Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Linkies, a Indie iOS game

Hey fellow artists!

I'm the sole artist here at VisualDreams and we are currently working on our upcoming game, Linkies. We are a small indie team of three developers. Two coders and one artist and have released two prior games, Capcom published Herman the Hermit and Slam Dunk Basketball.

Linkies is a physics based connect game built in Unity 3D. The game is built in full 3D with lightmapped backgrounds and rigged/animated characters. We have tried to really give the characters life by adding many expressions to the rig. We still have about 1½ months left in development so there are a few features and a lot of polish left.

LinkiesBeta_low.jpg

We are currently looking for beta testers for it as the beta will launch in about two weeks. To register for the beta simply follow THIS LINK and register, it takes a minute and after that installation etc is handled directly to your device through email. The beta is for iOS only!

http://tflig.ht/KFBoEh

Here is a capture from the alpha...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENtf7DBLfCs"]Linkies Alpha Gameplay - YouTube[/ame]

If anyone is interested in how the backgrounds were built, character creation, gui animations, development in Unity or whatever I will gladly create some tutorials or blogpost about anything requested.

www.VisualDreams.se

Facebook.png Twitter.png YouTube.png blogger.png

Replies

• VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Come on people, don't be afraid to sign up for the beta. We won't publicly ridicule everyone that is bad at the game during the beta... Just a selected few ;)

No, seriously. We really appreciate all the testing we can get, and there are more than a few people with keen eyes for game art in here to give great feedback on that part.
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We will be sending out Linkies Beta #2 today!

We have been listening to all the great feedback from the first beta and have made the levels alot smoother and have also added a system to add stages into each level to make them a little longer. A main menu have also been added as well as a real early version of a endless mode.

Main.png

So if anyone want to try it simply register through THIS LINK

Thank you guys!

www.VisualDreams.se

Facebook.pngTwitter.pngYouTube.pngblogger.png
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Really nice fun and cute art style. I don't have time to take part in a beta but good luck with the project. Will try and pick it up when it's done!
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought I would add some captures of the four worlds (we are gonna have five). They are built in a straight line meaning that the player can scroll between them without loadtimes etc. There are also things inbetween to get the feel of a progress between worlds.

Anyways, here they are. Feel free to comment and critique and I will try to fix any issues you guys have. Will try to get a video capture as well so you can see it in motion (looks a lot better with all animations working).

World 1
    World1.png

World 2
    World2.png

World 3
    World3.png
    World 4
    World4.png

Thanks guys!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Oh wow, this looks awesome, actually. I love those style of games, but the dragging your finger is such a nice touch. Signed up!
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget to add your devices through the FlightTest Confirmation email :)

(open the email with your device or login to their site through your device)
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats dude....the game looks fun and the style rocks. Any info on how the backgrounds were done would be greatly appreciated. Request sent for beta testing.
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sketch81 wrote: »
    Congrats dude....the game looks fun and the style rocks. Any info on how the backgrounds were done would be greatly appreciated. Request sent for beta testing.

The game is made with Unity 3D and the backgrounds are built of a mix of both transparent planes, opaque 3d meshes and a lot of UV animations and some vertex shaders for animations on the leaves. Lights are baked with Unitys Beast light engine, really smooth and fast.

Hope this gives you an idea of how the backgrounds are set up.

I gotta say that I love Unity, first game we have made with Unity and coming from Maya it is just perfect, everything works like you want it to :P

Splits.png

Edit: Damn photobucket lowres...
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oooh those large images you posted are lovely. Yeah Unity is great. I'm in the process of experimenting with it along with UDK, and in terms of ease of use and speed just getting things done Unity is just amazing.
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just captured a video of the scrolling between all worlds. It is captured in real wide aspect ratio so the player won't see this much (they will see it in the images size), just thought you guys could get to see how it's all built up.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YguES0-8W00&hd=1"]Linkies Background - Youtube[/ame]

Enjoy!
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    this style is amazingggg, i love how every part is moving, bending in the wind, or water is dripping on the leaves

good stuff!
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To those who registered and added a device, check your inbox. Your beta should be there waiting for you ;)
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the info and screen shots. I've started playing the first few levels and I've got to say it's a really fun and addictive game. I'm also loving the music...it's very catchy and I've found myself whistling the tune around the house. Good stuff.
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sketch81 wrote: »
    Thank you for the info and screen shots. I've started playing the first few levels and I've got to say it's a really fun and addictive game. I'm also loving the music...it's very catchy and I've found myself whistling the tune around the house. Good stuff.

That is great to hear, there is nothing better than hearing that people like the game you developed :)

I will forward your comment to our soundguy, I'm sure he would love to hear that. We have been pushing him real hard to compose a song that fit the game and I think he is onto something with this one.
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I started working on the final world today, just blocking out the shapes I want as center piece.

The idea is that through the game more and more mechanical objects will be added (as seen in world 1-4) and the final world is the "boss" that is poluting the poor yellow creatures (aka linkies) world.

So for the final world I started blocking out a wrecked robot. I will have it animated, eyes moving, steam pumping and the jaw opening hurling out shapes into the water, the fingers twitching or something.

It just has a default texture and 2 minute lighting since I'm focusing on the shapes.

Feel free to paintover or whatever, I am really just mocking around here and inspiration and ideas are really welcome :) Also it's friday so I'm quite lazy...

World5Mockup-1.png
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Finally got a chance to play. I actually really like it! I love the levels that have moving objects. Makes it much harder. feels great when you have a bunch of bombs that hitting one explodes the whole level because of the chain reaction. haha.

great job, so far!
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, have been working away at the last world. Got the shapes as I wanted them and started texturing the crude machine.

World5WIP.png

Will rig the damned thing se how it animates, have a few texture issues to fix as well.. The horribly stretched pipe thats closests for instance :P
  • Michael1
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    very nice work!!
    great job making a simple game idea into a great fun looking game!
    in awe!
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm done with this one. Will probably mess around with the lighting a bit more later on but this will do for now.

World5.png

Waiting for the coders to hand me a script to randomize between a few different idles but here is a test animation anyway.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRQ061bg4RI&hd=1"]Linkies Final World - YouTube[/ame]

Now I will try to make a short intro where the monster comes alive and starts spewing out shapes into the world. Hope to get away with a few close ups and a intro animation for the robot.. 30 seconds max..

Some feedback people, there has to be stuff that sucks that I can fix :P
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice creative stuff. Can't think of anything to crit.

With the textures are you using any normal maps at all?
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori wrote: »
    Really nice creative stuff. Can't think of anything to crit.

With the textures are you using any normal maps at all?

No just using diffuse and lightmaps. The textures sometimes look kinda funky to work with the strong colors in the lightmap so it's alot of tweaking textures together with tweaking lights.
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made the first quick draft for the short intro where the robot comes alive and starts spewing out shapes, the emitter that spawns the shapes will need a little work though. The tutorial intro will start after this where some shapes fall down and the characters flee the screen.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmYxIvgpIQQ&hd=1"]Linkies, Short Intro - YouTube[/ame]

I also made some effects for the consumeable powerups the player can purchase and activate. The A-Bomb is kinda like a level skip so therefor I wanted it to be quite massive. Here is a capture of it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLvGMGZrZYw&hd=1"]Linkies, A-Bomb Powerup - YouTube[/ame]

Hopefully the device won't die from the light because of the fillrate, it is a plane with animated alpha to create the lightflash. The bomb is a simple mesh with texture offset animation.

I'm quite done with the art now, all worlds finishes, rough intro in place so I will mostly be adding animations to the characters and polishing stuff.
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just tried adding some props to the characters that they are going to put on randomly between animation loops. The props follow the characters joints so they work on "all" animations.

Pirates.png
  • Oleg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oleg polycounter lvl 14
    The game looks amazing ! The art is really a pleasure to look at it. The game play looks fresh to , can't wait to see more ! Good job guys !
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since the art content is mostly complete I'm putting in some easter eggs.. Also I'm really psyched since I'm gonna go see the Dark Knight Rises tonight..

I'm Batman!
    Batman.png
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FB.png
    We have finally sent Linkies in for review. Four months of development and the two weeks of total crunch but we made it!

We are planning some suprises for the release that is going to be in September but untill then here is a Gameplay Trailer that we put together, enjoy!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR1lrMVpoEQ&hd=1"]Linkies Gameplay Trailer[/ame]

And some screenshots:
    iPad_Screenshot1.png
    iPad_Screenshot2.png
    iPad_Screenshot3.png
    iPad_Screenshot4.png
    iPad_Screenshot5.png

www.VisualDreams.se

Facebook.png Twitter.png YouTube.png blogger.png
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you ever wondered how much a game generate in revenue on launch day? We sure have and with launch day coming closer we got a (hopefully) great idea.
    Why not put up a site where people can see much a indie developer really earn on launch day?

So we did... And on the 6th of September you can follow the launch of Linkies at www.linkies.se

We will present, total number of downloads, earned revenue and position on the US top charts for our new game Linkies in REALTIME!

The countdown has started!

Countdown.png
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now we are live and so is www.linkies.se where you can se our downloads racking up in realtime!

We have already got some coverage from a few sites such as PocketGamer and we are really excited about the release!
    No secrets with VisualDreams as it launches Linkies with a real-time download counter.

Set the information free!

Swedish developer VisualDreams is bringing a new level of transparency to sales of its new iOS game Linkies.

On the game website, there's a real-time counter listing the total number of sales and gross revenue, and position in the US paid chart.

And from our experiment - i.e. a game purchase - it appears to works. - PocketGamer
    Check out the launch trailer below, hope you like the fluffy and colorful artstyle :P
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the art style. Well done guys. Picking the game up now...
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Free version of Linkies is now available on the AppStore for those who haven't tried it yet!

iTunes link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/linkies-free/id561678270?mt=8
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Currently downloading!
    This game looks beautiful :)
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I gotta say it's great! I Haven't had a chance to play it for very long, but my wife (who normally isn't interested in ipad games) saw me playing it and she was immediately interested. She had a go and was loving the game. So looks like you guys did a great job of appealing to a large user base. Nice work!