Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Female anatomy basemesh (First post!)

Hi all, this is my first post on polycount after lurking for a good while. I plan on posting a lot of my work here in the future and getting whatever help I can to get me on the way to my career. Recently graduated, looking to build my portfolio and find a job.

Anyway, here's a female sculpt I'm doing to act as a general basemesh. Please let me know what you think and what needs work. I appreciate any and all comments. Thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/hnALN

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty good!

The skin treatment seems rather lumpy for a base mesh... usually a base is devoid of small details, so it's easier to adapt to a new character.

The head seems to lack the attention to detail you put into the rest of the body.

Proportions are rather realistic, as in looking more like a particular individual, rather than an idealized norm. This shows you have a good eye, but generally employers want to see that you can do idealized beauty as well.
  • plknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Eric! You're right about the lumpiness, to be honest I started her as an anatomy study but I soon wanted to segue into a character to add to my portfolio. I might smooth out details or use a lower subdivision for a basemesh. Also, as an anatomy study, I spent more time on the body than the head, so you're absolutely right in pointing that out.

Pardon me for snooping, but I see you work for Tencent Boston. I spoke with a representative at PAX-East this year and while she was there to collect surveys, she indicated that they might be hiring soon. Is that true? Feel free to PM me if you like.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll probably post updates here.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a problem. Yeah, I would just keep checking the jobs page. In fact, I have it setup myself as a watch page, using http://changedetection.com. Any time the page gets updated, I get an email about it. Looks like no art openings at this point, but things change, you never know. It is game development after all, which is fairly unpredictable. :)

Would love to see your updates.
  • plknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to keep checking in. Here's a small update after blocking in some armor and tacking on a bionic arm I whipped together which will serve to hold up the weapon I have planned.

Updated Gallery