Home Technical Talk

3ds Max VMF Exporter in newest Wall Worm update

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
shawnolson polycounter lvl 13
I have released an update to the Wall Worm tools (a collection of 3ds Max tools for sending assets to the Source Game Engine) today. It's a very large update that includes various new features and tools. I have not documented many but have added the changelog as well as a small discussion of it here.

Among the new items are a new MAXScript SMD Exporter that introduces some new features into the SMD Exporting process: You can choose what mapping channel to export and you can use Shell Material (it uses the Baked Material for naming). I've been collaborating with Wunderboy, who is adding these same features to his compiled version. The MAXScript version also addresses the crashing you can get when trying to export some types of models (like meshes that are missing UVW data--which is currently a problem in Wunderboy's 1.6 SMD Exporter but he is working on addressing that in the upcoming Wunderboy SMD Exporter 1.7).

I've also added a VMF Exporter. Actually, it's been in the tool for a while but only exported WWMT models and displacements. It now exports convex brush geometry and point/brush entities if you own Convexity. (Also exports cameras).

The VMF Exporter is not yet complete. It doesn't export correct UVW information for the brush/displacement geometry. And it doesn't yet export lights. If you happen to have any input on getting the correct uaxis/vaxis data from a mesh for a brush face in a VMF, please do share. (While I am fair at programming/logic, my geometric math skills are not overly impressive... and I have not figured out the correct way to calculate that value.) I have a thread on the Area Forums detailing it more if think you could help with that.

I've also activated the Quick Hull function in the collision hull rollout in WWMT. It will create a convex piece of each element of each object in your model... and set the smoothing groups.

There are also some bug fixes and other miscellaneous changes.

Get latest Wall Worm Tools here.

Enjoy!

Replies