Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Walk Cycle Constructive crit required.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
Hey Guys not long joined this forum but I am amazed at the work on display. Since after University my main goal is to get into animation I thought I had better improve my basics before getting into more complicated animation. The rig and character are not mine. I cannot remember where I downloaded it from but will update with a link if I find it again. All criticism is welcome as it is the only way to learn do not feel you need to hold back :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi36Ql0LHDE&feature=youtu.be

Replies

• Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - the hands dont looks relaxed an natural in their pose. The thumb seems erect o.0

- the body needs to force the legs and feet down during each step, try and create the appearance of weight throughout the torso.

accentuate the general movements throughout, looks stiff overall.
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdly enough the rig doesn't come with hand controls. Thank you for the feedback though I will work on your suggestions and re-upload in the future.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The poses are lopsided so he is walking with a bit of a limp. There also isn't much up and down motion which is pretty key. I'm not sure what 3D app you are using or what kind of rig but a walk cycle is made up of 4 poses, technically 8 but 4 are just mirrored.

1. Contact,
    2. Recoil,
    3. Passing,
    4. High Point |
    5. (1 Opposite) Contact,
    6. (2 Opposite) Recoil,
    7. (3 Opposite) Passing,
    8. (4 Opposite) High Point |
    wlk01.gif

From those 4 poses you can start to inject personality into the character and work on timing and curves.

Here is a good 2D tutorial about walk cycles, there is a wealth of 2D animation knowledge that applies to 3D.
    http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/walk1.shtml

Richard Williams book "The Animators Survival Kit" also covers walk cycles in great detail. You should also read up on the 12 principles of animation. It's not the 10 commandments but most of them apply pretty well to 3D.

Good luck!
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thank you Mark that illustration brilliant, really helps. I am working in Max 2013. This is the rig set up I am using.

Edit: I also know the 12 animation principles something that I took on board from lectures, weirdly my mind works more on a practical front so I kind of shut down in lectures. I will take a look at that book see if I can find it cheapish :)

rigjz.jpg