Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique on Cylon \Model

Hello all! I am an animation student at the Art Institute in Vancouver and have recently started getting into 3D modeling (it is part of our animation program). Like my friend nanaelh, I am seeking advice for my CCM 261 course regarding the model I have made. I chose to model the Cylon from the newer "Battlestar Galactica" series. The model I have is currently not textured as it is still a WIP. I'm hoping some of you kind folk can give me some critique on this. Any and all will be appreciated!

rendered5.jpg

rendered4.jpg

rendered3.jpg

rendered2.jpg

rendered1.jpg

If it would help, I can also post the reference images that I used in building this model. Again, I would like to thank all of you in advance

Replies

• JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Looking fine so far but perhaps put up some wire frames so a more pointed critique can be provided.
  • ryan_a
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wireframes, of course! That would be definitely be helpful. Here are a couple of wireframe images of the cylon. Again, any and all help will be appreciated! :)

cylon_wireframe2.jpg

cylon_wireframe.jpg
  • nanaelh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ryan! The model is looking really good so far.

If I could change anything, I'd try to change the pose as his (left-screen) arm is being obstructed by his hip and he just looks all-around-stiff. In terms of modelling, his shoulder plates look a little frail and thin, so I would try to thicken those a bit.

His proportions seem to look balanced thus far. Honestly, I can't see anything else that may spark up a critique (either it's that good or I'm just really tired! zzz)

Nonetheless, it's beginning to look really nice and polished. Keep going with it and you'll be doing really well! :)

Goodluck.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Hi ryan_a.I have only one critique.The Cylons head doesnt look like this.
    It looks like that in bsg:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/225/cylonlifesizefigure.jpg/
    Otherwise it looks good:)
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, that's what got me as well - the head looks a little blobby..
  • ryan_a
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the comments, guys! I did notice that the head was a bit off, and frankly, it was the hardest part of this assignment. Thank you very much for the new reference picture. I shall use it in further refining my model. I do intend to eventually rig it and make use of it in my animation, so all your comments are much appreciated!

and thank you, nana, for the kind words and frank critique! :)
  • BluPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YWAw2.jpg

I want to preface this by saying I dont know anything about Cylons but some issues i see immediatly with your model.

A) this line around the head is not a consistant thickness... it either needs to be one piece or at least have a consistant transition, feels jammed on there.

B) this area of hte model i cant tell whats going on, you need to define your shapes. is there a plate inset there thats then popping out on the bottom? the lines are also very wavy and confusing.

i know its clearly wip but before you move on to sub-d'ing the rest i'd nail down 1 or two pieces to get a feel for the material your modeling, that way you can maintain consistant bevels and surface properties throughout the rest.
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    yes a robot with boobs! haha I might remove those two dots on its chest plate. :)
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    What jumped out at me at first was the background. I see it more than your model. Photo referenced piece of steal with large bolts. A simple solid color or gradient would make your model stand out more.

And like others have said, refine the head more. It looks like he's got a tonsil infection of some sort, or had an allergic reaction to a bee sting. Keep at it, it's almost there. BSG for life!!