Home General Discussion

Long Distance Interviews

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
SnakeDoctor keyframe
Hey guys, I currently live in Charlotte, NC and I have a question about long distance interviews within the games industry. I just graduated and have been looking around for places to send my resume to. After talking to the wife she brought up the question of the expenses needed for long distance travel. My question is a long distance interview process normally done? Would I be more likely required to fly to the city, or are they done over the phone/skype? As of right now our funds would not allow extensive travel by flying so I'm starting close to where I live by looking at jobs on the eastern seaboard. This includes Raleigh, Virginia, and Maryland as my starting choices. If don't get any job offers I would have to look out west toward Texas and possibly California. This of course causes increased travel expenses. If anyone has advice or knows what goes on I would be glad to hear from you. Thanks everyone for your time!

http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2011/03/29/thoughts-on-the-interview-process-in-the-game-industry/

This says that companies will fly you out for an interview. I feel as though this is misleading as I can only see companies doing it for more senior people not a entry level artist. Anyone have any input on this?

Replies

• skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    A few years ago I lived in Salt Lake City, Utah and interviewed in Atlanta, Ga. 2000 miles away. First interview was over the phone. Then the flew me in for an onsite interview. Everything was paid for by the company, including flight and meals. I think it's pretty standard that the company pays for it all.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I would say you shouldn't have to pay for the flights yourself. If they genuinely want you they will pay.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    You begin with phone and/or skype interviews, then get flown in on their dime for an onsite.

Anyone who is doing things differently is someone you should question carefully.

Apply everywhere!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I got my first real industry job because I paid my own flight expenses - although they said right away they can't cover it. Fortunately the while trip cost only 70 pounds in total (The Ryan air flight was just 5 quid) . I really wanted to grasp this chances so I took a risk and it was worth it.

In general, I wouldn't do this again. Not now that I have some titles and experience under my belt. But if you really want to break in you have to take calculated risks like that. In general the company should pay - only play your own expenses if you feel you have a good chance, if it doesn't rip a hole in your budget. And remember, this is not the norm.
    Also there's usually a phone interview first. Some studios hire without any face-to-face interview due to slashed budgets. They can get rid of you during probation anyway.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    You begin with phone and/or skype interviews, then get flown in on their dime for an onsite.

Anyone who is doing things differently is someone you should question carefully.

Apply everywhere!

This is true! Every place I've heard of will cover the cost of flying and hotel stay for an interviewee, including more entry level positions. Don't stress about it! :)

Not for interns, those are usually found locally.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Ghostscape wrote: »

Exactly how all of mine have gone. Most recently with Timegate. I was up in Redmond, WA and Timegate is down in Sugar Land, TX (~2500 miles). I applied, they emailed me back to set up a phone interview. After that they flew me out for an onsite, they paid for everything. Little over a week later, I got the call back and an offer.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Same here, when I had my interview here at Massive we first had a phone-interview then they flew me here to have a talk. Once you're there I'd say your chances are pretty good :)
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I had a phone interview with a UK studio spurred on by some pushy recruiter when my portfolio wasn't really in order last year.

I live in the caribbean, so a fucking ticket costs $1000+us to the UK so that obviously wasn't an option. but since I don't really have much experience, I would probably foot my own bill to relocate for the right studio, but this is either if it was a dealbreaker, or they considered me unproven etc...
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    If its a proper company,they should pay your expenses whether you are senior or a junior.

My first job was a junior position and the company paid for plane tickets and accommodations and this was from the US to Europe.

If a company doesn't offer to cover your costs be wary.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    I had some interviews for US/European companies outside of the UK when I graduated and they all started with a Skype/phonecall. If a company is serious about you they will pay for your flights but it's not always the case and it doesn't necessarily mean that the company is a bad one. If you're serious about a company then you will go the distance for the interview - even if you have to borrow cash! ;D However if you live nearby (1-2 hours) then there is a chance that a company will expect you to make your own way there. If you get the job then they will more than likely pay you back :)

If you happen to be in the country/area and you have contacts at a company then you should let them know as they might be more likely to bring you in for an informal chat if you're in the area as it's actually quite convenient; I know a few people who have landed jobs this way.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Wow thanks for the replies everyone. This really put my mind at ease and now feel comfortable not limiting myself in my search for a job.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Good Luck Chris :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Same here, when I had my interview here at Massive we first had a phone-interview then they flew me here to have a talk. Once you're there I'd say your chances are pretty good :)
    Wear pants. Or at least a cod piece.

Like everyone said, just relax. Usually it's email, then Skype, then if you pass that, you fly out. Although my last one was strange, it was email, email, Skype, Skype, contract then I started working.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    When I got my job up at Bungie they covered nothing in terms of moving expenses.

It was for a 9month contract position, at fucking Bungie! and I took the 3d modeling test and was given the environment job after talking with them, fresh out of college, and then I was recommend down to Naughty Dog when they couldn't hire me on longer.

So that worked out super well for me :)

Point of the story is, if its working at your dream studio/dream job/fucking amazing job and they dont pony up cash to help you move its still worth it! Sometimes...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Lamont wrote: »
    Wear pants. Or at least a cod piece.

Or for an acceptable middle-ground, chaps.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    shave, i got made fun of for forgetting to shave... lol