Home General Discussion

Mudbox or Zbrush for Environment Art?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
I need to learn a sculpting package, is Zbrush the most prevalent tool used in the industry? I've played with both and I like Mudbox because it's very intuitive, Zbrush seems to be more powerful but the interface really throws me off.
Which one should I focus on for environment art?

Replies

• nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    different strokes different folks, zbrush is more powerful but i found it hard to use. Mudbox was easier but lacked some features. Use whatever gets the work done for you
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    I learned Mudbox first and lived to regret it.

2.5d is awesome for textures, dynamesh and insert brushes are awesome, fibermesh for trees or grass, decimation master for most of enviro retopo needs, Zspheres - very comfy for blockouts and once again - amazing for trees, UV master's there too. And on top of all that it just could handle 5 times more polys on my machine.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just bite down and learn zbrush
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Zbrush is excellent for 3D concepting and organic stuff. Need a freaky Gigeresque tileset? Do pretty much the entire thing in Zbrush and you're good to go.

Need to work with actual textures and sculpt from a lot of base meshes without potentially screwing up the underlying geometry? Mudbox is probably the better fit. Mudbox is also good for doing realtime renders of high-poly geo by using their post processing stuff.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    id go for 3d coat.
  • 3DKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    I LOVE mudbox for the texturing side. Never have to have seams ever again. it also does basic normal detail stamping pretty well.

Zbrush though with Dynamesh... can't beat that workflow... Dynamesh is so fast for creating anything.

i would use both if i could.
  • encore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    encore polycounter lvl 5
    Zbrush includes many features out-of-the-box. While in Mudbox, meh...
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    You should focus on the package you feel more confortable with. I never tried Mudbox, but many people say it's very good.
  • Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zbrush is better stand alone, has many powerful mesh creation tools, and is all around a very broad, versatile package. However, the large quantity of things it can do can be a detractor for someone simply looking for a small portion of it due to the cluttered interface and confusing layout.

Mudbox is a very straight forward, sculpting/painting package. It's incredibly easy to pick up, and works well with other Autodesk applications.

Pick your poison. Zbrush seems to be more powerful, but Mudbox is much easier to learn. If all you want is sculpting, they both do that just fine.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    id go for 3d coat.

I'm curious about this. Is it a money concern? What's the factor that puts 3D Coat over ZBrush/Mudbox for you?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    ZBrush is so far ahead of Mudbox as a sculpting app its almost a joke at this point. About the only reason anyone chooses Mudbox over ZBrush for sculpting is because its easier to learn and has a nice viewport.

Mudbox is great for painting, but BodyPaint3D, 3DCoat, and Mari are all just as good if not better for most things. Even Blender is good other then its lack of layer support.
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    Blender actually has a layer manager add-on in trunk. I've used Blender for sculpting for a good while. I recently got Mudbox, but felt like it was just a new interface to learn for what felt pretty much the same. Now I'm eye balling Zbrush, but money is the limiting factor.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i started out in zb, then used mb when it came out and now mostly use mb.

mudbox was designed as a production tool. its designed for sculpting, painting and map extraction. it was designed to be used along side maya or max and does not duplicate any of the features in those packages. it also has some integration features with those apps such as fbx support with joint support. psd with layers etc. it is designed to maximize hardware usage and push poly count, texture resolution and display speed.

zbrush was designed to be... zbrush. there is a rather sorted history which i will not go into but it was a rather mature application for 'making digital art' when bay raitt and others discovered that it could be used to sculpt models. from there its feature set has incorporated tools to make zbrush production friendly for sculpting, painting and map extraction. and continued to make interesting tools which may or may not be considered 'ready for production use', but interesting and fun to use such as dynamesh, a hair system, ray tracer etc.

there are some differences in what you can do in each app in the core areas of sculpting, painting, map extraction but generally you get the same work done in both apps. so you can choose which one you like. it is a matter of personal preference. the technical distinctions and feature differences only start to matter when you get into a very specialized task. in that case you can say that one is better then the other. if your starting out i would not worry to much about that and just pick the one you feel comfortable with.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I use ZB with Dynamesh.

But in 3DC, you can do entire environments with voxels.

Mudbox is indeed another options, but you will need to have the base already in package.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    I say ZBrush, especially since R4 is out, hands down, zbrush all the way
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I regretted purchasing Mudbox after Skymatter sold out to Autodesk. It was the worst software purchase I ever made by far...

I wish I had spent my money on Zbrush. Not only because of the savings with free upgrades, but also because of the usefulness of the program.
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    Sculpting = Zbrush
    Texture painting = Mudbox

Sculpting in Mudbox is horrible in my opinion but then using spotlight for texture projection painting is just as painful. Overall, you get more bang for your buck with Zbrush though.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r wrote: »
    Sculpting = Zbrush

Sculpting in Mudbox is horrible in my opinion but then using spotlight for texture projection painting is just as painful. Overall, you get more bang for your buck with Zbrush though.

If they could get Mudbox's texture painting into ZBrush, ZB would become a destroyer of worlds with it's awesomeness.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    3Dcoat ftw! ^^
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    Is Zbrush the package that I'm most likely to run into at a studio? How common is it to take the time to do a sculpting pass for environment pieces? It seems you can get pretty close with a Hi > low > NDo/CB workflow.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    well I learned zbrush first, and mudbox was pretty easy to pick up from that point. I doubt it's the same if one goes the other way around...So if your concern is being prepared for what you might encounter I'd learn the one that better equips you to deal with whatever comes your way. Trial by fire. if you can figure out how to effeciently navigate zbrush and end up using Mudbox at work the adjustment should be pretty cake.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Is Zbrush the package that I'm most likely to run into at a studio? How common is it to take the time to do a sculpting pass for environment pieces? It seems you can get pretty close with a Hi > low > NDo/CB workflow.

Everyone with experience will tell you zbrush is the standard for sculpting, there are no 'buts or maybes'. That's not to say we don't use both. A lot of people use both. Mudbox is great for texturing but zbrush just overwhelms it in terms of sculpting. Plus pixologic gives you constant updates for free, unlike most apps where it's a licence per version.

It's actually very common to see a env artist using zbrush. Hardsurface hi > lo is always going to be more common purely because most assets just arent a material type that require it. Cb is fine for assets with small screen time but say there's some big stone statue or modular architecture that has a fairly large screen time it will deserve zbrush love.

An env artist would be expected to be confident with hardsurface hipoly workflow & texturing, zbrush being a bonus, but the senior and more experienced env artists will all know and use zbrush frequently.

Of course a lot of things depend on the company and game style.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Dazz3r wrote: »
    Sculpting = Zbrush

You can use Dynamesh to your advantage for texturing in ZB, I think with a mesh at 8 million vertices translates to 2K pixels of texture space?
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    You can use Dynamesh to your advantage for texturing in ZB, I think with a mesh at 8 million vertices translates to 2K pixels of texture space?

Im curious, Ace-Angel can you please explain this workflow?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not the resolution that's the issue in ZBrush, it's Spotlight. It's just way clunkier to get a texture on the screen for projecting onto your model than it is in Mudbox. Mud is super simple, ZBrush is weird what with that wheel interface and all that.