Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique

Hi everyone, I am a recent graduate and I am trying to get my portfolio up to snuff. Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Here's the site: http://justindwilder.com

Replies

• Wilder4690
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went ahead and redid the first image and combined an ambient occlusion pass with a vector pass to show the poly-flow. Do you guys recommend I do the same for the other images that are currently just rendered with ambient occlusion?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UGHH FLASH! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

In all seriousness...most people look down on flash..not being able to right click and save images is no bueno.

First off...take a look through this:
    http://www.jonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/

Heed this guys advice..he knows what hes talking about.

The biggest thing is that you need to have a focus on what type of job you want, and get rid of the fluff. If you want to be a 3d artist, you don't need the Bio, Writing, or 2D work.

As far as your 3d work goes...almost none of it appears finished. Besides the scene with the trees, nothing else is textured....with the exception of the lego looking dudes which just have solid colors. You should really drop your portfolio down to a small set of completely finished pieces.

Also, keep an eye out for other peoples portfolios on here and see their portfolio design and quality of work, and try to match that.

Thats all for now..check out the article and take advice from it. I think you have a lot of work to do to have a portfolio that will land you a job, but don't be discouraged. Keep it up man.
  • theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wilder4690 wrote: »
    I went ahead and redid the first image and combined an ambient occlusion pass with a vector pass to show the poly-flow

That sounds like some complex quantum mechanic when you read it out loud heh :poly142:

I think you need fully textured models in there, specially if you want to get in the game industry i think...

First thing...get rid of that "Writing" section, seriously.

Flash is a big "no-no" as well when it comes down to portfolios.

You should get your best models in there, only the best ones. It's better less with better quality then an overall OK quality with models going from good to bad.
  • Natland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Natland polycounter lvl 9
    ^Basically what he said^

I am in the process of creating my portfolio as well, I think a simple website is better than the flash ones. Also, flash doesn't play on ipads, iphones, etc. (I think).
    I wouldn't put any WIP's on there unless it is in a designated WIP section, WIP's definitly shouldn't be on your front page. Also the older work on there that you have should be taken off, if it is not up to the quality of your current stuff then it will only bring you down.

I agree, you do need to work more on your skills, but you have a foundation to work off of now which is good :)

Also, listen to all the crunch casts on youtube! They will be very helpful and entertaining for you!
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In addition you have very little that is actually complete. A lot of your models are not textured. Like natland said the first image i see if a wireframe face, that in incomplete. Lead with your best
  • ImperialDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you are newly graduated and don't have much work done outside classes, but a thing I could say is that the more references to school projects you make, to more potential recruiters will probably exit your portfolio quickly. These assets looks like school projects (no texturing, no real-time renders, no focus on one aspect of 3D Art, etc.).

Also, I know you still don't have work experience in 3D companies, but, in your resume, I would try as much as possible to avoid work experiences that are really far from 3D Modeling (like "personal tutor for Eden Church").

For your work section, I would really focus on 2-3 very nice assets than displaying all of them while they are half-finished.

Finally, download a free game engine (UDK, CryEngine, etc) and make real-time renders of your fully textured assets (Diffuse, Spec, Normal, Emissive, Opacity, etc).
  • dand3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dand3d polycounter lvl 12
    Ok, I have some feedback for your site. Not your art your site.

I think everyone hates flash sites don't know really why but most people don't like them. But if you can AX the flash.

What type of artist are you? I see you do 3d but are you a generalist, a character, or environment artist? Put that on your site.

Why do you have writing and bio pages? Are you trying to become a poem writer or short story or an artist? AX those two pages, the only thing potential employers care to see is your art and your resume. Anything else then that will just get in the way.

Why do you have two different formats for the 3d page and the 2d page? Pick one and stick with it.

I can not save any of your images... Employers who look at 100s of portfolios for one job position will go through sites, and say yes or no. If yes they will save some images from your site that they liked, and throw them into a folder of potential hires. If I can not save your images, you'll never go into that potential hire folder, secondly if you don't have your name, website and contact info on your images, the potential employer might not remember where they got it from.

This is a personal opinion, so take it or leave it, but... take the picture of you off your main page. I'm not going to your website to see pictures of you, I want to see what type of art you can make. Anything but your art will detract and distract from your art.

Lastly... People will not remember you for your best piece of art, they will remember you for your worst. Continue to make new art, and replace your old art with the new art.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with all the above posts! If it's character art you want to do, focus on one project and put your heart and soul into it. Make a kick ass character. Then when you're done, make another. When I first went on to your site, I didn't know that you wanted to do characters, I thought, if anything, you were more environment based.

You seem to have some solid skills, now use those to make some kickass, fully finished work
  • ImperialDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dand3d wrote: »
    Lastly... People will not remember you for your best piece of art, they will remember you for your worst. Continue to make new art, and replace your old art with the new art.

So true, man...
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    I'm going to be blunt here, because it helps.

Forget your website.

Focus on your work, because your current work isn't going to get you a job, regardless of how its presented. The advice people have given about your website isn't wrong, but right now, it's irrelevant.

You need to work. Time spend a lot of time on foundation concepts like light, form, color, anatomy, etc All of these things are missing from your work. So, instead of spending your energy trying to wrap your work in a pretty package, worry about the work itself.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry to say it, but you've got some work ahead of you. Its time to bridge the gap between what's good for school projects and what's good for getting a job... Sadly the two often don't match up, but you wont be the first newly graduated artist who has had to do this.

First and foremost, pick a specialization. What type of art do you want to do? and for what industry? Since you're on polycount, i'm guessing games? figuring that out will help you know what to work on.

Once you've decided where to focus your efforts, its time to start some new work. if you're not sure what to do, ask around about what sort of work artists with that focus need to show. Also check out portfolios of others working those sorts of jobs.

Knowing what you're shooting for, you can start making art. Post WIPs for feedback and you'll probably get some useful advice. You might get some tough crits, but hang in there and you'll improve.

Good luck.
  • Wilder4690
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow. Thanks everyone for the great advice! It's a little overwhelming to think that nothing that I have done in four years is good enough for my portfolio. I'll not worry about the website until I get my "floating head" character done and therefore actually have something to put on it. Anyway thanks again everyone.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    Wow. Thanks everyone for the great advice! It's a little overwhelming to think that nothing that I have done in four years is good enough for my portfolio. I'll not worry about the website until I get my "floating head" character done and therefore actually have something to put on it. Anyway thanks again everyone.

be patient and keep working. I graduated 1 year ago and still don't have a full time job. My portfolio work has improved though critiques on this forum and industry people I've met from networking around my area. I've also had 3 different websites in the past year. With each new website came new work and new renders and improvements to my work, not just a new web design. Keep at it!
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im at about 15. years and still dont have a job but my skill and work have increased 10x. just keep working at it stay positive and it will happen, thats what i keep telling myself lol
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    your already graduated? your in a tough position man. work on your texturing abilitys, the best way to do that is to paint 2d from reference. Have you practiced color theory? Have you used sculpting programs? your going to have to balls to the wall if you want to get a job in a reasonable time.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

At least you have a good attitude about it. Don't be so down about the quality of the work. Being grounded like this will give you a realistic perspective on what you need to do to get a job.

My portfolio when I graduated from college was garbage. But use those projects as a learning experience and build off of them. Try to target a specific type of work you want to do (characters, environments, 2d, 3d, whatever) and put most of your focus in that...have only a few portfolio pieces..and make some new ones that are better, and just keep updating over old ones.

Also...kind of a no brainer..but when you do start working on new stuff..make sure you post it in pimping and previews so you can get some good feedback that could help you improve.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much all i wanted to say has already been said so im going to keep it short.

Im down with whipSwitch on this one, just work on your artwork and don't stress about the website yet. A good idea i think would be to start your own digital sketchbook thread here, ask for help and stuff and when you start getting good feedback and ready models, then start to put them on the site.

Your taking the feedback like a pro, that's good! Remember, it's never too late.
    Don't just worry about getting to your goal, remember to enjoy the journey leading to it also. :)
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am in no position to really be talking, but I'm going to be blunt with you. The website, you should take down for a while.

I really don't want to offend you but the stuff you've got is just not good enough at all. You're lacking a lot of the fundamentals of basic art and a lot of your work looks incomplete.

On the positive side you've got a great attitude and it seems like you've got really great work ethic. Honestly, that is the most important skill to have as an artist. Your current work may be less than acceptable but if you practice day and night I'm fairly certain you'd be able to start producing work that is top notch.

In my case it took, and still is taking a buttload of dedication to get good. I practice about 4-8 hours per day with either 3d or 2d art. You can't expect to get by in this world by just coasting through, you need to work your ass off and become a professional at what you do.

Keep striving to be the best, you can definitely do it man. The amount of work that you have shows that you are dedicated.

Good luck :)

EDIT: I want to mention that I was like 100x worse than you when I started. Art is a skill that can be taught just like mathematics or a language. It just all takes practice. Its that simple, there is no such thing as natural talent, some people are just better at learning than others.
  • Wilder4690
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FractaL wrote: »
    I am in no position to really be talking, but I'm going to be blunt with you. The website, you should take down for a while.

I really don't want to offend you but the stuff you've got is just not good enough at all. You're lacking a lot of the fundamentals of basic art and a lot of your work looks incomplete.

On the positive side you've got a great attitude and it seems like you've got really great work ethic. Honestly, that is the most important skill to have as an artist. Your current work may be less than acceptable but if you practice day and night I'm fairly certain you'd be able to start producing work that is top notch.

I will take down the site soon or at least strip it down, I am looking at a couple sites a friend suggested that doesn't use flash.

It looks like I will be dedicating this summer to working on my portfolio rather than applying for jobs, but that shouldn't be a big deal provided I don't run out of money >_< I think I will take the suggestion to make a journal thread of my current WIP and as things get finished start adding those pieces to my portfolio.

Thanks again everyone for your advice and I hope to get feedback on individual pieces as I complete them.
  • ImperialDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the way to go!

Be sure that you're absolutely not the only one that this situation happened : we all got out of school with only school projects one day too. These projects are your firsts, you were still learning (and will still be for decades, like everyone).

Think of it as learning experiences (because that's what they are). With your technical knowledge granted doing your school projects, you can now start to master the Art! ;)