Home Technical Talk

Handy things to know! that I don’t know yet. (Help Maya)

Hey, got a few questions about Maya.

1: array (or I think this is the correct name.)
for example: I made a book and now I want to put it in a array so that it randomizes the x for every new book on the shelf. (I have seen a similar option available for particles.)

2: Face normal placement
If I grab a object I want to be able to snap it to a face. so that the rotation and position are correct.
for example: a terrain where I plant some small bushes. so a 45 deg slope would mean the bush also automatically gets placed 45 deg.
solution: Modify>Snap Together Tool.. click your faces then hit enter.
while this works fine I was wondering if there’s a way like the snap to vertices mode were you just hold a key and middle mouse and move it over a face and it keeps aliening it to the face’s were it uses the pivot to snap and not a face of the object you like to snap.

3a:In the pic below I want to click on the same spot 3 times to get result nr 3
2vbvceo.jpg

3b I really want to avoid the center face pixels that you can select. so with select whole faces on if possible. (I forgot how to do the pixel select).
Solution: Window> Settings/Preferences> Preferences>
from Preferences window:
Settings> Selection> Polygon Selection>
"choose either Select Faces with: Center or Whole Face"

4: replace selected objects with a other object.
Solution: Modify>Replace Objects. replaces all selected objects with the last selected object.

5: How can I assign a material to all instances.

6: How do I convert a instance to a unique object.
Modify>Convert>Instance to Object

7: Would you please help this poor soul. thanks!!
(PS yes I did try Google :P)

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    For 1 and 2 the Maya Bonus Tools has scripts that sort of do this. For 1 you can select a bunch of objects and randomize translations on the X axis. For 2 there is a placement tool and a simple orient to face tool and probably a bunch of others you could checkout.

I;m not sure what you're asking in 3, and don't know the answer to the other questions.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    4 5 and 6 sound like scripts. I can try my hand at making them by the weekend.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    2. Modify>Snap Together Tool.. click your faces then hit enter.
    also, in your bush terrain example specifically, google up the 'Modify>Paint Scripts Tool', you can paint your bushes onto terrain.

4. Modify>Replace Objects. replaces all selected objects with the last selected object.

6. Modify>Convert>Instance to Object
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    number 3

do you mean face centers ( instead of/or selecting by whole face? )

In which case:
    Window> Settings/Preferences> Preferences>
    from Preferences window:
    Settings> Selection> Polygon Selection>
    "choose either Select Faces with: Center or Whole Face"

Be careful!
    Display> Polygons> face centers is a display reference only as far as I can tell and will not give you the same selectable functionality by area.
  • ZixXer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for helping me. I added the solutions to the main post.

Thanks haiddasalami & m4dcow. but i like to avoid scripts a mutch as posible, because in a few weeks time i'm going to work in a company that uses maya. and thay all use pretty mutch the same settings.

If some one can still help me with 1, 2, 3a and 5 that would be great!
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Yeh for 3a you can do select face centers like claydough says, or what I do is marquee select all of them and subtract select (Hold Control) the other faces.