Home General Discussion

How To Get Faster... Faster?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
superdenny707 polycounter lvl 14
I'm not really sure where to put this question, but this forum seemed most appropriate.

I just want to know, how I can improve modeling speed/efficiency to improve the quality of my work and my work speed.

What kinds of things do you pros do that I could benefit from doing? what workflows, practices, etc.?

Any help (especially a point in the right direction) would be great

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Practice! (duh)

I've yet to do it myself, but I'm told that recording yourself and watching it later does wonders for picking out bad habits or things you could improve on.

Customize your Left-Handed Hotkeys. What tools or functions do you use most often? Are there little things you do often that could be set to a macro, action or script?

At one point, I had minimized my Photoshop brush set down with the essentials at the top, no need for 7 size presets for a common brush when 3 would do. Common grunge and spatters at the bottom. Any other special brushes I stuffed into a second library for when I need them. This feels quicker for getting to a brush, less to sort or visually remember locations of in the list.
  • Adij
    Offline / Send Message
    Adij polycounter lvl 8
    quality > speed

speed comes with experiance. You can't just jump over this.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    learn when to stop. seriously :)
    The studios that care about time usually often go for "good enough". Most studios aren't Blizzard where it's done when it's done. Quality is like a bell curve - at some point the amount of invested time only yields small improvements. Learn when to stop. The exact time where to stop obviously is different from studio to studio or AD to AD.

Ask yourself if, for examples, skin pores need to be done in ZBrush, or if it would be faster to do them as normal map. Think about the quality difference in the final asset and if it is acceptable for the standard you're trying to achieve. Can you mirror and re-use mesh parts / textures? Do you have a "parts" library where you can grab buttons, buckles, base-meshes for shoes, swords, etc?
    This is of course also transferable to other modeling tasks.

Plan your work ahead. Have a clear picture in mind which parts of a character/environment have to be done first, to what parts you move on to next. Spend most time on obvious features - don't get lost in details and waste time on features people will not notice(*). Try to avoid backtracking and re-visiting parts that have been completed. A back-and-forth between different work steps and asset parts can cost time. Cut details if you run our of time, but never skip on polish!

(*) not talking about details, i.e. features of the character here, like buttons or zippers. I'm talking about wasting time fixing 1 pixel seam that's on an area of the model which the average player will never even see or notice unless someone tells them about it.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    and shortcuts! although how many you have will be directly proportional to the degree of carpal tunnel syndrome you will develop :P
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    theory:
    http://poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/analytical_thinking.htm
    some practice:
    http://artisaverb.info/Selection.html

just apply this logic everywhere all the time and you'll get times faster.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    believe it or not (and this also feeds into Kwramm's bell curve idea) you can often make significant progress in the area you want to improve in, by practicing something else.

when i was learning to play the guitar, i focused almost entirely on heavy metal and lead guitar techniques. i found i'd reached a plateau... no matter how often or how long i practiced i just wasn't getting any better. so i started learning to play classical guitar, and within a couple of weeks my lead playing was moving on in leaps and bounds again.

this could also be applied to any other form of learning, i'm sure. learn something related, but different... it's still using the same core skills, but in a new way.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    As Konstruct said, hotkeys. And in Maya's case, marking menu gestures. Hotkey the things you do 100 times a day (extrude, local move etc.) It'll take a bit of getting used to, but after a short while it just becomes muscle memory, like playing an instrument (or a video game :D) Don't keep painstakingly clicking through multiple menus.

Scripts that reduce a 50-click operation to a single button press.

Learn selection tricks. From simple stuff like "grow selection" to more advanced "select every nth edge". Use paint selection instead of clicking each element. Use negative selections as well as positive. Learn (or make) hotkeys that convert selections, eg. convert vertex selection to contained faces.

Years of practice ;P
  • gsokol
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol polycounter lvl 14
    Kwramm pretty much nailed it on the head.

The biggest trick to getting things done fast is to know where to focus your effort and add detail, and where not to. When your on a deadline, you learn that you just have to let those things go and focus on the details that are most prevalent and important.

Also, specifically when dealing with environments...block your stuff out right away...figure out your scale, sizing, modular piece fitment...as early as you can. Spend time to make the blockout right...because its a lot easier to fix then than to deal with later with near finished assets.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    disable EVERYTHING that isn't your working programs

turn off all windows and programs sounds

no wallpaper, and deactivate all those fancy windows features so it looks like windows 3.1 again so you can focus all processing to main working programs.

practice practice practice

learn all the hotkeys

Keep a stopwatch at your desk, and learn to use it!

Every hour on the hour, maybe do some push-ups or something that makes you GET-UP and REALIZE and hour of time just passed. Just after a few of these you realize when you had a lazy hour and step up for the next hour.

fast, rocking music

caffiene

EAT WELL! Biologically, when hungry, the body thinks it's dying and starts refocusing resources away from creative productivity. Grab a snack to activate your brain.
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    cocaine-addict1.jpg

After that go practice art in your new cocaine/speed driven state.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    To build of Cholden

Take a 15 break every 2 hours (or when you are "stuck") to exercise and snack.
  • superdenny707
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I wasn't expecting this much response so fast, thanks everyone for all the great advice, a lot of stuff I haven't put much thought into before.

Adij: I try to never sacrifice quality for speed, but when it comes to getting stuff done for a class project, its hurting me that I can't have both when I really need to.

Kwramm and gsokol: Hadn't thought of progress like a bell curve before, I'd only thought of it linearly--I'd thought that the more work I put in the better it would be, even with minor details. Also, hadn't thought of putting together an asset library. I have one for textures, but I see an asset one would be really useful as well.

d1ver: great stuff, I'm definitely gonna start applying those concepts today (for both work and life)

almighty_gir: So if I apply that to Game Art, does that mean work on a character every now and then if I usually do environments and props?

cholden: I actually started doing that just last night, doing pushups after working for a long time. (more as a get back in shape thing than a refocus thing tho). And typically when I work, the only other program I have open is iTunes, playing either game soundtracks or something Hans Zimmer related. ....Not really sure what you mean by the stopwatch however...

seforin: I just laughed so hard I think I scared my neighbors.

I know that practice makes (almost) perfect, but my issue has been that my the stuff I try to practice on tends to take a lot longer than I'd like, and I realize now (thanks to you guys) a lot of it has to do with repeating mistakes, not planning out well enough, and/or inefficient workflows.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i wouldn't say do a character, but find something within environment art to learn. like lighting maybe? i've heard some studios have entire teams dedicated purely to lighting environments.

so imagine you've modeled, sculpted, baked, and textured everything, hand it over to the lighting guys, who then tell you "the spec is too high", or "the diffuse just doesn't read well in the light"... all the changes you then have to make, right?

but if you have some lighting knowledge, you can anticipate that and incorperate it into your workflow for building those assets... which then saves you time in future, and builds your working knowledge of materials and their reaction to lights.

anyway, i'm semi-rambling. all i know is that it works for a lot of things i've learned, so i can only assume it would work on this too?
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I run ManicTime on my system..it's a great way to see just how much time is spent in program vs. surfing the web reading forums........:)
  • superdenny707
    Offline / Send Message
    i wouldn't say do a character, but find something within environment art to learn. like lighting maybe? i've heard some studios have entire teams dedicated purely to lighting environments.

so imagine you've modeled, sculpted, baked, and textured everything, hand it over to the lighting guys, who then tell you "the spec is too high", or "the diffuse just doesn't read well in the light"... all the changes you then have to make, right?

but if you have some lighting knowledge, you can anticipate that and incorperate it into your workflow for building those assets... which then saves you time in future, and builds your working knowledge of materials and their reaction to lights.

anyway, i'm semi-rambling. all i know is that it works for a lot of things i've learned, so i can only assume it would work on this too?

Makes sense, I'll definitely have to give it a try. Thanks again
  • superdenny707
    Offline / Send Message
    katana wrote: »
    I run ManicTime on my system..it's a great way to see just how much time is spent in program vs. surfing the web reading forums........:)

... is it free?
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I usually hire a really ugly, big, raunchy dude wearing a spiked 'sock on his willy', if I don't give in my effort, based upon Timing software, 90% effort/man hours, the guy ends up chasing me around the house and he tries to ravage my bum hole.

Not only did I get in shape, but now I work at 125%.
  • Doubles
    Today I was chatting to one of my private students, he mentioned that an artist he likes completed sketches in very short time frames.

Now, I know I mentioned this recently, but it always surprises me that a lot of new commercial artists have a misconception of speed and where it sits in the picture, so it bears repeating.

Here's the low down:

Speed is a product of repeated practice.

Quality is a product of perfect practice.

Quality is not a product of speed - if you're terrible at something, doing it fast just means you'll get your terrible results sooner.

While you are learning your craft, learn it thoroughly, take the long road and understand things if you need to. It took me 3 months of banging my head on a wall to learn how to design in perspective.

You don't need to pursue speed as an outright goal - by all means keep it at the back of your mind, but it is ludicrous to get stressed out if someone with 15 years experience over you gets art done in a 10th of the time it takes you to do something comparable.

Again, speed in your work is a by product of experience and practice. Focus on quality.
    Darren Yeow wrote this on facebook
  • katana
  • alexk
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Actually working in a studio and in a production cycle will make you go faster. All the tricks, efficiency and time management, I learned in my 1st year working. And looking back, I really don't know any other way I would of learned it. Having deadlines, crunch and being around other working artists really ups your skill level.

So my only advice to you, assuming you've never been employed yet, is to just focus on quality. Make the best quality environment/character/prop/whatever that you can. As some have mentioned, there is often a trade-off between speed and level of quality
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    The real answer is that it happens with experience, but focusing on the things listed below will make sure your experience (time) isn't being wasted thinking that just doing the same shit over and over again will magically make you an artistic genius.

Three keys to getting faster, faster - from my own experience:

Optimization (workflow)
    Variation (differing content/style/reference)
    Experimentation (new ways with new techniques, often times this happens as a result of variation)

Optimization is your workflow, shortcut keys, hotkey scripts, and having done things enough times to know the most efficient way of going about them (what will work and what won't).

Variation is trying new things. Characters, animals, environments, props. Drawing, painting, sculpting, reading - taking in knowledge from having done anything possibly related to your craft, trying to become "well versed".

Experimentation is fucking around. There are always multiple ways to achieve an outcome, some work well only in certain situations, there'll be some balance of pros and cons depending. As mentioned I'd say this sort of ties into variation, maybe trying to do the same essential idea in a few different styles or with different restrictions.

I'm not a 3D artist, but it's really all the same I think. Where I might experiment with doing the same image starting from black and white, color, or only with one brush - you might do it with a different poly budget or texture restrictions. Or you might even do some painting, and I might try to learn some 3D stuff. I find that I've improved dramatically just looking at the stuff on polycount - even though most of it isn't my particular "craft", it's all related.

That's just what I've felt really makes a difference in my own work, anyway. It just seems like at the end of the day, the people who whip out awesome stuff really quickly can say "Well I did that before", or "I fucked something similar up one time a few years ago and had to fix it...". Seek out failures and run away with every ounce of knowledge you can!
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Wawe wrote: »

> Quality is not a product of speed - if you're terrible at something, doing it fast just means you'll get your terrible results sooner.

Darren Yeow wrote this on facebook

although sometimes speed is a quality all by itself ;)
    alexk wrote: »
    Actually working in a studio and in a production cycle will make you go faster.

ayyup! it's incredible how much you'll pick up, especially in the first months
  • superdenny707
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk wrote: »
    Actually working in a studio and in a production cycle will make you go faster. All the tricks, efficiency and time management, I learned in my 1st year working. And looking back, I really don't know any other way I would of learned it. Having deadlines, crunch and being around other working artists really ups your skill level.

So my only advice to you, assuming you've never been employed yet, is to just focus on quality. Make the best quality environment/character/prop/whatever that you can. As some have mentioned, there is often a trade-off between speed and level of quality

Two Listen wrote: »
    The real answer is that it happens with experience, but focusing on the things listed below will make sure your experience (time) isn't being wasted thinking that just doing the same shit over and over again will magically make you an artistic genius.

Three keys to getting faster, faster - from my own experience:

Optimization (workflow)
    Variation (differing content/style/reference)
    Experimentation (new ways with new techniques, often times this happens as a result of variation)

Optimization is your workflow, shortcut keys, hotkey scripts, and having done things enough times to know the most efficient way of going about them (what will work and what won't).

Variation is trying new things. Characters, animals, environments, props. Drawing, painting, sculpting, reading - taking in knowledge from having done anything possibly related to your craft, trying to become "well versed".

Experimentation is fucking around. There are always multiple ways to achieve an outcome, some work well only in certain situations, there'll be some balance of pros and cons depending. As mentioned I'd say this sort of ties into variation, maybe trying to do the same essential idea in a few different styles or with different restrictions.

I'm not a 3D artist, but it's really all the same I think. Where I might experiment with doing the same image starting from black and white, color, or only with one brush - you might do it with a different poly budget or texture restrictions. Or you might even do some painting, and I might try to learn some 3D stuff. I find that I've improved dramatically just looking at the stuff on polycount - even though most of it isn't my particular "craft", it's all related.

That's just what I've felt really makes a difference in my own work, anyway. It just seems like at the end of the day, the people who whip out awesome stuff really quickly can say "Well I did that before", or "I fucked something similar up one time a few years ago and had to fix it...". Seek out failures and run away with every ounce of knowledge you can!

Thanks! Again, great advice and greatly appreciated. After taking in everyone's comments, I think the best things for me to do from here are as follows:

1) Plan out work more thoroughly, and anticipate things that may be new or difficult
    2) Make better use of optimization techniques/hotkeys/etc.
    3) Try new things and gather knowledge through more than one method
    4) Be mindful of time, but take breaks from work to eat/do pushups/ refocus every so often
    5) Learn when to stop.
    6) Go for quality practice now, and speed will come in time.

Thanks again everyone!
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I usually hire a really ugly, big, raunchy dude wearing a spiked 'sock on his willy', if I don't give in my effort, based upon Timing software, 90% effort/man hours, the guy ends up chasing me around the house and he tries to ravage my bum hole.

"...and then I wake up" :poly142:
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14