Home General Discussion

The Newsroom (tv series)

mod
Is anybody watching this show? I find it refreshingly awesome. I love how they use real events from the past. Very good tv drama.

Here is the opening scene of the series to give you the gist of what it's about

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16K6m3Ua2nw"]The most honest three and a half minutes of television, EVER... - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I've been watching The Newsroom and I think it is pretty good.

For some reason it got a alot of shitty reviews. Its first week there was some article talking about it's disappointing premiere of only 2.2 million viewers (Mind you it is the 3rd best HBO series premiere behind Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire).

Made me wonder if alot of this was backlash for the show saying todays media is utter shit :P
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been wanting to make a thread but didn't know how many people on here watched this.

I'm in love with this show, as the people who follow me on twitter know. I think Aaron Sorkin is a god. I'm even going to go as far as to say that I think it is a better show than Game of Thrones. Yes that is an opinion so don't go all geek rage on me. But the only reason I watch game of thrones is the art/fantasy stuff. I think the story is pretty boring and I don't care about any of the characters.

Every episode a ton happens. Game of thrones, probably two minutes for each storyline. On top of that I'm able to watch each episode of The Newsroom multiple times and still find new things.

I don't care what people think as long as HBO gives it the funding to keep going.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Saw that clip on Reddit and made me want to watch the show... but I didn't
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I've heard the first few episodes were great. I've heard the other episodes were OK.
    I haven't seen any yet, though.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    It's still weird seeing Olivia Munn in it, but aside from that it's enjoyable. Can't see it lasting long though, unless by the time they catch up to the current day they start doing more mundane news to fill episodes out.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I've been watching it. I really like the show, but despise the blonde chic, and her fucked up love life. I really wish studios would stop thinking a love conflict has to be part of every show. I don't like any of the episodes centered around her BS.
    I liked ep1, disliked ep2, then liked 3 and 4. Really didn't care for last weeks though, except when Jeff Daniels got upset, because that woman called herself a journalist.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    we're only on episode 3 here in the UK, but i've fallen in love with the show, it's really very good, and there's a lot of open and honest criticism of both modern television and modern politics that a lot of people could and SHOULD learn from. in my opinion.

but yeah, good show =]
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    When I saw the promos, I thought it was some strange series-adaptation of Network.

After watching it, though, it feels very much like it's own thing. I am enjoying it.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Been enjoying this series a lot.