Home General Discussion

Any freelancer here set up paypal to auto-email asset download link upon payment?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
Any freelancer here have set up a Paypal transaction to auto-email asset download link upon payment? Do you need a 3rd party, like a yahoo download service but using Paypal for payment?

Just checking. Got a new gig where I have received upfront downpayment but wondering how I'll handle the "payment upon completion part" later. It's a new client. I don't have a problem asking on day of delivery, but wondering if there's a less hassle way that this could be done without me having to business talk with the ceo and one of his vp.

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I'm not a full time free lancer, but when I receive money up front I usually deliver the assets and then receive final payment. There's 99% chance there will be minor revisions. If they pay first they usually get nervous and needy.

Lately I've been just sharing a Dropbox folder with my contractors. They love getting the assets as they are created, and I get much quicker feedback with less re-working.

If you signed a contract there maybe a section in there on when and how to deliver assets.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're looking for an intermediary payment processor maybe something like Gumroad would work. You'd give up a cut of your income to Gumroad but they'd take care of everything else.

The strange thing is though I think the link generated would allow anyone to "buy" your assets, which probably potentially breaks a ton of NDA and contractual kinds of things. I suppose if the Gumroad link never gets shared out to the public. Maybe there's a way to limit it to a specified buyer?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the response.

I'll check out Gumroad Ben. Yeah, I'm looking at a private sale so it'll be like buying download videos from eat3d or adobe products where you get the link after payment. I know Google has something like this where you can sell digital content but I was curious if there's a Paypal only solution.

I just favor minimizing my risk of a delay or having to beg/argue for immediate payment. Even if a client is not ready to pay the day I want the remaining balance at least I can move on to other things since they'll know where and how to get their asset.

@Juan, I personally don't bother furnishing a contract for my clients. I can receive and go over a contract from them if they have it. But for small gigs, like under $1000, I just rely on Paypal's t.o.s. as a contract alternative between me and clients.