Home Technical Talk

Matching Material ID Normal Map Bake Question

Hi, I have been confused trying to bake from a high poly model to a low poly by matching material ids to avoid intersecting. I know that if you have a single mesh in the high poly model and that same mesh is separate pieces in the low poly, you have to match that up by assigning them the same color. For example, if you have a green material assigned to the single mesh in the high poly, then you apply the same green material to the corresponding part in the low poly that has separate pieces. But after applying the projection modifier the cages that cover the separate pieces of the low poly intersect with each other. What am I doing wrong? I feel like I'm over-complicating things for myself or missing something :(

Here is an image to explain it better(this is not the actual model I'm working on obviously it's for simple demonstration of the problem)

A)Some part in my high poly model
B)The same part in my low poly model, but as you can see it consists of 2 separate pieces and they are attached.

matid.jpg

As you could guess the result of the normal map bake isn't very pleasing. I could post images of the problem on the model that I'm working on if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    in maya you can combine to meshes into one mesh, im sure you can do this in max too
  • Gshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that the low poly pieces are attached together.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as I know the Hit Matching Mat ID (?) only works if the Mat ID of one 'Element' matches the same Mat ID of the same 'Element' in the high poly.

If that makes sense :S

Your High poly is all welded together where your low poly is just 2 separate elements. You'll have too separate the two blocks like you have in your low poly on your high poly.

When the High poly is welded together the cage will pick up the right Mat IDs but there will be a noticeable intersect since you're baking 1 piece to 2 pieces.
  • Gshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hang10 wrote: »
    As far as I know the Hit Matching Mat ID (?) only works if the Mat ID of one 'Element' matches the same Mat ID of the same 'Element' in the high poly.

If that makes sense :S

Your High poly is all welded together where your low poly is just 2 separate elements. You'll have too separate the two blocks like you have in your low poly on your high poly.

When the High poly is welded together the cage will pick up the right Mat IDs but there will be a noticeable intersect since you're baking 1 piece to 2 pieces.

Thanks for the quick response. The Mat ID numbers do match in both. I want to maintain the continuity in the mesh when I bake my normal map, so if I separate the two blocks in the high poly as I have in the low poly then wouldn't it lose that continuity?(or transition whatever you want to call it)

I should also mention that at first it was all single continuous mesh in the low poly as well but then I had to detach the small pieces from the side tube thing to be able to unwrap it easily with "Wrap" in the unwrap modifier menu.

Here are some images to explain it all better. This is driving me insane now I'd really appreciate any help.

A)Low Poly
    B)High Poly
    C)Resulting Bake

62168624.jpg
    lowpolyw.jpg
    highpoly.jpg
    bakee.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    The projection cage of your lo poly is interpentrating because you have split the low poly model into separate elements. try stitchiong them together, and double check your splits.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Your lowpoly geo is intersecting but your highpoly geo is one smooth mesh. Try merging and joining the lowpoly or adjusting the cage by hand so that part that has the dodgy normals is shooting its rays in the right direction.
  • Gshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your help guys :) I was able to solve the issue by connecting the low poly pieces together again even though it messed up my unwrap a little bit. I had to unwrap the pieces again but nothing too hard.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to unwrap splines that have been converted to editable poly and extruded pieces of it and such where it all needs to be a continuous mesh?
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Gshot wrote: »
    Do you guys have any suggestions on how to unwrap splines that have been converted to editable poly and extruded pieces of it and such where it all needs to be a continuous mesh?

I use XrayUnwrap. Makes it pretty easy to unwrap such stuff in 3ds max. You just select the edges where you want the seam, then it unfolds it automatically. Little rectifying and straightening loops afterwards and it's done.