Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Art for our Video Game in Development

Hi everyone :)

I am obviously new so forgive me for starting a thread like this and not taking time to comment on other artwork (yet). I will however as soon as I got some time.

My company is working on a Console/PC/Mac game right now called Oliver&Spike: Dimension Jumpers and I was directed here by one of your members. I thought it might be fun to show some of the progress we do with the game. Especially progress from 2D Concept art to actual in game.

At any rate, if you have any questions or requests, don't hesitate to ask. I am happy to detail technical aspects or anything else that might be of interest to you :)

But let's get started, shall we?

First some 2D Concepts of Oliver, the main character:
oliver2.jpg
oliver3.jpg

The 3D Adaption:
71635450293150491_W4DXkQdD_f.jpg

Actual in game Screenshots:
cutscene1.jpg

We also made tons of environmental concepts for the Different game locations (Dimensions):
71635450292679870_CLjd6uak.jpg

Which translated into an in game look such as this:
terra_props.jpg

Of course we also have a lot of additional characters and npcs such as the Wabas:

2D Concept:
71635450292679940_MndstbhH_f.jpg

3D Model:
71635450293206191_klasHf3Z_f.jpg

We have a lot more to show but I'll leave it at that for now :)

Replies

• odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Charming, I like it. I do think you need some really nice shaders going on though to really push this cartoon look, because atm no matter how nice I feel this art is, it looks like its been dropped in a generic engine with no changes. Nothing too much, just a small change some how?
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Wow! These look so awesome!
    Took a look at your website, absolutely love the art style. The concepts are gorgeous, and they've been executed brilliantly.
    The environments! Beautiful stuff. Varied and distinctive.

Would love to hear a quick breakdown of your process from concept to in game, reasons why you made the choices to pursue this style, issues you overcame, etc.
  • Tascha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's probably a bit hard to see on the actual screenshots?

Here is a video of the game in action (mind you, filmed from screen at GDC earlier this year) :)

http://www.gamespot.com/events/gdc-2012/video.html?sid=6365596

Paul, the art style is supposed to appeal to a wide target group. Even though the game initially is targeted at 11 to 16 year olds we surely hope the mix between adventure and platform gameplay will attract a wide range of fans. Generally, if you like a mix between Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank and Zelda, you might like O&S as well ;)

But as mentioned, the idea is to have it as approachable as possible art style wise. The characters you'll encounter are very quirky, the worlds consists of several parallel Dimensions you use to explore but also to get along in the game and we want it to be fun and playful.

We basically create 2D concepts until we are happy with them. For example, Oliver went through a quite long process:

oliver.jpg
    olive5.jpg
    oliver1.jpg
    olive4.jpg

Until we felt we had a good feeling about the look of the concept reflecting Oliver's character. It was either too "bully", too "intellectual" or too "brat". With other things such as the Wabas, they came pretty much naturally and felt "right" from the start.

I'll write a bit more about the actual process and tools we use later :)
  • Tascha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    This characters have character! I like him, in the concept.
    The 3d one of the main character looks a bit mean to me. The red hair doesn't really fit. I like the concepts a lot more! There is some friendlyness in the concepts I really like and which is totally missing in the 3d one!
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    Great style and concepts! what engine is it running on? what plattforms it the target?
  • Tascha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco wrote: »
    The 3d one of the main character looks a bit mean to me. The red hair doesn't really fit. I like the concepts a lot more! There is some friendlyness in the concepts I really like and which is totally missing in the 3d one!

Thanks, that's some great input. I'll make sure to pass it on :)
  • Tascha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great style and concepts! what engine is it running on? what plattforms it the target?

Thanks Sam :)
    We are using Unity. The platforms depend a bit on if we can find a publisher or funding and who will help is with development. The team wants to develop it foremost for Console (XBLA, PSN etc) but with PC/MAC versions as well.

We will also co-develop mobile/social mini games to explain about the world and characters (think 2D sidescroller/platformer to go with the actual world and characters).
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    This looks awesome!!
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    Tascha wrote: »
    Thanks Sam :)
    We are using Unity. The platforms depend a bit on if we can find a publisher or funding and who will help is with development. The team wants to develop it foremost for Console (XBLA, PSN etc) but with PC/MAC versions as well.

We will also co-develop mobile/social mini games to explain about the world and characters (think 2D sidescroller/platformer to go with the actual world and characters).

very cool! caint wait to see more and hope you find a publisher
  • JoeCyriac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gorgeous work. Those environments are amazing. Can't wait to see more.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    fHsVe.png

Haha, I love it!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • Walgrind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Walgrind polycounter lvl 12
    The Concept of your game is crazy and brillant !
    And i love the graphic style !
    I hope that you will go far with this project .

+1 member at your fanbase
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Fantastic stuff :)! Awesome!
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Glad to see you followed my advice and posted here :D
    If you'll find appreciation for good gameart anywhere, it's Polycount!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you really nailed the wabas (rabbids?), but Oliver isn't quite as cool as the concept yet.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I do love that baddy, yup.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    acapulco wrote: »

it might be that his eyes are bigger in the concept! =)

Good work on this, want to see more!
  • Tascha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Thanks so much for all the feedback guys. Really thrilled you like our work so far :)

Achillesian, I am a big fan of the Wabas in general. I hope we can have some plushies made :D

I am preparing some new screenshots and I particularly like how the concept art translates into the actual in game look: What do you guys think?

concept_screenshot.jpg

concept_screenshot1.jpg
  • Tascha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx wrote: »
    it might be that his eyes are bigger in the concept! =)

Good work on this, want to see more!

Yeah that is a good input. I personally like the Big Eye approach as well. He just looks a bit more "cuddly (?)" in the actual concepts maybe?
  • Tascha
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    In my opinion the 2D art is great but i don't like the conversion of oliver from 2D (cute boy, really sympathic, a bit shy) to 3D where he lost a lot of the great character abilities the concept spoke about. In the game he looks more like a tough kid i think. The same goes for the enemy, awesome concept, cute! But then he always looks to evil - liked it more in 2D. But overall it looks really cool. I don't know what i like more: the saturated style of the 2D environemtn or the colorful 3D ones....both are great.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Art style is awesome. I think Oliver could use a bit of a touch up, just in the face. It doesn't completely match the concept. The run could be sped up?

Great progress and looks very promising.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Great work so far! I think some work is needed on Oliver though, especially the eyes need to have that nice pop and wetness look to it. A little bit more shadowing on the forehead and on the actual eye-lobes, and his jaw-line looked a little bit weird in this one shot in the teaser:

Something like this maybe: (very quick since I'm at work) Sorry for the poor quality xD
    quick_paintover.jpg
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice work, i love concept and realization. The environment is just really great and inspiring ! How many people work on this project? Could you tell us on which platform you plan to release it ? =)
  • Tascha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input :)
    We agree and got some of the same feedback for Oliver. He seems to "normal" maybe? It's important that he is equally likeable for a wide range of age groups..

More quirky maybe? Something really weird? Maybe we should go with glasses again ;)

MrNinjutsu, I forgot to mention it but we will speed up the run speed and redo the animations to match the change. It was painfully obvious that the speed was not convenient and more annoying then anything else.

edit: uups missed the comments on the second page.

Chris, sorry I hope this doesn't sound like an excuse, but the cutscenes are not finalized and have nowhere near the polish they will have. The lighting and shaders in particular are not up to our vision and a bit of placeholders. I agree with you though :)

Romy, we are 8 people at the moment (One Animator, one concept artist, one 3D artist/modeller/art director, 4 programmers (including our CEO who also does game design and one marketing/pr/jack-of-all trades person)

We are also working with freelancers for music, voice-overs and text/dialog. On that note - we are looking for a freelance video/trailer pro if any of you guys know someone :)

Regarding platforms, it's foremost designed for Console but since our strength lies in mobile we will also create mobile games to go with the main game (most probably 2D sidescroll platform gameplay in order to reveal more information about characters). We plan on also having a PC/Mac version available after the initial release.

It all comes down to if we can find someone and who publishing/funding wise :)
  • Tascha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a new comparison for you guys :)
    We also have a progress blog post (on how we take 2D to 3D) for one of the first bosses you meet in game later this week for anyone interested.

nox_chyme_concept_3d.jpg
  • Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking great! Very cool art style. Keep it up! Can't wait to see more.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    dang, this is looking sexy!
  • Tascha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally can't wait to see what our main animator does with Chyme (the little goblin looking guy in the image). We are going to give him a very funny and distinctive way of walking. The design with the short legs is for a reason ;)
  • Tascha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matīss if you read this: I tried to answer your PM but your inbox seems to be full and I wasn't able to send my answer.

We are not actively looking but if you have an online portfolio or demo-reel you can link to send them to natascha at rockpocketgames dot com :)
  • Tascha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few steps of creating the 3D Model for the first boss fight in game (The Mudimo Chicken Boss which is basically a mutated Cycluc)
    Modelled in 3D Studio Max.
    Polycount: 6920 tris.
    4096x4096 diffuse, specular, normal map textures.
    Sculpted in Mudbox.

In game the boss is 3,3 meters up the the top of his hunched back.
    About 6 meters long, including tentacles.

Hope you guys enjoy :)

mudimo_chicken_progress_steps.png
  • Howl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually saw this at GDC when you guys were there, so I'm really excited to see a little dev diary here! The overall style is really cool though I do agree with everyone on doing another pass on the main character.

The chicken boss is hilarious! Thanks for the breakdown too! I'm concerned that his spec feels pretty even throughout making him look very plastic like. This might just be the render though.

Keep it coming!
  • Tascha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Howl, that's cool! So we probably have met during GDC then :)
    We'll most probably be around again with much more to show (including the big guy above and the boss fight itself).

The proper shaders for the models are going to be applied through the game engine.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I really like the character design and also +1 to the character pass. I thought it looked awesome, but when I saw the paint over and read the suggestions, I completely agree. It will bring the already awesome character work, to a whole new level, with super simple tweaks :) As for the chicken boss... Thats hilariously awesome! The one thing I am worried about is the 4096*2 texture O.O Thats nuts! I think with your textual density in your screenshots, and depending on how big he is, you could easily get away with a 2048. My team and I, on our current student project, were able to get away with one 2048 atlas for entire levels at a time, with very very crisp details, even up close. Depending on how big he is though, I can see a 4096 being needed if he is going to be like 100ft tall. Awesome work though! I LOVE the art direction, and the game play looks super sweet, really excited to get my hands on this when it is released (if I have a system I can play it on XD)

The ability to change the ENTIRE environment and game play mechanics is F*CKING SWEET. That is a total game changer (<-- see what I did there?). It is super unique and definitely a remembering game aspect. I would definitely look back and think "Remember that one game where you can play literally switch the entire environment and you complete puzzles and shit with the mechanic?" I did just that the other day when I went to show a friend the awesome prototype videos. Good stuff, and die-ing to see the game come together!
  • Answers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am very impressed, I'm totally in love of this work :o

Keep going !
  • Tascha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r wrote: »
    I really like the character design and also +1 to the character pass. I thought it looked awesome, but when I saw the paint over and read the suggestions, I completely agree. It will bring the already awesome character work, to a whole new level, with super simple tweaks :) As for the chicken boss... Thats hilariously awesome! The one thing I am worried about is the 4096*2 texture O.O Thats nuts! I think with your textual density in your screenshots, and depending on how big he is, you could easily get away with a 2048. My team and I, on our current student project, were able to get away with one 2048 atlas for entire levels at a time, with very very crisp details, even up close. Depending on how big he is though, I can see a 4096 being needed if he is going to be like 100ft tall. Awesome work though! I LOVE the art direction, and the game play looks super sweet, really excited to get my hands on this when it is released (if I have a system I can play it on XD)

The ability to change the ENTIRE environment and game play mechanics is F*CKING SWEET. That is a total game changer (<-- see what I did there?). It is super unique and definitely a remembering game aspect. I would definitely look back and think "Remember that one game where you can play literally switch the entire environment and you complete puzzles and shit with the mechanic?" I did just that the other day when I went to show a friend the awesome prototype videos. Good stuff, and die-ing to see the game come together!

Don't worry about the count. It's not optomized for the game and just the specs of the render :) Our Art Director has worked on MMOs before so he knows how to optimize (at least I Hope so ;)).

If any of you are planning to be at GDC in San Fran next year, get in contact with me and I can keep you updated on our progress and if and where we will be show-casing the game (if you want to take a look :))
  • Holland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holland polycounter lvl 9
    Looking forward to picking this up! :)