a character artist? If so, you need to eat, breath, and sleep zBrush lol. Knowing both MudBox and zBrush is the best way to go about it. Though just master one at a time. Unless you are working in mobile, most character artists are now STARTING in zBrush with zSpheres and Dynamesh and then rebuilding the low poly after the final sculpt and baking it down. Its just about the norm now. Though a lot still start with a low poly base in Maya/3DSMX, and then sculpt, and then bake. As a character artist, recruiters sometimes look at hundreds day after day, and so the goal is to stand out. Once again, make the character burn a lasting image. Give him a scar, or at least one prominent feature. It adds character and asymmetry, as well as tells a story.

EDIT: Also, I am not sure what is going on with below the chin and inside the upper brow, it might be the render. But it looks like there is a gap of some sort. I am sure you can see that within your image as well ;)
  • DarkStar
    hey Adder,

Yes your are right about the fact that i should use zbrush a little bit more. But i mainly wanted to workout my topology skill's before starting the real thing and since i've just got out of university, my modeling skill are a little rusted.

Thank for your great comment i really appreciated it.

here's a other update.

• BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like you don't have enough skull on top. Can you post a side view render and possibly a straight on one?