Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

my VFX thread

So I have started working with particle effects in Cascade. Here a couple videos of 2 effects:

effect made with 2 meshes and one 256x256 texture
[vv] 46294627 [/vv]

effect made with one mesh and one 256x256 texture
[vv] 46294417 [/vv]

Please give feedback.

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I like the mushrooms.

Maybe work on your presentation though? Why is the camera so far away? The effect should be as close to the screen as possible to show off your work.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Beautiful, especially the fairies around the heart, but yeah, schooch that camera in a little bit! And lower the height of it.
  • matthew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the replies. The reasoning for the quick renders was I wanted to get feedback before I did the final renders. But I will definitely take your feedback to heart though because it is hard to give feedback on something you cant see. =)
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    I'm with the others, zoom that camera a lot closer in. I like the fairy animation, but the particles decay to abruptly for me. I'd rather them go another 25-50% higher and fade out more abruptly.

Mushrooms look sweet, but shouldn't there be more crumbs, and in larger chunks? After popping, they all look more or less vaporized but with so much mushroom mass, there should be more debris.
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    I didn't realise they were fairies around the heart, they made me think of flies (like the kind of effect you see by a dumpster for example) :poly122: Nice idea though. Agree that there could be more and bigger chunks from the mushrooms. Is there a reason they grow in a circle and not an area?
  • matthew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updated the movies so people can actually see what is going on.
  • imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imbueFX polycounter lvl 5
    I really dig your style, it's refreshing to see someone trying their own things instead of the standard muzzle-flashes and explosions =)

I'd say as the mushrooms explode, there's a disconnect between the pre-exploded state and the aftermath. It's missing an element of pop or flash, or even an outward push. Your mist/smoke particles are just too large initially, getting those to start small and then get to that size would really sell this better. It can happen very fast too, just a couple frames to get those to be so dispersed.

Hope that helps, and keep up the good work!
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Cool effects, though I think the heart pickup needs an animation or something at the end, for example like the player just picked it up. Also, it might look neat if the heart was semi-transparent and had a nice reflection.

Really like the exploding mushrooms one, but give that cloud a size/life modifier and it would be cool to see some little spore particles flying out as well.

This is some solid work, I'm going to have my own VFX reel up soon hopefully, goodluck!