Home General Discussion

So I broke my dominant hand

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
North polycounter lvl 7
I was in a bike accident this weekend and I broke my mouse clicking / drawing /sculpting hand. Ill be going to work tomorrow, but im a little nervous about it... Im wondering if theres any other artists out there who have had a similar situation. I am kind of getting anxious for no reason because im sure everything will be fine. I seem to be able to use a mouse fine but I am limited to two fingers. Holding my tablet pen is a little more awkward...

So if anyone has some wisdom to share, i would greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Just make sure you follow Dr.s orders, or whatever does not heal right will have to be fixed in the future.

Everything will be fine.

Unless it has to get cut off, then you are gonna need to get a Wacom Claw attachment.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    But did it blend?

OK, bad joke, sorry, but seriously, you're not going to lose your job on a broken hand or anything. Just get it checked at a Doc. to make sure it's still mind after the bandages come off, for as Lamont said, if your hand, especially if bones are involved or cartilage, doesn't heal correctly, you're going to have to correct them later on, and trust me, very few places consider a 'wrongly healed hand' non-luxury surgery.

But seriously, don't worry about it, just take care of it, and all will be fine quicker then your case "THUNDERCATS HOEEEEEE!"
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Yup, do what the Doc says.

IIRC awhile back Adam burnt his hand really badly, so maybe he has some wisdom to share.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey look on the bright side...now when you masturbate it'll be like having an affair.
  • North
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    North polycounter lvl 7
    thanks for the comforting words everyone. IT hooked me up with an interesting mouse and things are going fine so far. if anything ill be able to develop some drawing skills with my left hand
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In high school I broke my left hand (dominate hand) and started using my right hand for writing, I didn't have it a cast long enough to get very good at drawing, although when I started getting into digital art I wished I had kept up with the switch to right handed-ness. Keyboard shortcuts and everything computer-esk is set up for right handed people, photoshop in particular, its just left hand of keyboard centric or VERY point and click which is tedious on your arm.
    Curse you photoshop and your right handedness...

I also had some crazy teachers that forced right handed mousing so I'm a weird mix when it comes to digital art. I have managed to tame photoshop at home to work with my right hand on the keyboard but with a weird mix of 3rd party apps and crazy keybinds, its a lot of hassle and I don't do that at work, I don't use photoshop enough.

On my list of things to do but never bother with is re-learning to draw with my right hand. Which will probably come after my current job dries up and blows away and I start drawing again, I figure I've been away from it so long that both hands are probably just as shitty ha!
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    I broke my dominate hand in a bike crash as well. Broke in two places, with my little and ring finger splinted and bound. We were in crunch when it happened, so not much sympathy or any time off. Couldn't use the tablet for texturing, but was able to use the mouse by lightly resting the hand on the mouse.

Just take it carefully and follow medical instructions. Working at a computer was fine, trying to cycle to work a little too early meant a a few ow moments were had.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    we can rebuild him, faster, smarter, more artistic
  • North
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    North polycounter lvl 7
    Pancakes wrote: »
    we can rebuild him, faster, smarter, more artistic

i just...dont want to spend alot of money

six_million_dollar_man_petergriffin.jpg
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Heh I've done this twice, it takes roughly a month a get good enough with your other hand, it may not be as fast or precise right away as a dominant hand's larger experience enables, but its not the hand that controls the content, skill or the techniques its the brain.

Practice and become ambidextrous, think of it as an insurance policy, you never know when that shark-gorilla hybrid is gonna pop out of nowhere and bite it clean off.