Home Technical Talk

General Modelling Confusion - Dirty looking Modeling

The title must be confusing, because I dono how I should word a title for having a problem with the modeling of my mini project. its a simple knife, and its called the griffin knife. Im doing it for the lulz, and most likely would be a skin for a game of sorts. Dono yet.

ASDt

The whole body (everything but the blades) seemed to be muddy to me, I know what it looks like, and im trying to model according to the smooth serfaces but the shading and the modeling looks poor and muddy. Its meant to be low poly, but am I using too little poly's? Even if I was to add some more it still don't look right.

ASBJ

B5kU

google "Griffin Knife" if you wish to see more, pictures (however there's very little)

Since this is a high skilled form I thought perhaps some of you won't mind sparing a few seconds of your life to give me pointers on what im doing wrong, and how I can model it right. From the hilt, do the weird end piece design, to the handle. I feel like I just aint doing it right. I plan to do a HP, but i need the LP First...

Thank you for your time.

Replies

• artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Viewport shaders in 3D apps approximate the shading of your object. This looks pretty normal to me. If you were to render your object chances are pretty good it will be less notice-able. That said, lighting is based on vertices so the more you use the better the lighting will be. The trick is knowing where to use more polygons and where to use less.

The biggest thing I see so far are the verts slammed through each other where the blade connector piece meets the hilt. I'm not going to say intersecting geometry is bad in all cases, but it's important (especially in game models) to try to make it all one piece so you can bake the normal and down and get a seamless asset. I always try to make sure my number of edges matches up at any connecting point. It just makes life easier.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    i would uses splines/curves to draw out the shape of the blade first, cuz i find it much easier to get the right shape, instead edge extruding.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    *Post Wires! its impossible to give good advice without seeing them.

*What's the model for: Render, or Ingame.

*Are you planning on baking a normal map or is this going to be the final model?

Viewport shaders in 3D apps approximate the shading of your object. This looks pretty normal to me. If you were to render your object chances are pretty good it will be less notice-able. That said, lighting is based on vertices so the more you use the better the lighting will be. The trick is knowing where to use more polygons and where to use less.

Rendering this will produce a pretty much identical result. Sure put a normal map on it and it could look cool but as it is the results will be the same. Pressing render wont fix problems in the mesh.
  • Shiro Itami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    *Post Wires! its impossible to give good advice without seeing them.

*What's the model for: Render, or Ingame.

*Are you planning on baking a normal map or is this going to be the final model?

Rendering this will produce a pretty much identical result. Sure put a normal map on it and it could look cool but as it is the results will be the same. Pressing render wont fix problems in the mesh.

Its for a game, most likely, even if i never end up using it. I am gonna do a HP but i want the LP to look good and opitmized, incase anything happens. I posted the wireframe, please look at them if u wish.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    artifacts like that are because it's trying to smooth faces at radically different angles. you need to change the smoothing groups on opposing sides of major angle changes, or else add support loops around them. you might also have unwelded verts / degenerate tris

a normal map won't magically fix them, only compensate for them, and if your baker and final engine don't have the same tangent basis then it will not even do a good job of that