Home Technical Talk

Environment modelling.

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to improve my modelling skills at props/environment. But I always get stuck while modelling objects such as houses and building.
Attached is what I'm currently working on, a pretty simple desert-style house, such as you can see in Middle East countries.
The thing is, it's looking lame...

So I would like to get references, wireframes would be good, to help me improve my workflow.

Does anyone have a tip on environment modelling specific workflow ? I've read everything in the wiki section, but I think I need more specific help.

thanks for your advice(s)

Replies

• Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mesh seems OK to me. You just need to give it a good texture.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    this is is where the whole artist thing comes into play. Perhaps you should try some better subject matter?
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    well, i would benefit from zbrush, thats for sure
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Not bad, but watch out for those ngons when creating edge detail. A good workflow for next gen game assets involves taking a mesh into zbrush or mudbox, doing some rough detail, export and UV low rez, go back and add fine details in which to generate normal map from. Also, at least in my case, I try to find ways to make sure the area in which a building or wall meets the ground is never 90 degrees..but flares out just a bit to create the illusion of a smoother transition.
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    well, i would benefit from zbrush, thats for sure

Or 3DCoat. I have both, and from what little texturing I've done I found it more worth while to sculpt in zBrush and texture in 3DCoat, though that's getting a bit off topic...
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    RJBonner wrote: »
    this is is where the whole artist thing comes into play. Perhaps you should try some better subject matter?

Anyone can learn to model (to a certain extent), but texturing is a whole other story, and it's a process that will define you as a 3D 'Artist.'

So, try to imagine what would look really sweet and give it a shot :]
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't need to have complete edge loops when doing low-poly modeling. You have a bunch of loops in this model that are the right approach for subdivision surface modeling, but not for low-poly modeling.

It really helps to take a close look at assets in current-gen games, to start to understand the modeling tricks they use. Get a game editor like UDK or CryEngine, load their assets, and examine their wireframes and texture sheets.

Generally, edges are discarded if they do not add to the silhouette of the model. Most of those edges on the top of your flat roof are not adding to the silhouette, so they should be removed. Don't be afraid of triangles.
  • Umar6419
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umar6419 polycounter lvl 7
    Stick to ur reference Images !!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It really helps to take a close look at assets in current-gen games, to start to understand the modeling tricks they use. Get a game editor like UDK or CryEngine, load their assets, and examine their wireframes and texture sheets.

QFT

I also want to save you from the first mistake everyone who's new to environment art makes - it's not a character so don't unwrap it all uniquely and pack it into the 0-1 range of the uv editor.

Focus on how to texture it with multiple tiling textures, look at how the UDK levels are made. Usually large walls have tiling textures while windows, doors and other elements are unwrapped uniquely.
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I honestly don't understand why you think it is lame. You have not even textured it yet.