Home Technical Talk

Going from Max to Maya, the Unwrapping Edition

Hello,

Maya has recently been a pain in my ass because of the way it handles things. So I have a few specific questions that relate to my workflow on unwrapping something, and I hope someone can help me out.

Selecting an edge / face in the UV editor :
Max can do this fine. When I select a face in either the viewport or the UV texture editor in Maya, the rest of my UV shells disappear and I have no reference of where anything is anymore.

Is there any way to lock the selection so that I'm only dealing with this one object and its UV shells? At least, is there a way to select faces and still see the shell of the whole object?

Also, I can't seem to select edges in the UV editor itself, even if I right click -> Edge. When I try to click on something, it deselects the Object and table flipping ensues. Sometimes it's quicker to see which edge is connected where from the UV shell instead of having to find the edge and click on the edge in the viewport.

Stitching Edges :
This brings me to my next problem, stitching edges. In Max, I could just select the edge, right click, stitch selected and the poly or shell that is connected to it will move over and stitch itself on that one edge. In Maya, it seems like I can only sew verts, and when I try the move and sew function, it will stitch other edges I don't want since it's stitching verticies. This is driving me up the wall.

I've come to realize that the way you unwrap in Maya is that you have to select the polys and such from the object itself, and not from the UV Editor. It's just sometimes faster to work straight from the UV Editor than to click on stuff on the object itself.

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Take a look at this, it helped me understand some quirks with maya unwrap.
    https://vimeo.com/16590844
  • Lamuness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a cool video, thanks for that. I was wondering why Maya's unfold was so bad. But when he selects a poly from the viewport, the UV shells in the UV editor don't disappear. Where's that setting?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I am a maya user, and instinctively when trying to manipulate UVs, I expect to select UVs to do so.

If you want to select edges, do so in the the viewport, it makes more sense this way and ctrl f12 is your friend (convert selection to UVs).

When you select faces, select many, and then subtract select the ones you don't want.

If you want to isolate select.... select faces, like you were complaining about previously... there is a rhyme and reason for it.

Maya sew/move and sew is designed to work on edges... just look at the tooltip and you will see, selecting an edge is easier because many UVs can belong to a single edge but an edge always belongs to the same edge regardless of UV configuration.
  • JackyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackyBoy polycounter lvl 10
    respawnrt wrote: »
    Take a look at this, it helped me understand some quirks with maya unwrap.
    https://vimeo.com/16590844

this is awesome.
  • Lamuness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks M4dcow. I guess the biggest problem I have with Maya is that if I select a face, I can't directly manipulate it without having to convert to UVs first. The other thing is when I select a face on my object in the viewport, the other faces / shells that I've already laid out disappear. I like to see where all my UV shells are at all times, and it's something that max has on default. I just can't find the setting for the one in Maya.