Home General Discussion

John Carmack making VR headsets!

Ark
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ark polycounter lvl 11
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/06/john-carmack-is-making-a-virtual-reality-headset-500-kits-available-soon-video-interview-inside/

Looks pretty good. Can imagine this being awesome for horror games, Amnesia and Doom 3 would be really cool.

Replies

• Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    looks interesting, but i gues you gotta experience it live to be able to judge its potential.
    could be it gets realy anoying after some time to have to move your had constantly.
    but it could also be that it feels more natural then anything ever.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    will buy, carmack is god
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    The most important part to me is that it's not just two screens infront of your eyes and black around it cinema-style.

I want some goddamn peripheral screens aswell.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I'll wait for a demo. Megatextures.
  • tupwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oooh Amnesia in this would be insane!
    Love it.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryswick wrote: »
    I'll wait for a demo. Megatextures.

Yeah, I'll need to read some reviews first but ... interesting, anyway.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    First of all

HE IS NOT MAKING IT! HE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CONSTRUCTING THAT HMD.

He is merely testing a prototype for another person.

This guy is the real genius behind the whole thing.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=14777

There's also a website that launched on the 1st.

oculusvr.com

Its down of course....

Holly hell you would think at least something like PCGamer would get that shit right.

Then again all the big sites are reporting the same thing.. oh well
    either way it should get a lot of good exposure for the RIFT (which it is)

Goal is to make a Sub $500 vr set with a super high field of view.
    Most consumer HMD have around less than 40, the Sony one has less than 30.

Palmers HMD will come with a 90 degree field of view standard and will be able to be upgraded to 120+
    The screen resolution will not be super high just good enough to keep the cost down.
    but it can be upgraded. Its a kit and parts will be able to be upgraded.

There will be a kick starter soon June 16 i heard.

And i am super excited about this lol. Been a long time VR nerd and lets say that 90 degree field of view for $500 is AMAZING.

Most VR sets that come close or beyond are in the Thousand of dollars range and are sold to the military or for hardcore scientific instrumentation.

There PCGAMER i did your reporting job. ..
    And complained less about not understanding John Carmacks jargon :p
  • Ark
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Oh well. More headaches after so called 3D ;s
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    it's a cool project that palmertech is working on, and carmack is just enough of a super cool dude to support him by using his name to help him get better hardware, as well as making a custom version of doom 3 that supports the glasses.

however, this isn't what gets me excited. the really important thing to me is that carmack is concerned with the topic of display latency--a huge issue that nobody but the most discerning of PC gaming nerds seem to care about. he's mentioned his interest in this subject before, and i hope he continues to use his influence to help eliminate the 20ms+ input lag which pointlessly plagues all of today's display hardware.

if you watch the giantbomb interview it's clear that he truly cares about this. i have more respect than ever for carmack right now.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Holodeck or nothing!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I have used this thing and it's amazing. Impossible to see on a video how cool it is. Makes 3d TV's look like a big joke.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    got any motionsickness?
    how does it work when you wear glasses?
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    "on there"

I love this man
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    As an avid flightsimmer, I heart Carmack for this.

A wearable, 6DOF hi-def stereoscopic display is the last hurdle to flightsim nirvana.
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    I got the impression that Carmack is creating software adjustments along with some hardware adjustments on Palmer's VR-set to make it even better? More like collaboration rather than promotion?
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    I don't really get what is involvement is from the video, it more comes off as him just messing around with the tech and the way he talks about it is way down the road 2 or 3 years.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Needles wrote: »
    LOTS OF TEXT

Yeah, as far as I understood it, he coded stuff for it to compensate for lens distortion aswell as making more efficient code to reduce the latency ALOT, so its actually usable for gaming, so no, he is not only testing someone elses prototype. He talks about this in the interview with kotaku I think it was, where he mentions using algorithms from his rocket-project.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    i got a chance to try it, and I gotta say... its amazing. I cant watch 3d tv's because it doesn't really work on me, and it hurts my eyes, but these glasses work amazingly. You don't need time to adjust, it doesn't strain your eyes, nor is it hard to play in... its sooooo cool. The 3d works extremely well and combined with the headphones, makes it an absolutely incredible experience. If I ever get the chance, I'm buying one. :)