Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dumpster - beginner - need direction

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
KittenMittns polycounter lvl 7
alright, so I decided to dust off my copy of 3ds max and see what I could make.

So I made a dumpster... how original I know!

JnQco.jpg

uZrT4.jpg

2qQrL.jpg

alright, so I know there are unfinished bits and sloppy-ness abound. but this is a basic idea of where I am at with asset modeling. I have no clue how high poly modeling/normal map creation works. I don't own zbrush... does that matter?

Also the unwrap is poorly done. I know I could more effectively lay out my UV's but I don't know how I can do that and still keep the details on the larger bits of the dumpster. Basically I know it can be better but I don't know how to make it better, if that makes sense.

Also I would like to show my wires but I have no clue how to do that, I guess I could just screen cap my max viewport but that seems "janky".

So that is where I am at. What say you Polycount? Any nuggets of wisdom would be helpful and tutorials are nice.

Replies

• JonathanLambert
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Looks pretty good for a beginner! Here's some things I notice right away that could make it better:

- The grunge you're using around the bottom of the dumpster is repeating. That's fine, and repeating grunge textures are used a lot, but in this case you have the texture space to have custom grunge. On your texture you shouldn't have any repeating textures (unless you dont have much time). Hope that makes sense.

- The graffiti! It's very fresh looking, and let's be honest, how often do you see fresh graffiti? This would look more natural if it was chipped in places.

- Rain spatter could really add some realism to this if you had it splashed on near the bottom.

4. Try highlighting the edges of your texture on a really low opacity. It can bring out the shape a better.

- I like the drips coming down from the rim. I think you could make some of them more clear and maybe even a rustier colour.

- The lid is lacking. Not sure what you could add to it...get creative :P

- It would be a bit of extra work, but it would be cool if you had more garbage around it and in it with one of the lids propped a bit.

I'm not sure how you'd render wireframe in 3DS max but Im sure there are tutorials out there for that
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Definitely going to want to check out that link above for normal map stuff ^

As far as the diffuse texture itself goes, it looks good as a base right now. To add to it, you would want a nice build up of grime. Don't be afraid to get that bottom part really grimy and filled with soot. There should be, in almost a gradient like pattern, a ton of grime coming from the bottom.

Also, on a VERY low opacity, get some color separation in there. Add pure reds, blues, and greens, literally on a like 2-5% opacity and you will be shocked at how that will separate some of the shapes.

I see you have some highlights in there which look great, except they are very straight. Instead of just a straight line, you might wanna make it look scratched and chipped. All your edges in general should have that worn "chipped" feeling.

Also, get a specular map on there.
    This tutorial might be of help to you. Look at how they have that build up of grime on there, as well as a basic spec map.

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3d-studio-max/how-to-create-a-video-game-dumpster-the-complete-current-gen-workflow/

Lastly, the sock is a cool idea, but you might wana add some cloth details in there.

Also, nothing wrong with a viewport grab if you wanna show wires. Use a flat shaded, untextured version of your model with wires for a more stylized way to show wires.

Hope I helped even a little bit!

Good luck and hope to see some progress!
  • KittenMittns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the link, lots of reading to do. I doubt it will make sense, but I think Im going to have to dive in and fail miserably before I understand it.

The texture tips are helpful. I wanted to add garbage bags on the ground and more garbage on top but garbage bags seem incredibly difficult to model/texture correctly. I don't want to get too bogged down.

the lid is what really convinced me that there was some issues with my UV's. there is just a flat color on it for now and I did not properly give enough room to add detail without it looking like a blurry mess.

anyway, I have crap to do today so hopefully I can update tonight.

thanks again for your time!
  • KittenMittns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    check my sig

also if you don't have sculpting software try blender for that, it's more than enough but not nearly as powerful as zbrush
  • pedrohurtado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculptris is a free sculpting software made by Pixologic but it is not as good as zbrush. You could use it make the high res garabage bags.