Home Technical Talk

mental ray AO baking and floating geometry

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Artaani polycounter lvl 7
Hello!

mental ray AO baking in 3ds max much flexible and faster then scanline, but there is a problem with shadows under floating geometry.

In this thread http://wiki.polycount.com/AmbientOcclusionMap#LBM talked about manually define the max distance of rays, but this is not right solution because it affect on whole AO.

Also talked about disable rendering the back faces. But I don't know where is this options?

And one else little question, what about baking normal map in mental ray? When I try to do this — I have empty\black image in output. And diffuse in render window, as always. (in the 3ds max 2012, and in the 2010 the same probem)

p.s. Sorry for my english :)

Replies

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Depending on how you're rendering, this is how you can knock out floater shadows

- either play with the object properties (ah damn, forgot to mark "Cast shadows" in the image),
    - or set the floater object to a certain ID and exclude it from rendering in the AO material

wco4k4.jpg

I only use this for highpoly renders, and xNormal for baking maps, though.
  • Artaani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artaani polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah! I make two mr AO materials, with 1 and 2 in Incl./Excl. Object ID. And set G Buffer Object ID of main geometry at 1, and float geometry at 2, and place appropriate material. And this work. Thank you! :)

Also, maybe you know something about problem with normal maps baking? Why output have empty black image.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    that could have a million reasons :)