Home Technical Talk

Zbrush something wrong with my brush ?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi I usually coul duse finely the selwy brushes I have downloaded from a site to make folds etc , but now then I press alt to give a - value to the carving in the mesh , I get a black line instead as shows the picture , the + normal is ok but the - gives that , I may have perhaps pushed some button I dunno of ... any idea what could be ?

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7230/37269028.jpg

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    That's just polypaint. You probably have the alternate button enabled (Color: Alternate), which means if you hold alt it will also use the secondary polypaint color (in this case, black).

Turn off RGB, or switch off alternate, or set both colors to white.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks I solved shutting down and restarting lol ....

Anyway ...

Here is how is coming along , thanks for the belt tips too ...

now I am wondering why the Noise on arms looks different from the noise on body? I have used the very same settings -0.00192 scale and -0.5 strenght but the arms ones look somehow brighter?

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/6365/wiptj.jpg
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Make sure there's no polypaint on either subtool.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    there isn't ...
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Inactive Subtool Dimming. Turning on polypaint will show the subtool at it's full brightness, as would rendering with BPR. Or you could go into your preferences and adjust the dimming value (under Pref: Edit).

It goes without saying to also make sure they're using the same matcap, and that the noise setting didn't have the color blending as well.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I can't get what's the different brightness , here is a piture with the two noise applied in edit mod to check ...

now this is just a minor thing I guess couse I am not going to render it , anyway , as side note where can I read a good tutorial on how to texture this model?

:)

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8666/19457701.jpg
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    A shot of your subtool subpallete would be more helpful.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    here it is

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7691/87644322.jpg

tough now as you can see some other weird thing happened , I spent quite alot of time to manually mask all the parts to extrude and what not with the noise , then I created the polygroups out of mask and come out pretty good m then did the noise and the other stuff , then I moved to work on other subtools but when I reselected the arms I find that the polygroups are as you can see completely messed up , is there a way I can fix this and for what reason could have happened?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Just reset the polypaint-material info (fill it with flatcolor) and clear any masks on the subtools.

As for the polygroup, only create them on the lowest subdivision level. Otherwise if you open the tool again or step down in subdivision levels, then they're going to get re-evaluated from the ground up (which will create conflicts as a vertex can only belong to one group).
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    ah I created it at the highest level couse I could select better with the masking , but I didn't add new subdivisions after it is there still a way to reset it back?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Nope. Just redo your polygroup
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok Here I have a quite different result befoure appling the noise looks better thanafter application , why ? And how can I do to obtain a more clean result ? I have used -192 scale and -0.31 strenght....

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5811/59199613q.jpg

I already have split the mesh into 2 to increase the subdivision from 7 to 8 but with minimal improvement results .. any other way ?

also the look on the sides looks pretty much squashed and strange ...
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    When the noise is not applied, it's not really displacing the actual geometry and it isn't dependent on the vertex density of the model (slap some noise on a basic cube and it will still look nice and crisp).

It might be better to turn off the strength of the noise and use the color blending only to create a polypaint mask, then gradually run an inflate deform with an intensity of 1.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    ok I will try that but also applying all that shricks my memory ... :( I have 6 gbs .. I do really need 12 to work fine in details on zbrush?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    how can I use the color blending it seems it makes no effect after changing its values in the slider :/ ...
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Set the second color to black, change the blending value.

ZBrush isn't currently 64bit, so I don't think more RAM would help.
  • pixeldamage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixeldamage polycounter lvl 14
    Are you sure you haven't filled your object with a material ('M' button or 'MRGB' buttons selected)? Cryrid suggested doing a fill with flat color (to remove the 'm' data which could be baked in but if you fill without either of those buttons toggled it probably wont remove the baked mat (if there is any).

As Cryrid also said, the brighteness could also be subtool dimming (when you have one selected the others dim). I think you may have checked this though. Usually difference in brightness is due to this or the material or polypaint data or a mask.

How are you creating your high frequency detail? You may be better off creating it using a normal map afterwards and laying out your UVs in a way that works with detail normal map. Sometimes meshes get problems in zbrush that mess with the normal direction and converting to polymesh again can rectify it. There's also an option called Unify in the deformation palette. Not sure if this is applicable to you - maybe tell us more about how you're creating the chainlinks.