Home Technical Talk

FPS Gun questions

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bcottage polycounter lvl 13
I am just asking because i am in the middle of modeling a Mossberg 500 rifled.

I have the following questions:

1. For a FPS what texture map size would you recommend?
2. If i wanted the Mossberg to have a scope.. would that scope be on a separate texture map? if so what size?
3. Poly/tri count?

Looking forward to your answers!

Replies

• Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    1. 2048 at minimum for a working texture, you can always downsize later on.
    2. I've done both, but if its an optional addon, it can be a seperate and smaller map. Size depends if its only the scope on it, or optic, lasers, etc.
    3. 10k tris is a good number IMO. Of course less is better, but 10k is a good start.

Always different with different engines tho.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. Depends on engine, art style, min hardware spec, what else is on screen, etc etc etc
    2. Only if the scope can be attached/removed in game, otherwise keep it all on one texture
    3. Depends on engine, art style, min hardware spec, what else is on screen, etc etc etc

I've worked on games with tricounts in the 2500-15,000 range, with textures in the 512x512 to 2048x2048 range. Without more info its difficult to answer 1&3.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    All of those are pretty much "it depends" types of answers.

But with the next generation of consoles around the corner, there is very little point in reigning yourself in.

Aim for a 2048x2048 or a 2048x4096, if you want the scope to be removable, model/texture it as a separate piece. 15k-30k triangles is fine, use more if you have to do so. The important thing is demonstrating a lack of waste and a consistency and evenness in your usage, not adhering to some magic number.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks guys.

I think i will try and keep the tri count to 10k-15k and texture size to 2048x2048 with the scope on a 1024x512 or even a 512x256?

Would it be a good idea to bake out AO and normal maps at 4k then down scale to 2k or go straight for the 2k?