Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] The Tropical Island

Latest update sample:

volcanowip30.jpg

Hello Polycount!

I'm finally getting around to posting my latest environment. Should have done it a while ago, but I've been caught up making miniature tweaks to it for too long. Now I long for some good feedback to take my scene to the next level!

So to sum it up; this is a tropical environment with a volcano island. Originaly I had all sorts of crazy plans for an erupting volcano and what not, but as I got working on this I realised I liked this more "plain look" better, although be it a bit clich

Replies

• Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Hi!

I think your scene is looking really nice, and it is certainly a starting point for a nice portfolio piece. Some things to consider:

This island tells no story aside from a geological story I suppose.

The large boulders on the beach do not make too much sense, that's not really where they would be placed- rocks don't really float like that and it's not clear where they came from.

The water level might be too high. Beaches tend to be more gradual, this goes from forest - > ocean with a very slight beach transition which seems unnatural. Sand gets everywhere in real life. It should be up quiet a bit higher in this scene.

There is no key focus. Yes, you have a couple of nice establishing shots - but where's the meat of your scene? Is this a place where someone has survived alone ala Cast Away? Is there some sort of tribe of people on this island? In short, there's no reason to investigate it - I have no curiosity toward what the island represents or why it is here aside from "It's an island". HOnestly - I would put some smoke or something coming out of the volcano, because it just reads "I'm a hill!" without it.

But head up! I think it's strong as it is, but it has a lot more potential as a setting for something else.

I love ship wrecks! :)

Keep the thread updated please. I'd love to see your progress!
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    It's looking sweet so far. Although I agree with "Seaseme" on every point, especially about the scene currently lacking a defined point of interest, I think you should re-add the ship you did earlier.

I would also, personally, like a different light setting, because I find the midday scenario rather boring, compared to what I think a dusk or dawn setting could look like.

Other than that it's shaping up to a nice portfolio piece. Goody work!
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! :)

I actually started making a modern shipwreck for this scene a while back, but got a bit inpatient I guess and decided to post it before the ship was ready to be added. I will make sure to get it into the scene quite soon. While on the subject of ships I'd be thankful for any hints/tips/advices on how to set to textures for such big things.

Some subtle smoke will be added to the volcano in the future for sure.

Does anyone know if there is any way to keep multiple light and fog set-ups in one map and easily toggle between them?

Today's update is just small lighting test I did today for variation. Still not sure exactly what light to go for in final version.

Feedback is very welcome!

volcanowip22red.jpg
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good. IMO I'm actually a bit sick of Crysis style/island environments, however with this last shot you could make something unique. I'd go for an alien world look, make the greens into blue, the sky can stay but you could put a few planets up there. The sand could be red-ish and the water can be a dark olive-green. Go for unique!

As for toggling between different light/fog set-ups, all I can think of would be to group your light/s and fog into their respective groups and in their properties just toggle the enabled check box.
  • DLoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
    I agree with some of what's been said. It really needs some kind of focal point or area of interest. A ship wreck, some ruins, a camp of sorts or whatever. I would also look at some reference for rocky beaches. The rocks should probably be more densely placed and have a greater variety of sizes.

That said, what you have so far looks fantastic! The foliage, ground textures, terrain, and lighting are all coming along nicely
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good - I like the dusk lighting and @danpaz3d's idea isn't half bad :)
    The scene just needs something to set it apart from other Crysis-style scenes.
    Sorken wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is any way to keep multiple light and fog set-ups in one map and easily toggle between them?

I have found a great tutorial for changing weather in UDK that is triggered by an object pickup. Which you should be able to utilise for yourself, as it details swapping between HeightFog actors using Kismet and Matinee.

As you are only using real-time lighting in your scene, replace your DominantDirectionalLight with some DirectionalLightToggleable actors - one for each lighting set-up that you want.
    Then you can turn them on and off using Kismet.

I hope it helps!
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help and feedback!

Small update:
    * Added the boat.
    * Repainted the rocks so that they form more of a rocky beach, hopefully making more sense.
    * Tweaked lightning and post process among other things.

Next things to make is improve the sky , and then some small tweaks. And hopefully I will have time/energy for the a second lighting mood.

Now it's time for pretty pictures. All feedback is highly appreciated.

volcanowip27red.jpg
    volcanowip28red.jpg
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Looking much better, though I'd like to see more blue in the sky rather than the quite strong purple you've got going on right now. I think the stars and the moon would read better then as well.
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback! Here is a small update:

*Tweaked sky.
    * Added floating debris and lifeboat and birds.
    * Added new day light setting for variation.

volcanowip30.jpg

volcanowip31.jpg

volcanowip32.jpg

volcanowip33.jpg
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    i suspect proportions are somewhat not right and your forest is too scarce

overall, i doesnt feel quite right for now
  • MystiqueX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MystiqueX polycounter lvl 7
    My favorite angle is the second shot in your last update. I like the overall atmosphere and concept, but the rocks still need some improvement IMO. You could place some seaweed on them and sand to make them look more grounded. While the ship textures look pretty good to me from the screenshots provided, it doesn't really look broken - a broken mast hanging to one side, a damaged railway, maybe some debris floating around or stuck in the shallow waters. It might be just an illusion, but the crates and rocks have very similar colors and it takes a little bit of effort to distinguish between them (they read ok with regular light though).
    I hope it helps. Looking forward for more updates on this project.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    It doesn't feel right because the "mountain" isn't high enough, it makes the trees look weird when placed beside it. It's the angle of the slope. You need more room to have the terrain actually build up into a mountain OR have a mountain mesh way way way way back.

When you want to have a think looking palm-tree forest kind of thing going on you need some bigger medium-sized bushed to be placed near the trunk of all the trees.
    DSC_3199.jpg

Pay attention to the lava rocks as well, the slope of the beach up to the grassline. The intention is that the ocean has been creeping up on the sand up to the grassline creating a bowl-shaped slope going into the ocean.

The rocks also look very randomly placed. Maybe try to work in some bigger rock-formations in there and have it going from "bigger rock -> smaller rocks".
    travel_6.jpg

Trust me , this stuff helps ^^
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Love the colours in the new version.