Home General Discussion

Vray or Mental ray, for photo realistic characters

Hey guys, first of all, this is not going to be vs thread, just i want a option which one to choose, for rendering. For both Vray and Mental ray, i can't find some tutorials about it. every tutorial i found is for creating interior and exterior, but nothing for achieve realism of character.

Some help/advice/suggestion?

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Ive always been a fan of VRay honestly, I never liked Mental ray.
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why? Is more easy to use, more fast, more realism you can get from it:D?
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Both are technically totally capable of making photo realistic renders. But getting to that point is very challenging. I have more experience with mental ray, but iv seen more 3d portrait artist types using Vray. Maya has pretty good built in documentation for Mentalray. Not sure where Vray docs would be. Don't really have any good resources for portraits either, always been something I wanted to attempt.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    As far as i know the Vray SSS is faster and more robust than mentalrays, but i have no sources for backup.

The Vray docs are all on chaosgroup's website, under the "support" tab
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Sounds racist, but Vray seems to do White people better, and Mental Ray does Black people better.

:/
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be more clear, i want to learn this, just to set up basic light for a render for my character. I am not going too much for this, because i know how damn is complicated, i want to stick with modeling/texturing.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    just use vray/mentalray sun and sky for lighting, easiest lighting setup lol
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Sounds racist, but Vray seems to do White people better, and Mental Ray does Black people better.

H-How did you come to this conclusion?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Ryswick wrote: »

Rendering characters that are both light and dark skinned, in different engines? o.O

Again the render is just the tool if you learn one good enough you won't have any problems.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Ryswick wrote: »

Vray has that softer lighting, and SSS from what I've seen, and it captures a lot of the more subtle nuances of the more translucent caucasian skin.

Blacks have darker more opaque skin that lends itself to sharper contrasts and less scattering.

I'm not racist! I swear! I hate you all equally!!!!
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    I prefer Vray, however I never took the time to properly learn how to use MR.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    They're both the same really...if you're lazy enough not to supply and tweak the appropriate channels/maps/values with each one, then you will have a bad time either way.

For example, VRay comes with alot 'established' variables that make it easier to control right off the bat, but is extremely unforgiving if you don't have the right maps and put in the wrong ones, opposite of Mental Ray, in which an artist will have a hard time gripping with certain points, but you could use the same Diffuse map for all slots in SSS, and you'll still get decent results.

Also, in favor of MR, I always come across 'Uber' shader for MR created by the community, in the case of SSS, I found an Uber-SSS shader that had stuff like Oren Nayar, secondary 'Bleed' values and etc integrated in it, something which I THINK (not sure, since memory is fuzzy) that VRay might not have many of.
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is this SSS think u all taking about? So what do you recommend me to get and start learning?

Also i want to know about this 3 point lighting? How to set up, which lights to use it?

I see some good render from the people in their portfolio, does they sue this 3 point lighting thing?
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Similarly to how I see far more work being made with 3DS than Maya, I see more renders done with VRay than Mental Ray. That doesn't mean one is better than the other, but it may indicate that VRay has less of a learning curve.

Whatever gets your project done.

(I use Maya and MR because that's what I learned in school.)
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    SSS = Sub Surface Scattering = Light diffusing through layers of skin
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    both are great. MR has the advantage of being packaged with all autodesk products so its pretty widely used
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Google how to make sss skin materials.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vray > Mental ray

Vray is what most studios are moving to. Mental ray is old and inefficient. Stuff like depth of field and sss will render faster and better in vray. Vray's lights are easier to control IMO. If you are trying to simulate a real environment you control the light temp with a degree of Kelvin, not a color in the color picker. Also the lights are based off geo, which makes it more like real world lighting. It is very easy to take a piece of geo and convert it into a light. For example if you are trying to replicate a ring light, you simple convert a donut. :)

Another thing I like about vray is that you can convert the camera's into "Vray Physical Camera's". This allows you to have all the controls of a real camera.

As far as SSS goes, yes the main example is skin, but it goes beyond that. It's used for liquids and candles. Anything that light passes through and dynamically changes the color.

Reflections are also treated with a more realistic behavior. Sometimes that gets in the way of your "vision", but realize if that's the case, your vision won't look real.

And last note, do not use vray sun and sky. It's a noob move.

If you have any vray questions feel free to PM me.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot:
    Photometric lights have offered kelvin controls in Mental ray for a long time now, and making light emitting meshes is as simple as applying a material.

so far as camera simulation goes i presume your referring to exposure control, MR offers mr photographic which mimics films reaction to light. gives fstop and iso controls and so on.

What's so wrong with sun and sky in vray? I know some people just whack a default rig into their scene without proper consideration but a light is a light providing its physically plausible then its up to the user to expose it right and create good materials.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fletch:
    I don't know where kelvin is in mental ray but it is an easy switch for every light in vray.

I guess mental ray has common camera settings but I like how vray handles them more.

Sun and Sky is what people use when they don't know how to light. Yes, once I used the create sun only and angled it but you can build the same thing from scratch and usually you will get better results. I'm just saying the usually when someone brings up sun and sky, it means they are too lazy to create their own setup or they don't know how.

Another thing to add is that the vray_mtl is a lot more powerful and uses better termanology in the settings than the default maya shaders like blinn, lambert, and phong.

I guess the decision between mental ray and vray is whatever like to use, but more and more companies are moving away from Mental Ray and going towards Vray. Also Arnold is starting to become more popular.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I've been playing with VrayBlender lately: http://vray.cgdo.ru/index.html
    I prefer VRay to every other renderer so far.
    Here's a monkey:

BRay.jpg
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ironbearxl: Try turning up the subdivs on the lights and materials. Default should be 8. I would try 32 when testing and then turn it up to 64 or 128 for your final render.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Talbot, yup they were set to 8, thanks!
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem.

Here are also the render settings I use most of the time. I know it is maya but it should cross over I think.

VRay_Settings.jpg
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot: :D MR is maya is atrociously presented, now I know why you prefer VRay. They are on equal footing UI wise in max.
  • KonginChains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KonginChains polycounter lvl 12
    Talbot wrote: »
    No problem.

Here are also the render settings I use most of the time. I know it is maya but it should cross over I think.

VRay_Settings.jpg

Thanks for posting your basic settings Talbot.

Just like to ask since i haven't used vray for maya yet, can you use the native mental ray shaders in maya and render them out in vray?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    Some of the best renders for photorealistic characters that I've seen have come from Vray. I haven't used MR in a while so I don't know how things have changed, but I remember hating their skin shader. With Vray I've seen people do some really interesting and complex layered material setups.

One major thing to note is that I used to use Maya, and at the time I was testing the two Vray was much more adapted to Max. I tried Vray on both and there were some definite differences. So if you use Maya I would be a little more wary, MR and Maya work easily together and I've had a meh experience in the past with Vray and Maya. If you use Max then Vray seems like an easy choice (if it's a choice), some of the best renders I've seen used Vray in Max.

cgfeedback has some good examples, Vimmy is the first that comes to mind http://www.cgfeedback.com/cgfeedback/showthread.php?t=414 (nsfw)

Edit:
    He describes the shader setup he uses in the thread
    eyes%20render2.jpg
    Skin%20shader%20test.jpg
  • KonginChains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KonginChains polycounter lvl 12
    i would assume vray for maya to provide just as good of a result as vray for max since they are essentially the same render engine. would you mind elaborating why exactly vray for max is better?
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    Sure, the menus and options were different. Also the parameter values didn't give me the same results, although that could have been to do with scale issues I'm pretty sure I looked into that. Also at this time Max was supporting a more updated version of Vray and Maya support came later, Max sort of seemed to get the first attention. I remember trying to set up similar results with similar parameters across the two and it being a pain.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    People like using VRay because it has presets you can change to on the fly. They're both the same essentially, both of them do the same thing, what changes are the options available for you at the start.

IIRC, someone actually wrote an Uber-Skin shader for Mental-Ray for Max, and it had all the important functions in, even when VRay doesn't (Oren Nayar anyone?), not to mention has mutiple layers of Specular (Gollum from LOTR had essentially 3 Blinn and 3 Phong calls) while VRay has one at most.

At the same time, VRay and MR cannot hold a candle next to Maxwell, especially when it comes to the more 'organic' shaders, like skin, hair, etc. especially in terms of sub-variety, in which they have several specialized one you can mix and match through blends, as opposed to 'tick box on separate mesh' approach of VRay or single mesh material in MR.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think you have to define who the user is before you can make a real comparison. the needs of a single artist rendering turntables for there portfolio is vastly different then a studio pipeline that consistently has to render huge datasets at 4k+ with a large assortment of custom shades effects and displacement.

for the single artist without much rendering experience who wants to render turntables or moderately complex scenes v-ray offers you a sturdy set of training wheels to keep you from falling over and cracking you head on the curb. setting up shaders and lights is fairly easy because everything has been tuned to give you a 'nice' result out of the box. the render setting are also refined to the the essentials. in most cases you have to adjust 2 or 3 setting to get a final image.

mental ray has all the features that v-ray has and a good deal more. but for the single artist without much rending experience you will never want or need to touch any of those extra features. mental ray has no training wheels and therefore offers you many opportunities to crack your head open and fall into pits filled with snakes etc... there are situations where you may need to wire shader parameters by hand, construct custom shaders from nodes or even write custom shaders in c++ to get certain effects.

if you stick to the basics, area lights, HDR dome lights then your ok in either one. and you can get essentially the same image in both renderers. each one has speed advantages in certain effects. if your looking for a set of training wheels for mental ray then take a look at mentalcore http://core-cg.com/ . it gives you a more v-ray like setup.
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    JacqueChoi wrote: »

hahaha , you made my day sir!
  • nj0r0g3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nj0r0g3 polycounter lvl 6
    I don't think mentalcore can be considered as training wheels lol. In the case of Golem from LOTR isn't that a case of using a blend material? Doesn't vray have a blend material too allowing you to use multiple materials and their attributes?
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Talbot wrote: »
    No problem.

Thanks for sharing your settings. Do you have any examples of what these settings will get me? Also a word or two on your light setup?
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well used both, anyone that says one does better quality over the other, clear doesn't know the engine extensively.

go for the one you know more, both give outstanding results on good hands.