Home Technical Talk

UV Snapping Problems

Hi Polycount, I'm super new to 3ds Max, and I've been having a lot of trouble with using the UV editor. All I need to do is texture several tubular shapes, but have all of these tubes share a common pixel density on their UVs so that I can tile them seamlessly once I use the meshes in UDK. This information isn't completely relevant, but I think it does explain why I need to use the UV editor in this peculiar way.

So, I've been having a lot of trouble trying to get the snapping to work in the UV Editor. In almost any setting configuration I try, the snapping simply does not work at all, unless I select by vertex and use snap-to-grid (not pixel snap). It is as though selecting by edge or face causes the UV editor to completely ignore that fact that I have snap-to-grid (or pixel snap) enabled.

My task isn't completely impossible, since I am able to at least snap individual vertices, but if I ever happen to need to move an entire UV cluster, then I am forced to redo every vertex in that cluster over again. I really want to be able to select faces and have them snap to the grid.

Is this a common problem people have experienced in the UV editor? What should I do to fix this? I've done several Google searches on the problem, but it looks like most users are either completely unable to snap at all, or are able to snap perfectly no matter which selection mode they are in.

There is also one additional problem I have with snapping: I have been using 1/64 (0.015625), 1/128 (0.0078125), and 1/512 (0.00390625) as my grid spacing in the editor, which all work, but if I try to use 1/1024 (0.0009765625) the editor rounds off the number to 0.002, and I don't get a grid anymore. This isn't a huge problem, but is this a limitation of 3ds Max, or is there a setting somewhere that controls the limit for grid spacing precision?

Sorry if this question has been answered already, or if its really obvious; I have been trying to fix these over the past month and honestly have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Replies

• Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I've never used snapping in the uv editor. I mean you can just zoom in a little and place the vertex or edge on the pixel where you want it. It shouldn't really matter if the uv's are slightly off in the sub pixel dimensions. you'll still have the correct pixels next to each other on a tiling prop.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Another thing to consider is aligning UV verts. The new 3dsMax releases have something like that I believe. In older versions you can do that with TexTools.

In the top baar above the UV window (in TexTools)
    transform_floater.gif Using ico_transform_align.gif

like this
    texTools_ani_transform_align.gif

Also the align edge Tool ico_align_shell_to_edge_axis.gif helps aligning clusters like this
    texTools_ani_align.gif

And lastly rectify ico_rectify.gif will try to align edges of a selection to the U and V axis
    texTools_ani_rectify.gif
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    The snap only works in vertex mode. But you can select all the vertices of a cluster (or activate the select element) and move an entire cluster an snap with one of its vertices.
    You have to select the move tool and not the freeform.
    I've never used the grid precisely, most of the time i enter the coordinates manually/use the align tools, but maybe your issue is due to the general decimal precision that you can set under
    customize>preferences>general>spinners>precision.

You might want to take a look at the uvw xform modifier that let you to make simple actions (offset, rotations, tiling) without opening the uv editor.
    Hope that helps.
  • Nightingale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I've actually already downloaded TexTools, but that was to try and get the UV snapping to work. I'll have another look at its functions and try to see how to use them.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I've been having a lot of trouble trying to get the snapping to work in the UV Editor. In almost any setting configuration I try, the snapping simply does not work at all, unless I select by vertex and use snap-to-grid (not pixel snap).
    Yep this drives a lot of people mad and I really wish they would change it. Max isn't broken its behaving as designed, that design is a bit flawed if you ask me but that goes for just about the entire UV editor... ha!

Ok, the reason this is happening is that the UV editor isn't displaying a pixel map so there aren't any pixels to display. The default UV checker pattern is a "procedural map" that doesn't have pixels. You need to assign a pixel based image then select it from the drop down in the upper right and THEN pixel snap will work.

This is just another reason why using a custom checker pattern works better than relying on the max defaults. Preferably something with some text and pixel density info so you know how big pixels are and if any UV shells are wrong reading and in need of being flipped.

Something kind of like...
    checker_512.gif
    This one is 512x512 if you get in close you can see each pixel is a different color, this helps you make sure that your pixels when applied to the model (textel) will all be roughly the same size.