Home Technical Talk

Editing UV after Mudbox in pipeline :(

Sorry for the cryptic thread title, attempting to fully write it would make it too long. I'll just explain in my post.

Low poly model UV unwrapped, then brought into Mudbox for high res sculpting, normal baking and 3D texture painting.

Model subdivided up to level 5.

Proceeded to sculpt at the highest level, and then finally texture painting. Here's the problem.

While I was painting the mouth area, I noticed that the UVs on them are messed up. I'm not going to lie and admit it as an oversight during the low poly stage, I rushed through this and didn't notice earlier that the UVs were messed up.

So... how do I get around this problem? The model is pretty much almost at the end of the pipeline.

I can go back to the low poly and fix to the UVs but what about my highres sculpting? Is there some way for me to save or export just the "sculpting data", then in a new Mudbox project, import the low poly mesh with the fixed UVs, subdivide to level 5 again and somehow "reimport" or restore the previous high res sculpting that I had "saved" earlier?

Sorry if there's a lot of wrong terminlogy in this post or if it doesn't make sense... haven't slept for 24 hours, head's starting to spin a lot... I need to finish this project...

Replies

• Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Don't see the problem, when you do your various map bakes, your hires doesn't need to have UVs, or the same base topology as your lowpoly, you're projecting the information from high to low in world space so it should all be good either way.
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could try fix up uvs on the low poly
    save it out as an obj from maya or max(?)
    then in mudbox you go down to the lowest subD level
    File > Import UVs
    Select your fixed uv'd lowpoly obj that you exported
    then the model in mudbox should take on the new uvs and you can jump back up through the subD levels
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what pinkbox said. there are other ways to do the same thing but Import uv is the quickest.
  • Nash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pinkbox, thank you so much! That worked wonderfully.

Now for another question. I doubt this is possible but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I tweaked some of the vertices' positions in the low poly mesh... mainly fixing the mouth (again) to change the silhouette a little.

Is it possible for me to bring this changed mesh over in Mudbox, and just continue where I left off; or am I doomed to just use whatever I had - lest I am forced to sculpt everything from scratch... ?
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    something you might want to do is read the manual. its very short and has pictures. it explains how to do all these things.

you now know where the "Import UV" button is in the file menu right? if you look at the button right above that there is the "Import As Layer" button. if you take your mesh down to level 0 you can import your changes to to base mesh as a layer. your higher level sculpting will remain intact.