Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Michael Barnes, 3d Artist

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
barnesy polycounter lvl 9
Hello fellow polycounters, here is my new portfolio.

www.mikebarnes3d.com/

I can now start looking for work as my university studies have ended.

I originally focused solely on character creation, however I wanted to develop my skills in other areas such as vehicle and weapon creation.

I did have a sculpts page in linked to the navigation bar, however I decided to remove it as my sculpts were fairly dated and did not match up to my newer work. That is why there is a lot of blackness going on.

Any comments are suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for looking :poly121:

Replies

• Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I would have looked at your site, but my phone doesn't support flash.

Don't use flash.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    no flash sites, please.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Site loads tooo slowww, are you creating separate thumbnails for the icons that lead to the full images? If so then its just the flash really bogging down the site.

Can't comment on site, if you wish to keep the flash side of the site then have options on the main art page click> HTML / Flash <click but everyone might just go with the html, you can be the judge by the stats/hits on your site.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

I have made a new HTML version of it which seems to be much faster :)

http://www.mikebarnes3d.com/#!portfolio|mainPage

I still need play around with the character bust portrait. I was also thinking about adding titles to the pictures.
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    Looking better Mike, as everyone has said steer clear of the flash stuff and anything that takes too long to load - and if the sites still slow try making your thumbnail images more websafe - msg me on facebook and ill explain that better :D
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That background is making my eyes bleed. Other than that it looks pretty good i think :)
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks , I have changed the background and all of the image sizes so that it doesnt take forever and a day to load.

www.mikebarnes3d.com

There is the new website with a additional vehicle :)

How is it for load time?

In Cornwall everyone's internet speed seems to be different so it is hard to get a average as to how long it takes to load.

Also, I am torn between 3 choices at the moment.

A - keep the previous work section

B - Remove it

or

C - Convert it to a art dump showing , leaving only a dump/list of the keep parts of each of the old pieces of work that I would like to show.

I am also thinking of adding a new blog section to the portfolio to show daily sketches/studies etc which I do not actually want to put in the main portfolio itself.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Are you proud of those old pieces?
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like them for their design but I feel that my modelling/ texturing and sculpting is much better now.

Thats a pretty cool signature, the word punting just reminds me of Anchorman where Baxter gets punted off the bridge lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDfQo1ANeLM&quot;]Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (4/8) Movie CLIP - Ron Thrashes a Chopper (2004) HD - YouTube[/ame]
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    "I feel that my modelling/ texturing and sculpting is much better now"
    Then get rid of the old ones. Weakest link, etcetera and so forth.

I mean, if you hardly have any work and want to show some diversity, you can keep older pieces. But you've got 5 fairly strong and reasonably diverse pieces, so you don't need to hold on to the past.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Where in the world are you based?
    Its important to state this.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you have some good stuff and comparing the old stuff to the new, you are improving nicely. I don't think you should stop with what you have, because you're right at the point that the next few pieces you do, will steamroll anything you've done in the past. So don't relax keep pushing!

The layout is good, I personally expected to click on "Michael Barnes 3D Artist" at the top and have it take me back to the main page.

I think you should put a beauty image right at the top of each page you click on, instead of text. People want to see cool and impressive before they want the texty details. If you have to qualify your art with text explanations in order for it to be impressive, it might not be as impressive as you hoped...

You use youtube for your turn arounds, which its nice that you provide turn arounds that's great, but I think you need to provide them in a scrubable format that like quicktime .mov or .mp4. youtube is horrible for scrubbing, trust me people will want to scrub it, pause and look at specific sections then rotate it back and forth.

You might want to include your phone number in an image or in the contact email or embed it in your resume. There are bots that crawl the web and you will end up with a lot of people trying to sell your voice mail a lot of useless garbage, its just a matter of time.

Drone:
    The format of your turn around is a little frustrating. Cut the first 10sec out of it, make it like the others where there is a brief title and then goes right to it, the info in the first 10sec is redundant, I know its a drone, done by you and I'm already on your site. In demo reals you have 10 seconds to sell the viewer on the next 10sec, you waste the first 10 seconds and lose your viewer before anything starts, not good for the first piece in your folio...

The background in the still shots is noisy and distracting. With some better lighting in the scene you could really put the focus on the drone and make it stand out a lot better. Or cut the background all together.

Natalie:
    There are a few issues with this model that I think you could tweak and really bump the quality up, (most of these go for the male character also).
    1. The facial features are kind of low on her face. The hair sweeping down over the forehead helps to mask the height of her hairline but in the side and 3/4 view it shows her features are pretty low.
    2. She has grey stubble shadow, not very attractive on the ladies...
    3. The UV's seem to be packed pretty well with good optimization of the texture space, you might want to make sure there is proper padding around the UV shells for mip-mapping, down res'ing bla bla bla.
    4. It looks like some pieces are modeled separately? Like her two shirts, the pocket on the shirt the belt, the holster straps and various other bits and pieces.
      1. These can be hard to rig up and weight properly, it might save you a few polys or the headache of having to figure out topology but they almost always cause clipping issues.
      2. If you float something above something else you want the topology of the floater to match to the underlying topology, if it matches you might as well cut out the hidden polys and weld it together.
    5. Quite a few of these floating pieces (shirt pocket, straps ect...) could be handled by the normal map, or a subtle bump in the geometry.
    6. The eyes are off, They are kind of wide and bug eye'ed. It's not helping that the white is ultra white with very little shadowing going on. You might want to pick a shade a little whiter than the flesh tone, this helps account for things you can't see like veins, but at a distance tint the white a bit.
      1. Keep in mind that eyes aren't white marbles, they connect, where they connect you have very pink fleshy colored tissue, mix this with the shadowing from the eyelids and forehead and you get some colors that are very much not pure white. So instead of your eye diffuse being a iris floating on a sea of off white it would actually tradition to something more fleshy on the outer edges.
      2. This becomes more important when they eyes start moving around, you really want to avoid the "white marble floating in an eye socket look. The eyes are a major connection and projection point of emotion, get them wrong and you throw off the entire character. Get them right and your character comes to life.
    7. She has a lot of neck texture space on the face sheet, there isn't much in the way of fine detail so you can mostly squish this down, probably enough to fit the hair diffuse on the same sheet.
    8. I'm not sure why you have a separate eye texture and then you have an eye in the head diffuse? I also don't understand the eye in the spec and normal map?
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snader - Thanks , that means a lot! I agree, they say that you are judged by your worst piece. For that reason I have removed them from the site :)

Del - Ahhh thanks! I have added that to a new about page along with a brief summary of my CV

Mark Dygert - Thanks for the in-depth feedback. You gave me a lot of things to think about which has kept me busy for the last few days.

I have moved the videos to the bottom so the viewer can have instant feedback with the images. I have also linked each of them to the higher res versions.

I have tried to incorporate as much of the changes as you suggested with regards to both Natalie and the Drone.

The small changes you pointed out have made a huge difference in my opinion , especially the eyes and the hair line, oh and the stubble shadows lol

On a side note I have changed the thumbnails for both Natalie and the Nobleman.

I am in the process of starting a new hand painted project, creating the concept in Photoshop.

I am torn between 2 choices at the moment. Should post the finished concept as a WIP or should I wait untill the final 3d model is finished :S

I have found that people seem to advise that you do not post WIP's on your website as it suggests that you do not finish projects etc. However I am in a pickle as I do not seem to be having any luck with my job hunting and I really need to get a job. I feel that I might be lacking in low spec characters so the concept I am working on is pretty unique (I hope...it is a Penguin Soldier/Cyborg!) low spec character which should hopefully wow potential employers.

Should I put it on my portfolio and put 'coming soon' over it or just leave it out?
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I have added a new sculpts section along with a blog which I am attempting to keep up to date.

MichaelBarnes_BatmanSculpt2.jpg

MichaelBarnes_Batman-1.jpg

MichaelBarnes_Bale.jpg

MichaelBarnes_SpencerStingerHead.jpg

I am contemplating adding some small bars with headings to separate the game assets from the sculpts as I am not sure if the sculpts writing fits in with the rest of the page at the moment.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am failing quite miserably at finding work at the moment. After 2 months of applying I have yet to have an interview, art test or any decent responses to my applications.

The bar on here is set very high so I am guessing that either my work isn't up to par or I am doing something very wrong when applying.

Can anyone see a major gap in my work or suggest any type/style of character/creature/asset that would potentially better my chances?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    To be straightforward, those 3 characters in the center have distorted and weird faces. I'd keep moving forward with more things like the batman and less things like that demon.
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, i graduated from Southampton a year ago and not a single company emailed me back, not even feedback.

Its not that easy, you may have to wait until some seasoned game artists have died of old age before you get an interview.

Like the website, love the drone, but 2 things:

Your sculpting strokes need to be smoother, you need to practise more.
    If you're going to use SSS, do a better job of using colour and detail.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    It's not the gap. You should spend some time rigging and making interesting poses and scenes with your characters. It's one thing to know how to make characters, to be a character artist however is an entirely different game.

I recommend you take your characters and build maquettes around them and focus on telling a bit of story and giving some context to them. As it is now, they don't tell me anything about your ability to be creativity. When companies are looking to hire someone, they're looking for someone who they can invest in for their future.

So, here we go:

Learn to rig. Rig their faces, get some facial expressions.

Build Maquette environments for your characters that are focused on bringing context to them.

Posing, and story in your art will make it feel less technical, and way more artistic.

You can get away with T-poses if you're Kolby Jukes. If you're not, you should be spending time posing and showing you have an understanding of musculature in motion.

And as I tell everyone - Ask more questions on polycount. Be more active within the community and learn. Don't give up, just because you have a portfolio doesn't mean you should stop producing art for it. This is a craft that demands perfection, and honestly, the competition here and worldwide for character art positions is mind boggling. You're on the right path. :) Hang in there! Keep producing, and make some changes to your work and you'll be good!
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cholden - Thanks for the feedback, I shall continue down the sculpting route.

Would you suggest the speed sculpt route to produce lots of likeness sculpts or to focus on full body sculpts?

I just checked out your sketchbook thread and dammmmmm! Your sketch a day's are amazing. I really want to improve my 2d painting but I must sort out my 3D first lol

After following some of the links I found myself on a Russian website looking at a abandoned submarine base, I thought to myself "Only on bloody Polycount"

Ravanna - What?! are you serious?! If you can't get a job after a year , what chanced do I have? I looked at your portfolio and your work is crazy good! Have you just been looking for character artist jobs or have you been looking for 3d artist, junior artist and QA jobs?

I think us aspiring 3d artists need to lynch some of these seasoned artists to make way for new blood, jokes!

Seasame - Thanks for your encouraging words and feedback, I will apply it to future models.

I haven't rigged the Nobleman character as another member of the mod was tasked with rigging and implementing the character. Once he is implemented to Chivalry I will be able to get some pics of him being chased by knights lol

I have rigged the Natalie character but like you say, better use of posing and facial expressions would really sell the character more. I will consider that in future projects and spend more time putting the character into context.

I spent a good 2 days re vamping the Natalie character and shouting at 3ds max and premier, I don't think I can put myself through that again lol I think my time would be better spent working on some new sculpts with some cool poses and musculature motion.

Philip7 - Thanks dude!
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    For the Scott Spencer stinger head, I think you should make it a) your own texture b) better (if possible) than the one from the video/book.

If you choose to keep it that is, personally I think you'll want to remove it because it's like the Eat3D pillar: people have seen it and know the tutorial, so it doesn't show much about your ability to work independently; it just shows you know how to follow a tutorial.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a good point artstream.

For that reason I have removed it from the portfolio and added another sculpt.

Michaelbarnes_cowboysculpt-1.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    that last sculpt could really use some work, there's some real lumpiness going on, and the fine surface detail is really doing you no favours.

I'd say really try and push the lower subdivision levels much further, and try and be more observant, for example, that cowboy hat looks real small, and those stitches don't look like any stitches I've seen on a cowboy hat, and that collar doesn't really look like a real collar, it looks more like what you think a collar looks like in your head, but if you got some collar reference, you'd find it didn't really look like that at all, and so on and so forth

EDIT: also that surface noise on the shirt is far too much, a shirt doesn't really have much in the way of obvious texture, wheras your's looks like it's made out of rock or something.

Don't get too disheartened that you're not able to jump into a job straight out of university, just realise that you've learnt the skills and the techniques and the thinking behind creating game assets, you just need to practice it a bit more and that's the stage you're at right now, so just keep bashing out sculpts and models and see where you get in a month or 2...
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have not found a job in 1.5 years so dont feel bad keep working
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace: Thanks for your feedback, don't worry it does not dishearten me, if anything it motivates me even more to keep practicing.

The Cowboy sculpt was a rework and is over 2 years old now. That was when I first started learning ZBrush and I was like "Wow , this stitch looks cool, I will put it on everything that is fabric". Since then I have started paying more attention to refernces etc.

I thought that I could just tweak the anatomy in places to bring it up to scratch, but like you say there are problems that go deep into the sub div levels. I think I might remove it from the portfolio or un-link it to the high res image xD. I don't think that will make many people happy though lol

I checked out your portfolio and you have some nice work, especially the Capt. America!

nick2730: Thanks man , I am sure we will get there in the end! Are you looking for multiple positions or focusing on 1 particular position?

- Update -

Here is a new speed sculpt, all together it took about 5 hours to complete from a simple ZSphere setup.

I decided to modify the concept a little bit and throw a tiny bit of Avatar and Ork in there. Sadly I cant credit the author of the original concept as his name isn't on the file or picture itself.

MichaelBarnes_Monster3-1.jpg
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I have added a new piece to the portfolio.

michaelbarnes_jrdeathknight-1.jpg

Hopefully some low spec assets will increase my chances of getting a job :)
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Put more padding on the description text, they overlay with the navigation bar, which isn't good at all. It should be easier to read for people! :)

Should look at racer445's texture tutorial, this should help you a lot for improve the textures and make them "wow".

http://www.nextgenhardsurface.com/index.php?pageid=racer445

One last thing, you can also work the facial proportions to give a personality to your characters.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GpVrJkeXjT4/TSsQkfHrglI/AAAAAAAACu4/I1jBU9c3Xaw/s1600/face.JPG

:)
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks megalmn2000!

I'll see what I can do as the compression hasn't really helped matters. I was going to link each of the images to a higher res version, but if the descriptive text was clear enough they wouldn't have to waste time waiting for the bigger images to load.

I will make the borders bigger so that I can overlay the title on the top and the website address on the bottom.

Thanks for those workflow links, they will help in future projects.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took Seasame's advice and I have rigged the Nobleman. I have also added new eyes and played around with the specularity all over.

I am going to add more poses along with some facial expressions. I am also playing with the idea of modelling a expensive sword for him.

trans.jpg

I am having a issue with the floor clipping. I have the global opacity set to 0 so that the eyes can have just the spec, but for some reason it results in a strange harsh shadowing artifact beneath the nobleman.

When I change the transparency from best to simple it resolves the issue, but, I lose the transparency on the eyes :(

Can anyone suggest a way that I could get both the eyes and floor to play nice?

Thanks
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    There is definitely improvement here and I like it. I also really enjoy your portfolio layout as well, its easy to read and easy to navigate. Your nobleman's feet seem long and almost clown shoe like, especially back then, people were a lot smaller in the first place, and that includes feet. Just a thought :) I noticed that almost first when examining the character at first glance.

There seems to be a layout error of some kind. You have overlapping of your header and buttons. I am using the latest google chrome release if that matters.

WdaGJ.jpg

keep it coming man, if you keep showing progress like this, you should find a junior position without a problem. Just keeping working on human anatomy and life studies, since they seem to be your weak points right now. Keep doing speed sculpts but do not avoid doing humans. Try females, faces of all nationalities, arm and leg studies, etc etc. Studios want people who are not afraid and avoid certain areas. To be your full potential as a character artist, you must be comfortable with everything organic first of all, that includes monsters, all races, and most importantly anatomy of all kinds. Character art is dog eat dog, so to stand above the rest and to get a job, you must really excel, work on your 2D as well. Great 3D artists have 2D abilities as well, especially 3D character artists. Dont let this scare you! Its all here to help. Keep it coming man, and good luck!
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Add3r, something must have balls'd up as the title was linking to one of my older pieces which I had removed from my website. I have sorted that now though :)

I am thinking of re rendering some things like the transformer , and adding them to a old work section, with like 1 beauty render for each asset etc.

---UPDATE---

Here is a new render of the Nobleman, along with 2 new poses.

realposescopy.jpg

dacecopy.jpg

I have noticed that some people seem to post only a presentation sheet for their characters containing a render of the character, a wireframe render and each of the textures.

Is this a good idea or should I stick to the way that I am doing it (beauty,construction, wires and textures in seperate images)
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I have been bush pushing and pulling polygons for the last 10 months, and as a result I have came up with a new refined portfolio website. A lot of my work has been scrapped so that I can show only my best work.

WebsiteUpdate.png

Let me know what you think :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    You have a lot of cool work, and I especially like your sculpts and 2d. One thing I notice is that all your characters could use some more work with the skin texture/skin shader. I see a lot of black in the skin and this doesn't really happen much in real life. Are you multiplying ao over the skin? I would have to really dig into your textures/shaders to really know whats going on, but that's probably my biggest crit on your work.

But great job dude, and keep it up!

edit/ looking closer that might not be it. I don't know... possibly someone can chime in an better explain why the skin isn't reading so well. :/