Home Technical Talk

UDK Lightmass/map seams won't quit.

Hey all. I've got the beginning of a level that I'm trying to get going, and I'm having some trouble with seams which I'm certain are lightmass-created. I've tried various different troubleshooting methods, none of which have given me consistent results. Either the edges start to come out black, or they 'highlight' a brighter color. The brighter one is a bit less annoying, but still needs fixing.

hyUIP.jpg

I've seen suggestions to make the walls/floors BSP, but I don't think (or know how/if) I can do any type of vertex painting on those surfaces, and I do want chipped plaster, as you see I was playing with in a couple of shots here.

The advice that makes the most sense to me (I read it in passing so i may even be mucking up the idea of it) was to take all of my modular pieces in Max, set them up as they would be in the scene, then combine them into a single mesh, sealing holes, etc.

The other option I've seen is to use bigger/longer/wider geometry which would minimize the amount different meshes/visible shadows on flat plains.

It do very much like the toolkit 'lego' aspect of the modular building I've been working with, but these seams are killing me! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Everything (for the most part) does tile well, unlit. I'm sure it's the shadow maps causing issues, but I'm stumped as to what to do.

ALBUM: http://imgur.com/a/awgi2

Replies

• Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use Gamesalad. UDK is for beginners.

Ok sorry for the troll post. I would make sure there are 0 gaps between the set pieces. Even try overlapping the peices to see what happens.
  • paradox_inversion
    Overlapping LM UVs is the only thing I have yet to try, but who knows? I've tried everything technically correct as far as I know!
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    You can't have overlapping LM uv's, that's a big no no.

The problem looks like your mesh are closed on the ends, so the lightmap is basically 'leaking' around the side and bleeding in. It's easy to fix, just delete the adjacent internal wall sections so the mesh is open.
  • paradox_inversion
    You can't have overlapping LM uv's, that's a big no no.

The problem looks like your mesh are closed on the ends, so the lightmap is basically 'leaking' around the side and bleeding in. It's easy to fix, just delete the adjacent internal wall sections so the mesh is open.

I actually did go ahead and do that-- The brighter walls are an example. I went a bit further to replace all of old geometry with it, and it got rid of the highlighting on the edge, but there are still visible lighting seams on the wall. Uploaded a new photo with those instanced around.

I've been hearing/seeing a lot of 'why not use BSP', but I'm not sure how to keep those details such as chipping plaster without vertex painting them in. Many, many hours of google searching have taught me a lot more about UDK, just none of it has helped me figure out this issue.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    Can you post your lightmap UVs? Have you tried bumping up the resolution of your lightmaps?
  • paradox_inversion
    Bumped them up, got slightly better results, but still a visible seam, even at a distance. I'll update the album when imgur isn't over capacity/enduring maintenance.
  • paradox_inversion
    UV for the plain walls. Just a plane. Most concerned with this since it's the most common element. Again, I'd (kinda rather) use BSP if I could doing anything similar to vertex painting on it.
    u3CvW.jpg

Result with lightmap res at 512.
    S6fBh.jpg

Still a seam, but much less noticeable in high contrast.

Lit, however...
    b771w.jpg

Definite seams. Considering breaking up my walls into bigger chunks, which'll change the sizes of things a little bit, but it would decrease the repetition of the pieces.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Hi man I hope this helps, scroll down to middle of my post on the link you ll find walls :).

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92440

Sorry for advertising myself lol :D, I should have made this as separate but ended up adding the help info in my sketchbook.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    and if you are going for modular workflow and encountering this issue i can gaurentee you havent seen this :P

http://www.thiagoklafke.com/modularenvironments.html

+1 to whoever told you to combine the wall segments together as one mesh, other words you need a wall segment that is bigger than usual to cover large areas, same goes for floor roof etc. Think of it as having more variety pieces of LEGO to get out of tricky situations :) like this one.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    use a larger pieces, or use a desgin, that has pillars or elements you can put over to cover seams between wall sections.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    World of Level Design has been running a series on UDK lightmapping that you might find helpful. He talks about seams and a bunch of other stuff:

http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/
  • paradox_inversion
    Thanks, everyone who's commented and put in some assistance on this. I have check out all of the resources, many of which I had seen, some I certainly had not, and I think I've found BSP is in fact, the best way to go here.

Here are a couple more shots, with the BSP version. I went back and worked up that plaster texture a bit more too. It was too white and not contrast-y enough for me.
    wgKTM.jpg
    F8CjV.jpg

I can still pull off that bare-brick effect with decals, it just took me a bit to figure out how to get them more or less working with the scene. I'll keep going in this thread for a bit on the topic of those seams though, I like to keep those files and try to troubleshoot them.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BSP will work until it doesn't. :) Eventually you'll lay a decal across a BSP cut which will cause half the decal to turn black or not light correctly and then you'll be back to meshes. That's always been my experience anyway. Heh...
  • paradox_inversion
    I briefly had that issue! Had to mess around with the lighting a bit and change settings on the BSP surfaces. I'm not planning on going too crazy with the BSP/Decals, though-- Floors and walls like this (that don't have much height/breakouts/major physical variation) will use BSP and architectural elements shall be mostly modular.