Home General Discussion

Questions for environment artists

So im wondering if i should invest my time and heart into becoming environment artist and i'd love to ask a few questions about that line of work to a professionals.

If somebody wish to enlighten me about hard work days of environment artist, i will greatly appreciate it. We can talk with pm or skype, whatever convenient to you.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    Its probably worth posting your questions here, that way you'll get a variety of answers and other people wondering about similar questions will be able to find this information
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Yes ask your questions here, we have lots of pro environment artists here working with all sorts of games. :)
  • 3DKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    in large open worlds with lots of different types of exploration? lot's of math and vert pushing :P

in your standard, cover/shooter? lot's of modeling and sculpting :p

really spends on how the company has segmented up the responsibility.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Making things modular will become like an addiction, looking everywhere for that next fix @~@;
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    So, i changed my account, because previous one had a misspelled nickname. Now im ready to ask questions, i think :)

My first question is: Why did you become an environment artist instead of anything else the game industry can offer?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done a few other roles, but enviro makes me happiest. I love arranging a beautiful play space, especially lighting.

Some other threads about this.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryDiscipline
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    So, i changed my account, because previous one had a misspelled nickname. Now im ready to ask questions, i think :)

My first question is: Why did you become an environment artist instead of anything else the game industry can offer?

- I like to do modeling + texturing + lighting and other stuffs. Doing environment art can make theses things together. I don't really like to get stuck at just 1 task (ex : rigging).

- I always prefer to take pictures of landscape more than taking human pictures. Maybe it's just a natural feeling. I like to play with light and mood. Personal preference... :)

- Environment artists has also more offers on the market than character artists. Lot of people wants to be character artist, but very few can actually do it.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Love making worlds out of thin digital air.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I love the creative aspects of the career, but hate the technical. Modeling and texturing are great. Scene assembly and lighting are amazingly fun.

UV mapping? Optimizations? Debugging scenes in GPAD and PIX? Hate it. But, it's a part of the job. At it's best, it's the greatest job in the world. At it's worst, it's still the greatest job in the world, just a little harder. :)

You can sometimes deal with a lot of shit and have to work long hours (if scheduling is poor or a demo pops up) but for the most part, it's an extremely rewarding career. You won't get rich, but so long as you love the work and not Ferarri's, you'll enjoy it :)
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Pluses:

-You get to work on a variety of tasks, and a variety of environments.

-You get a lot of freedom to create the best environment you can imagine, rather than being tightly locked to a concept like a char artist would (depending on company of course).

-There are a lot more jobs available.

-Since so much stuff affects environments and is based on them, you have a lot of impact and collaboration with a lot of different departments, and it often feels like you have a direct impact on the final game.

- You tend to take large portions of the game all the way to completion and see it evolve, instead of just handing off an asset and never seeing it again.

Minus:

- The downside of the environments having so much impact on the overall game means that sometime shit rolls downhill, and since you have so much control over the game, you usually end up having to fix it, even if the problem was caused by another dept.

- At the end of development, you'll feel really envious watching character guys sculpt all day while you are fixing baked lighting seams and stretched uvs across 15 dungeons.

- Env guys often take pride in the fact that they have to make really efficient art, but sometimes it doesn't feel like you get to be really artistic with so many shortcuts, i.e. kitbashing and tiling textures vs unique sculpts.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is great to see such a responses to my question. Another question then:

What qualities must environment artist have to really be good at doing his work?
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    That is great to see such a responses to my question. Another question then:

What qualities must environment artist have to really be good at doing his work?

- Be able to work as part of a team
    - Be Patient
    - Have a passion for all things games
    - Be able to work fast while maintaining a high standard of work
    - Be able to understand the technical side of games development
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for answers. Next question: what is your workflow with starting of modeling the scene? blocking out etc.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    It really depends sometimes, if I need to be using already-existing assets, I'll toss those in and try to make the most of them before making something custom to plug the gaps left behind. If its a bigger room, I prefer to make huge chunky shapes, rather than a large blob of mesh, and try to work out the best composition from there.

things to think about:

-work on the shots that are most important,
    ex: The view from when the player enters the room.
    The view when accomplishing the point of the room (boss fight, puzzle)
    From key points, is the whole room clear? Can you see a definite entrance/exit?
    Make sure the lighting will be planned to help show the player where to go. Lighting is not a secondary thing to add afterwards.

-Spend time wisely, don't blow a ton of time on the ceiling when the camera naturally stares at the floor, (like in an mmo) and similarly, don't throw tons of time, textures, and polygons at places a player can't even get close to. (like a bloody ceiling.)

-Learn to concept! Even if it's crappy, learning to put an idea down on paper could be one of the biggest hurdles to getting things done. I don't get concept art all the time (or even half the time) so a lot of the props and rooms I end up making are of my own design. And when an art director is breathing down your neck, being able to show your ideas and what you are working towards can help prevent a ton of wasted time/confusion.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Because i used to play with legos and clay... and i used to make buildings out of cardboard boxes.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Well I'm still a student, but for me the thing I love most about environments is building worlds. I had Warhammer as a hobby for 6 years (suddenly, work and school made me stop). My favorite part probably was making buildings and chunks of land out of foam and arranging them. Environments allow the same sort of freedom. I love the process of making modular pieces> texturing pieces> playing lego with them :D
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the answers, ya all :) Well, another question then:
    What soft do you use for modeling? Maya, 3ds Max or something else? What is the best of them?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    At the start I really dug environment art but the more I delved into the technical side of things, helping others, making scripts, shaders etc well I cant go back XD
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    No such thing as which is better of the two. Theyre two different styles. Maya is more oriented toward film and Max is more oriented towards games.

Character art is more difficult than environment art because humans know humans really well. If you mess up on a character its really obvious. With environments this is less the case but there is more to keep track of in that regard.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Just try out both and see which you like more, both have there pluses and negatives. I personally prefer Maya because I find it easier to zip around the view ports and snapping verts which is something Im not sure you can do in Max(I could be way off)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    used to use max, now i use maya at work.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 13
    I used to use XSI, then I switched to Maya, now I am in 3DS Max. In Canada (not sure about other places) it seems to be the east coast uses 3DS Max, where as the west coast uses Maya. So if you know where you want to work, that could help influence which package to learn.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I use 3dsmax but going to learn maya i think its good to know both. Tho its just tools modeling is still modeling.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    package is a package, a good modeler, can adjust to use what ever the studio gives them.
    i can use maya, modo, and max just fine, learning modeling is hte imporarnt part not hte app.