Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Storm learning character creation

Hey guys!

I have been a lurker on the site and after some motivation from a member I have joined to get feedback and learn more about character art!

I am pretty new to this, only been doing character art for about four months. I use zbrush for sculpting and Maya for base mesh and block out work!

So here is my current piece that I would really appreciate any crit that I can learn from! I want to start with the face because I personally think I am very weak with creating the face. This particular piece I didn't really have a reference (Next one will, I promise!). Any techniques or any crit as I said, I will take with open arms!

WIP.png

Replies

• leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    do you have some more images so we can judge the head a bit better?
  • innervision961
    Hey Stormfreek! Character art is a daunting task to be sure, but very rewarding! I'm no expert on the matter, but you are off to a great start man! Don't be afraid of those ears, get in there with clay/standard and do them up proper!

I can't overstate this enough, and I have/had the same problem, USE REFERENCE! Everyone told me the same thing, and I always felt like it was cheating, but I promise you, it is NOT! Even if you aren't modeling the exact person in your reference, use their features for you own benefit. Look closely at how lips work, how they connect, how the fat pads and creases.

Study anatomy, its boring (it can be anyway), it is tedious but it is by far the best thing an aspiring character artist can do.

Imagine where you will be 4 months from now if you keep up this work, if you really take a critical eye to your work and iterate it and focus on the parts you're weakest at.

I'd say with this model, overall proportion is close but could be tweaked, the ears definitely need love, and the lips for sure. You should pick one of these features and just do it, study it and work it until you've nailed it... Then pick a reference with a different style and start over!

Good luck! Don't forget to check the wiki here on polycount, youtube has a ton of great speedsculpts (just search for that) lunchcrunch.org too, and don't forget zbrushcentral. If you'd like to take it even further, I recommend eat3d's character and zbrush tutorials, so much good info there.
  • Stormfreek
    innervision961,

Thanks man! I will use reference from now on! Those ears haha, yeah I need to really make them into shape, I will find a reference and stick with it :P

I have a few questions, how would you create wrinkles? I use the Dam_Standard brush most of the time to make any wrinkles and alphas for pores etc. Is this the best way?

When studying anatomy, what is the best way to do this? Would it be to simply examine important features in detail? I guess that ties in with using a reference!

I will start on your crit right away! For now here are shots of other views of the head as requested by Ravenslayer, what I think would be much more helpful would be for me to start again with a reference and understanding of anatomy. Should be fun :D

They are just quick renders, no fuss:

f0aafae362684086a34a174.png
    bc81dff6884b49a3bce0962.png
  • innervision961
    Well from what I can tell there is no "best" way to study anatomy, other than to just get in there and get your hands dirty with it. No one in there right mind expects you to know the name of every bone and muscle in the human body, if you can do that then great, otherwise you're like the rest of us. :) Here is a great place to start:

http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryReferenceAnatomy

Knowing all the technical details isn't as important to you as an artist as just knowing that something is there and how it looks/works/connects.

As far as wrinkles and micro details, I'm definitely not an expert here, but again I'll point you to http://eat3d.com/zbrush4_character there is a lot of great information there. But I'd say dam_standard, the standard brush, inflate and masking are going to be your best bet for wrinkles and folds. Don't be afraid to mask a piece off then grab the move brush and pull a piece over top and over lap it (if that makes sense).
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    First of its certainly a decent start.

i agree with what innervision is saying in regards of reference. use it ALL THE TIME ;)

look at tradional sculpters and how they build up sculpts, i find this very educative

when sculpting a head or anything organic you need to think of the most basic structure thats holding everything together first. so for the head thats ofcourse the skull.

human_skull_side.jpg

try to get all of those shapes in there first, know where all the landmarks are so you can then start adding more formto the sculpt, i`m not saying you need to sculpt the entire skull but what i like to do is get the big indents and extrudes of the skull in the basic headshape first like the malar bone and the temporal bone

overpaintstorm1.png

- build up slowly while sculpting, dont jump to the highest subdiv from the beginning or you`ll have trouble getting the forms to read right.

- nature doesn't like straight lines, what i mean with that is shapes and forms flow into eachother, they overlap . sometimes in a subtle way and sometimes its more obvious. a good example of those straight lines is in the mouth you sculpted , the bottom lip just goes from one edge to the other instead of flowing in and out of the mouth cavity

- drop the details, microdetails dont make something look realistic if the underlying form isnt there. I wouldnt worry about any details for now just worry about the big shapes. be rough in the beginning and refine in the later stages.

anyway gl cant wait to see you progress on these boards :)
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    ravenslayer knows whats up. your head model lacks definitive bone structure and form right now. i suggest looking up ryan kingslien on youtube and check out his lectures. goodluck
  • Stormfreek
    Thank you so much Garriloa83, Ravenslayer and innervision961! I have started to hand draw bone structure, try to remember land marks and remember the shape that they create. I am looking at many videos from ryan kingslien as well, he is a fantastic instructor.

Just a quick question, I think the most educative way I could do this, is by starting of with a sphere rather than a base mesh. Is this a good way to go? I will update this thread with progress I make!
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    imo a sphere makes you do all the work and remember the shapes/proportions better.

i did a livestream recently where i made a torsostudy from a sphere, maybe it helps you a bit to see how i approach it http://www.livestream.com/polydrawer/video?clipId=pla_9e12f93b-7f88-49ff-b39d-cebf2e7041a2