Home Technical Talk

How do you stop geometry from disappearing when too close?

How do you stop this from happening when you zoom into geometry? Its becoming extremely annoying, because its basically preventing from making any intricate edits... If I want to just do standard poly modelling on a normal scale, everything is fine, but once you try to get up close and personal, this happens!

Heres a toenail:-
TOE.jpg

Now, heres the SAME toenail, zoomed in a FRACTION of a degree closer:-
TOE2.jpg

Theres got to be a way to circumvent this. SURELY!?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Mr.Mint
    Near-clipping-plane from the camera-settings....
  • SsSandu_C
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    From what I know you can do 2 things. Click Perspective and and choose Viewport Clipping and lower the arrows that will appear on the right. The other one is to scale more your object. Sometimes due to the units you are using you might be working with some really small objects. Let me know if it helped.
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    use user view instead of perspective.
  • Shuriken UK
    Thanks guys I'll try these suggestions out as soon as I can. I'll let you know if it worked.

Cheers!
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    use user view instead of perspective.

Explain.
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Computron wrote: »
    Explain.

user mode has no clipping plane since it's an isometric viewport

like perna I never model in perspective view.
  • Shuriken UK
    Been a bit busy today, but I'm on it now lol. Anyway, about this "user view", maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I dont even have a "user view" mode. All I have are the standard orthographic, side, front, top etc', and perspective. Is this something thats only in Max 2012? If so, I have 2011, so its not an option for me.

When I click "viewport clipping" however, that does solve the problem. I just have to move the lower (minimum distance limit I guess) slider and its all good.

Anyway, in terms of perspective view modelling, thats what I've ALWAYS used right from the beginning lol, and I've made a LOT of models upto now! So maybe I'll have to revise my methods a bit and try something else and things will become easier. I noticed something strange last night while trying to model my first human head (probably in the worst, most cumbersome way possible), which seemed to be that ONE of the viewports was lying to me. When I looked at the head from a high-rear angle (persp view), it seemed that the whole head was tapering outward toward the top (but not as in the standard "perpective effect", it was more of a fisheye type effect, as in very curvy), but looking at it from the the 'top' and 'front' views revealed that the two sides of the head WERE infact straight, as they should've been at that stage.

Does anybody know why this happens, and how to still model with a 3D viewport, without being lied to by the perspective view? I can post images of what I mean if necessary, because I'm finding it hard to explain, but the effect is obvious when you see it. Never noticed it before though.

Finally, to Perna, can you take me through how to create a custom viewport with unique settings like FOV as you mentioned (I didn't even know realtime FOV was possible in the viewport)!

Thanks
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    perna wrote: »
    user view = orthographic :)

That would have made more sense, Had I known that earlier.
  • fade1
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    i came from orthograhpic modeling(3ds max), but i had to switch to maya and since then i just model in perspective(with the preset maya POV). It was hard to adpapt, but it made sense.
    Personally, i think perpective modeling is smarter, as it gives you a closer feedback to the proportions of the asset ingame...
  • Mark Dygert
    What little modeling I do these days is done in perspective but I keep the ortho hotkey close by because this is an issue all too often.

I personally can't stand ortho because of the lack of perspective, its just weird and disorienting. It makes it hard to get a sense of the depth as you orbit around the object.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah - what they said.

how are you supposed to tell what shape something is in an orthographic view?

If you're getting this issue a lot you're probably working at a silly scale. viewport clipping or not working at a silly scale are your options
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Hang on. Whaaaat? I cannot for the life of me model in orthographic view, unless I'm working on mechanical stuff, using blueprints for example. But for anything organic, there is no way I can wrap my head around modelling in ortho. It hurts my brain.
  • Shuriken UK
    Okay now I can definitely see why it can be good to use Orthographic mode. No perspective distortion! Kind of saves having to keep switching between Persp & the 2D views.

Having said that, I've always been a perspective man myself, and like people from the ortho side, it felt a bit weird switching over lol. At first my eyes were played with a bit and it looked like my model was inside out and upside down (like it was back in the Amiga & Atari days, with all the isometric games)! It didn't take long for my senses to adjust though, and its probably best used with simple, more hard edged geometry, like the Japanese Ritual Platform I tried it on, or anything else that isn't mainly curves and smooth and organic.

I think I'll use both from now on. It feels natural for me to work in perspective, but when I need to be PERFECTLY clear on what certain angles are (which is quite often lol), then clearly orthographic is going to be a lifesaver.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice! Its been a good read!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    My mesh keeps clean, I just use left and front a lot, but as far as a lot of changes I use Perspective, I always have my geo really nice looking, I have never needed to use orth, unless you mean left front and top as well.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I switch to perpective when i zoom out, and to ortho when i zoom in with U and P. I do it so often that i don't pay attention anymore, but yeah, one more workaround because of an annoying "feature".
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    orthographic views allow you to percieve much more minuete "jank" in edge flow, as the perspective distortion of a non-ortho camera hides smaller distances.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I mix ortho and perspective depending on what im modelling. I find things like faces will never look right without a bit of time in perspective tweaking the proportions.