Home Technical Talk

UV layout guide on makehuman

oskarkeo
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
A guide discussing UV layout pros and cons, posted recently:

http://makehuman.org/node/420

anyone have any thoughts on whether this is about right, or complete falsehood?

Feedback appreciated,

oskar

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    oskarkeo wrote: »
    A guide discussing UV layout pros and cons, posted recently:

http://makehuman.org/node/420

anyone have any thoughts on whether this is about right, or complete falsehood?

Feedback appreciated,

oskar
    "Since we know that an automated solution is not going to get us any closer than this established layout, the question we must answer is whether we want to try and iron out the kinks, or accept our lot and paint with what we have.

This article tries to give the impression that spherical or planar mapping are the only two choices you have. I wouldn't use spherical or planar mapping either. I'd use relax on a model like this. That would fix every problem he outlines in a matter of seconds.

A lot of the other issues he talks about are correct. However most do not apply to games.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I think it's fine, but it's pretty general and doesn't really detail the process.

If you use the relax, as long as your seams are at the right place, you don't really care about the type of projection.

Anyway, a good unwrap should let you paint the texture with the less headaches possible. That's the most important rule to me.

Overlapping is ok if you want to save texture space (symmetry for instance)
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

Sprughunt:
    This article tries to give the impression that spherical or planar mapping are the only two choices you have. I wouldn't use spherical or planar mapping either. I'd use relax on a model like this. That would fix every problem he outlines in a matter of seconds.

Certainly we werent' trying to give that impression. We were trying to illustrate that the computer's unwrap wasn't nescessarily the best option for painting with.

However, it seems that that isn't made clear enough in the article, so some editing shall be needed. thanks for pointing this out.

Noors, what detailing do you suggest? It certainly wasn't intended as a step by step guide, as that becomes a software tutorial.

Re: overlapping, certainly stacked islands can be fine depending on your pipeline, but as we're not especially games centric, i'm pretty reliant on the advice of others as to the particularities.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Planar mapping is great when mixed with Maya's unfold tool and the right cuts in the right places.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Gah, i didn't get that you actually made the guide.

Polycount is very game art related so, yes everything doesnt apply the same way.

And, yeah i thought it was a blender related thing, so i was expecting some more on projections, and algorithms to help the job (relax lscm). Read that quickly the 1st time tbh.

I think it's fine then, no wrong informations.
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Noors,

Yeah, the main reason I posted it to polycount was because I'm not used to working in a games context except being away lots of uv mirroring happens, and uv stacking seems to be okay for repeating textures. I figured this was the place to go to be set straight about any glaring problems.

regarding blender tutorial, naw, there's enough software specifc stuff written, the aim of the guide was to explain to all users what to think if they want to optimize the existing layout to suit whatever their needs were, and how things mess up and why, and try to explain it so that users didn't need to know about different relaxing algorythims, and instead draw their attention to the end result they wanted rather than the sequence to get there. Every model works differently.

I'll have another look at tidying it up tomorrow now that i know it could be clearer from the get go.

Thanks very much for your help and thoughts guys, very helpful