Home Technical Talk

Maya leaves help..

So this is a two part question. Im still learning the ways of Maya and other 3D programs as I go through school. I decide to start a side project just for practice and experience as we all do and decided to make a tree scene to learn more about lighting and texturing. My first question would be,

1. what is the best way to make a good looking tree? Would you suggest that I give this a try in Zbrush then import to Maya?

2. What would give me the best looking foliage for the area below the tree? I want to learn to do it to the point where it looks realistic given the programs I currently have (Maya, Mudbox, zbrush, photoshop, etc.) Are their any good tutorials for this?

3. Leaves, I can make leaves no problem, but Ive seen some people use an effect that adds weight to one portion of the leaves giving them a more realistic drop during animation rather then me having to manipulate each individual leaf. Can anyone explain this to me or show me a good tutorial for it?

4. This one kind of mixes with number two, what is the best way to make terrain? Say I want to make a decent size forest area, how would you guys suggest I go about doing this?

I am really looking forward to learning this stuff because Ive always wanted to be an environmental artist so any tips and pointers would help. Thanks in advance guys.:poly141:

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Tree: Zspheres in zbrush, sculpt out the tree, retopologize to get low rez mesh, UV and bake high rez details onto the low res.

You can also play around SpeedTree, which comes along with any version of UDK (free). This allows you generate trees and also export them.

For nice detail below the tree, the same idea of using high poly to low poly applies. Just use an alpha to phase out the mesh into the ground (transparency).

The most realistic way, at least that I know of, to generate terrain is to make them with height maps. These can be found freely on the net and also from terrain generators.

There are probably some more experienced artist here that can give you better advice though.
  • Doctore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot Dataday, Im still at the dumb noob level so Im still getting the hang of what most of that means lmao. You have definitely pointed me in a good direction and that helps out a lot. I have UDK on my windows laptop and everything else on my macbook pro due to how my school has arranged everything so is there an easy way to export from mac to windows for UDK usage or do you guys just say screw it and use nothing BUT windows PC's just for the sake of easier work flow?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryEnvironmentFoliage

http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryEnvironmentTerrain

Creating Foliage for UDK has a bunch of great workflow info. Applicable for bushes and trees. You can also use Paint FX in Maya to create the high-res branch and leaves for baking your maps.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doctore wrote: »
    is there an easy way to export from mac to windows for UDK usage or do you guys just say screw it and use nothing BUT windows PC's just for the sake of easier work flow?
    Most game artists use Windows because their employers use it. Apparently some programs don't run well in Windows emulation mode on a Mac. But I haven't used a Mac in years so take that with a grain of salt.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Doctore wrote: »
    Thanks a lot Dataday, Im still at the dumb noob level so Im still getting the hang of what most of that means lmao. You have definitely pointed me in a good direction and that helps out a lot. I have UDK on my windows laptop and everything else on my macbook pro due to how my school has arranged everything so is there an easy way to export from mac to windows for UDK usage or do you guys just say screw it and use nothing BUT windows PC's just for the sake of easier work flow?

No problemo =)

I would start working entirely on the PC. If your school gave you a Macbook as the means to learn and work with game art, then they screwed you over. The only schools I know that purposefully push students to use macs is solely for the purpose of film and animation.

You dont want to have to swap between computers just do 3d work on one which you could have done on the other. PCs have all the tools you will need to generate the top of the line game art, not to mention lots of customization and support.

I would also recommend you start small, dont aim for realism or perfection just yet. Baby steps will lead you better art than jumping right in and trying for the best and most realistic low poly tree you can imagine. =)