Home Technical Talk

Zbrush help on a post noise application

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , I was experimenting with noise and always making stuff for mod in skyrim , so this time a chainmail armor ... I applied as shows in the picture a chainmail noise I created and applied there setting strenght etc ... tough I applied on the whole mesh , but afterthinking I would like to add separation points in "leather" borders to ger a more realistic appearence and actually removing the jagging of the borders look created by the rings at the edges not really looking good ... so I am wondering how can I do this ?

Probalby you woudl say making , ok but how do I do this since I have applied it already to my mesh? :/ ... redo all by scratch or there is a better way ? Thanks a lot for any suggestions , as usual I am still new to Zbrush ...

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9194/chainmail.jpg

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Do the leather strips as a separate mesh / subtool. It would be quick and easy, and give the best result.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Usually I create extra meshes in 3dsmax and import in zbrush is there a way to make complex low poly stuff directly in zbrush ? Perhaps a small tut about it ? Thx fir ur answers...
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    For strips like that,just append a zsphere and edit it's topology. Projection should be off by default which is what you'd want. Drop the density down to 1 so that the corners don't smooth, and add some thickness to the skin before creating it. Then you just need to add some basic creasing and it should be ready for detailing. I could take a few screenshots to show what I mean.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    If you could do it would be great :D . As I am yet not expert ...
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    You could also do a mesh extract? Simply mask off the area shown in your screenshot, and under geometry palette (I think?) use the Extract button.

If you want to just do it all on the current mesh, I'd mask the areas you want to make leather, invert the mask, polish / smooth out the area and apply a new surface noise to that area, although the transition will look rather bad this way.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks a lot , very helpfull ... Tough ... Where I find a button to edit its. Topology ? :poly139:
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Btw very nice the armor ... How did you do to flap fold the belt like that ?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    NAIMA wrote: »
    Thanks a lot , very helpfull ... Tough ... Where I find a button to edit its. Topology ? :poly139:

Tool: Topology: Edit Topology
    How did you do to flap fold the belt like that ?

Similar setup. I started with a cylinder in an external program and extruded it, although you could create the basic mesh with a zsphere/edit topo again as well.
    belt_extrude.gif

From there I brought it into zbrush (pic), converted it to a zsphere / skin (pic and pic), and added thickness to it (pic).
    belt5.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Awesomw thanx :) ... One last question is about texturing ... I never did in zbrush where can I start to learn the know how ? Thx again :)
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I can't get the same results with the append zsphere , I actually can0t move the zsphere into a symetrical position and seems ot only slide front and back or up and down, then I copied ur settings on the picture but the best I coudl do is thise mess... how do I use this thing?

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4492/38503748.jpg
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    It would be hard to answer without seeing a video of what exactly you're doing and how you're drawing out the vertices. From the pic it looks more like you're trying to draw on the surface of the sphere or the legs, and not along the mesh where you want the trim to be. I don't even think the sphere needs to be in a symmetrical position as long as you have L.sym off (which you do in the pic); once it is inserted as a subtool you should just be able to start laying down verts where you need them.

As for the settings, you probably wont want to use the same skin thickness setting as me. That value will vary from tool to tool, so you'll have to play around with it to get a thickness that you like. Sometimes you have to enter an extremely small value