Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brink Character Archetype

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
MrNinjutsu greentooth
Hello!

091009_04.jpg

I'll be attempting this concept by Laurel Austin for the game Brink.

kENEe.jpg

Damn, the art style is cool.

What I have So Far

7582747248_493b829951_k.jpg

brinkchar.gif

Replies

• MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    XmH1g.png

Trying to nail down those proportions and muscles, even though clothes will cover the majority of all of it, I thought it would be good practice.

5uYmO.png
  • Lando_Viggo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lando_Viggo polycounter lvl 8
    Real sweet man, you got something really good going on here, and I can tell by the sculpt that you've stuck to the concept real nice. Just three small things I noted, feedback-style:
    1. The chin looks a bit thicker on your model than on the concept of the face, since it feels like a pretty important characteristic for his "hawk face look", I'd scale it down a bit if you can : )
    2. The anatomy is really nice and stylish, but from the concept, I get the impression that the class is a somewhat agile, spy-ish commando guy. All small bags, light armor, and stuff. You model feels a bit stronger and big-ish, like the thick neck and stuff. Since you'll add armor to that, the chances are his sillouette might be a bit bigger than intended when you end up with the final product, if you don't change it at this stage : )
    3. Form the concept, I get the feel this guy's a bit asian/middel east-ish, but your model gives me more of a african american feel.. albeit just a little. Might wanna check out some of that : )

A part from that, real nice man, looks slick and true to the game's style. Looking forward to the rest :)
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Thanks so much for the feedback Lando, really appreciate the crit. After taking a bit of a break since the post I got a little bit carried away without looking back at this thread, thinking no one will reply so soon. So when I go back to this guy I will definitely make all those changes as I agree especially on the ethnicity of the face.

kMceh.jpg

It's real hard to get those proportions right and as you said he does look like he would be more brutish rather than the agile commando look I should be going for so i've tried to make it more that way? I'm blocking in the suit to see how it looks. I think it could be toned down a bit and make him slimmer?
  • Lando_Viggo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lando_Viggo polycounter lvl 8
    @MrNinjutsu
    No prob man, glad I could help. Yeah, I def think you can slim him a bit more if you want to, the anatomy's nice and solid over all I think, just need to make him look a bit more agile.. but you're def getting there : D The armor looks nice too!
    Work on~ Will be nice to see the progress of this.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    @Lando_Viggo Spending some more time to get that feel, I polypainted the skin to get the feel of the character, hopefully he looks more asian/middle-eastern look.

KTwlj.png
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    I love it! Really nice job!
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    @Lephenix Thanks!

XKEiw.png

Building the smaller detail stuff so I can start to properly sculpt the pants wrinkles. Man I'm nervous of tackling them!
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    I love this art style. I was thinking bout doing a Brink character as well. This is coming along nicely man. I think the protective vest could be thicker and the jaw line more angular and narrower though
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    afisher wrote: »
    I love this art style. I was thinking bout doing a Brink character as well. This is coming along nicely man. I think the protective vest could be thicker and the jaw line more angular and narrower though

You should man!

Thanks for the advice, hopefully I will be applying those changes in the next-next update, whenever that may be :)
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    RsZKX.png

Working more on the clothing some more. I still need to do the groves/boot print on the boots, thinking of just utilizing masks to get the job done.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great so far. Keep rockin'!
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    @Rion4111 cheers!

Some more progress.

Think i'm done with the high poly?

zjTFz.png
  • mariomanzanares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
    Hi!

I think you are done with the high poly, and if you keep modeling maybe you spoil it by over detailing it. I want to ask you: Have you modeled all the clothes in one single tool in Zbrush? I'm doing one armor (the first one since I've learned Zbrush) and I don't know if it is done in a single mesh or in multiple ones.

Thanks and sorry for my bad English!
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good man. My 2 cents: I think the bicep is sitting a little low on the arm. I think you need to subtlety breakup the smoothness of the pants on his butt because the rest of the pants have a lot of folds and it's looking a bit inconsistent. His under shirt is also looking a bit smooth (particularly on the outer side of the arm). But anyway it's looking good dude :)
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    @mariomanzanres Many subtools but overall yes, one tool in zbrush. Modelled them first in max then transferred them over as subtools in zbrush.

@afisher hopefully i've fixed those issues, if not i'll go back and rebake! Thanks again for the compliments, greatly appreciated.

7577418072_38c2c8d63c_k.jpg

So this is the bake, had to fix a couple minor issues here and there but nothing too ridiculous. Now onto texturing!
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    going to call it a night and continue tomorrow on the texture.

U6VE6.png
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    possibly done now?

7582747248_493b829951_k.jpg

also gif turnaround...

brinkchar.gif
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Damn, you are fast : O

I really like it!
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good :) I think the skin might need some more love to make it feel more alive. Looks like your AO is black and white which would explain the muddy skin. Try tinting the AO in the skin area to a slight reddy brown or something. A slight cavity map could help you aswell on the rest of the model but keep it toned down on the skin if you do use one, otherwise you get too much highlights on them.

cheers :)
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    @c86G Thanks mate, glad you like it!

@crazyfool

Thanks for the much needed feedback, never thought of using a cavity map so i'll bake one out soon and I'll tweak the skin some more! Render it out properly, somehow.

Thanks again dude!
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    looking good dude!
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HOW DID I NOT FIND THIS EARLIER. D:

Looks sweet! Awesome work and I'm really digging the style. :)
  • Darkleopard
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work! :D It's been a pleasure to see the progress on this one :)
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    @toxic_h2o Thanks! Glad you like it :)

@Stoop_Kid haha all credit goes to Laruel Austin for that one!

@Darkleopard Appreciated :D

@chrisradsby ah thanks mate!

I had put this on the back seat (and missed people commenting on it) for a couple of days so I think I'll take it up again to make those changes that dustinbrown suggested which is always appreciated :)

Looking back at this now I can definitely see areas in which I could improve on to match the concept more.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Dude, three things:

1: The highpoly is great.
    2: The lowpoly is dragging it down, hard.
    3: The concept is in perspective, silly! You cant just line that shit up. Everything gets ultra-squashed from top to bottom in your version, it's like you put him beside the concept and tried to match the proportions without accounting for the perspective..
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Are you using Marmoset for your final render? If so you can play with the perspective in the view section. It should help it look less fish eyed.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Great feedback Joseph. Once i'm done with my other random character I'll come back to this and work super hard on making the low poly better match the concept.

I used the marmoset engine Di$array, I didn't mess around with the cameras and maybe i'm thinking I should now or alternatively use a lighting setup in max/maya to get some better results.