Home› Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Zocky

Zocky
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Zocky greentooth
Hello all!

First of all, i am mostly 3d artist, trying to specialize into environment.
My big problem was always concept phase, as i totaly suck at painting and stuff, so it's limiting when i move to 3d part (As in, actual modelling).

For that reason (well, and i always wanted to try it), i decided to give digital painting a try. Got myself some books on perspective, colors and such. So, even though i'm more into 3d, i'll be focusing here, atleast for some time, mostly on 2d.

I decided for now, i'll try to make 3 very different environments for practise. Also, for all three pics, i'm trying to not have specific envo in mind, but play around with colors and shapes until i get idea.
This is to try generate ideas that i may not come up with otherwise.

After that, i might do some drawing from real life photos.

First, the fantasy environment i started a week or so ago.
These are some WIP of it and the current stage at the end.

OH, and ofcourse, any critics are more then wellcomed!

Fantasy Environment, WIPs:
82dCa.jpg
VbOyW.jpg
MMbf4.jpg

Also, started on the second. Not too sure in what dirrection it will go eventually, but i'm thinking some scifi city or settlement, placed in the desert canyon- like place.

Desert City:
stmxe.jpg

Cheers!

Replies

• Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    A little progress on desert envo:
    k3a0U.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Trying to focus on the focal point of this image, that will be thos temple on far left. Just playing around with ideas for now:
    adZN0.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Worked a bit farther on this desert envo, and having quite some problems with the perspective. What do you guys think?

jrnLK.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Ok started to play around with the lighting....
    dln9S.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Small progress:

LSTgD.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Also started do do some studying.....not too great, so i'll need to work on these a bit more:
    efeYe.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    My first speed painting from reference. 35mins:
    eh27D.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Here are two speedpaintings from refence:

No color picking, and just using hard brush:

38 mins:
    f2zrV.jpg

And 32 mins:
    f3Twa.jpg
    Somehow, this last one was very chalenging, a lot of similar, yet quite contrasted colors, so it was hard to get the right colors
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Quick B/W study:
    CXfQd.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    DId a quck 2 and 3 point perspective practise, with three point having horizont tilted:
    3QfY3.jpg
    cVqNx.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    A little progress on the landscape:
    kij1o.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Aaaaand a bit more progress. Slowly starting to finish this:
    Z8LJa.jpg
  • GemmaSuen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GemmaSuen polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Zocky, your latest picture is looking really good. I see you are trying hard with painting- I think you will improve very quickly!

About the studies- I guess it depends on if you are training your drawing skills or trying to be clean/sharp with colouring, but you can make it easier on yourself with the sphere by using a circle selection tool to help guide your brush marks. Depending on the software, you can also lock layers (transparency) and just work on a simple shape without having to worry about colouring out the lines. Just thought I'd say, since it seems like you put a lot of effort into shading, but taking shortcuts will make your workflow quicker. :o
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    heh, tnx a lot for your suggestion!

Though, i'm not really sure if i understand you. So basicly what you are saying is, that i should make on seperate layer "proper" shape via selection tools (Circle, lasso, etc)...and draw on upper layer to practise how to get the shapes manually?

And yeah, while i can if i put a lot of effort, make ok models and maps, i always have problems putting down the idea on the paper first, so it is partily the reason why i want to learn 2d. Well, besisdes the fact that i quite enyoj it .:P
  • GemmaSuen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah right sorry I guess it wasn't clear.
    You make a new layer (on top of the bg colour), use circle marquee tool (if you're using photoshop it should be next to the lasso tool). Hold shift+alt, drag to create a perfect circle. Then on the layers panel, there should be an option to 'lock' that layer. That will stop you from colouring outside that circle- therefore making a sharper image. I know a lot of digital artists do it that way, but if you are trying to train your hands on a tablet, I guess whatever way you do it is good. If you don't use photoshop, I'm pretty sure all painting software have those two features. :)

oxaJI.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    oh, now i see what you mean. Tnx for your effort!

Yeah, i was actually thinking of doing just that. I have some photoshop knowledge because of textures i make using it for my 3d models. But 2d is still somewhat new to me, so i wasn't really sure if i should do it this way, or rather hand paint it. Wasn't sure what way is it really suppose to learn it.

I will try to use your method to, it's the shading i'm trying to learn as first, so i guess it should be great aswell.

Tnx!
  • GemmaSuen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's no problem! You can learn any way really. I find most people just do the way that works best for them. Some concept artists use the selection tool + lock layers a lot to quickly paint out something sharp and detailed. It will definitely help you out, especially if you need to just do some straight/precise lines and shading. :D Keep up the good work!
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Ok, i'll try to do that, tnx for all your help!

Also, I call this picture finished. And i named it "Gathering At Somberglow"
    ch3Qx.jpg

High res: http://i.imgur.com/DTbJQ.jpg
    Cheers!