Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beginner Works.. Please critique..

Hi guys, I'm new to polycount..icon15.gif
This is a thread for the work I've been doing that I don't think are absolute shit..
Suggestions and critiques are really appreciated. :poly121:

ibfrOHDvgpsgJD.jpg

i2tXfjKmNX5nI.jpg
ijUgOpSntWg9Z.jpg
ibolvOwRMK6Vtq.jpg
ibhI2NvPinQFDO.jpg

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • c22dunbar
    Offline / Send Message
    c22dunbar polycounter lvl 14
    there is some weird stuff going on with those meshes. post wires please.

it seems like You're not using (or using incorrectly) meshsmoothing in those HighPoly models. Go and look up subdivision modelling on that subject.

regarding those ingame models:

ij_Ug_Op_Snt_Wg9_Z.jpg]

the roof.

first of all dont save up so much on those polys. model the waviness of that metal sheets. that metal texture should go on the separate tiling texture file, this way You'll be able to use it wherever You want without loading unnecessary data. Also You might try modeling the high poly and baking down the curvature to the normal map.

the gas pump: use less noise on textures. it's hard to read them now. google racer445's tutorials on hard surface texturing. also if You're using dedicated texture space, bake down the normals from high poly models.

check this out: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98289 regarding good texturing witout noise abuse.

don't put many models to one texture. try to divide them according to what the model represents. for example, You may want to use just the model of the gas pump somewhere else, or just that little shack to stand in the middle of some desert. right now You'll always load up the whole texture every time. If You divide it into theme driven textures like: metal, wood, gas pump, brick, etc. You'll be able to reuse them more efficiently later.

bevel those 90 degrees edges, it's gonna increase the polycount slightly, but will look way better.

overall, use some nice shaders like xoliul shader or 3point shader for max or something that can display normalmaps in maya. OR use Marmoset Toolbag for presentation. right now it's diffuse only = shit. some dramatic lightning = sexy.
  • hari.gunner4life
    thank you very much for your input guys.. will look into the areas mentioned... :D