Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

VFX Portfolio

Hey everybody!

I'm starting a new vfx portfolio on my website and I want to get some feedback from you polycounters :)

Here's a link to my website:
http://www.klemenlozar.com/?cat=17

Not a lot of stuff there yet, but I will be updating regularly. Oh, also, this is my first post here :)

What do you think?

Thanks

Replies

• Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice effects. However your videos take absolutely ages to load, have you considered just putting them on youtube?
  • Klemen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Yeah, sorry about that, I usually upload all my stuff to youtube, just got a bit lazy. I will put the links up on my website soon.

Edit: All the effects have youtube links on my website now.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Didnt bother looking at it because i had to download stuff to do so.
  • Klemen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to hear that Drav. You require quictime player to view the videos as they are in quicktime format. There are also youtube links though :)
  • Z3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3D
    hey Klemen nice work dude especially to the fire 1 and Aura 1.
    I'm hunting some study materials and learning about FX for games but you really know how it's hard

Also we have Ryan Smith - https://vimeo.com/36687699 - that can be a good inspiration

Keep going and welcome
  • loneraver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loneraver triangle
    Good stuff man! I'm also in the process of teaching myself FX!

I agree with what most people have said about changing the format of the videos so people don't have to install anything (like i did) to watch the videos. And the load times are too long.

The effects look great though, i specially like your explosions!
  • Klemen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks guys!

@Z3D: Yeah it's pretty tough to get going at the beginning, there's really not a lot of learning material. Whoa, thanks for that link, that dude is doing some pretty impressive technical stuff :)

@loneraver: That's great to hear, the more the merrier :) I guess I'll have to start thinking about flash videos on my website or something, although quicktime is pretty common for animations, youtube will have to suffice for now.

I'm experimenting with a new water effect right now, I will probably post something soon.
  • Klemen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a new water effect I'm trying out. Not too happy about the textures yet, it looks a bit foamy at the moment. I like the versatility of it, it's very easy to adjust it from looking like a little water stream to looking almost like a waterfall or a big leak.

Water_Splash.jpg

- Youtube link

- Quicktime link (higher quality)

Oh, by the way, how do you guys feel about sound fx accompanying my videos? Is it annoying or cool? I haven't seen that done a lot, but I think it makes the presentation a bit nicer. Obviously I'm not depending on sound at all when I'm makind my fx, I always make sure they read well enough on their own but I think sound really brings them more to life.
  • loneraver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loneraver triangle
    I do think the sound effects on the explosions help sale the effect.
  • Klemen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a new Flamethrower effect I made. It uses dynamic materials that distort a texture in different ways to give it a "flamey" look, no flipbook textures used. Particle counts are very low too, so it's very efficient.

Untitled-2.jpg

- Youtube link

- Quicktime link
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Good stuff man, I'm no FX artist but this looks excellent.

For the flamethrower, perhaps keep in mind it's actually liquid being sprayed? It looks more like a gaseous torch than one from liquid. Check this video: (skip to 1 minute) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9DkciMTsLI&t=65"]FLAMETHROWER MASSACRE - YouTube[/ame]
    You can see stuff dripping down, would look cool to add that.
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Those are really nice. I especially digg the explosions. I think youve got great timing and power in your effects, and your smoke looks really nice.

I agree with Xollul about the flamer though, unless you want the flamer to look like a movie-style gas flamer.

Also I think you should embed the youtubes directly on your site, so that you dont have to leave it in order to see them.

In conclusion: great job!
  • Klemen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Yeah I did imagine more of a movie-style gas flamer with this one, idk why but all the time making it I imagined roasting necromorphs from dead space with it :D

Video above is such a great reference, that fps russia dude has some crazy stuff on his channel :) A more liquid based flamethrower is definitely on my list, I'm actually working on one that sets stuff on fire. It would be great to have it drip some flaming liquid on the ground too.

I had a look at both of your portfolios and wow, you guys are doing some amazing things!

Oh and I will look into embedding youtube videos directly to my site, I like that idea.
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Oh yeah, one more thing. The love the sparks in your fire effect, but they are traveling too straight. You could try and make them twirl around a bit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1nu_8IQd78"]Crackling Campfire (10 minutes!) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Klemen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @St4lis: Yeah, that first fire is pretty stylized, I wasn't really aiming for realism with that one. Thanks for that great reference, I'm working on a new, more realistic fire using dynamic materials, here's what I have so far:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izr6r3x-YPo&feature=player_embedded"]Fire_2_WIP_1 - YouTube[/ame]

No smoke yet as I'm trying to focus on fire first. Do these fire embers look better in motion?
  • Z3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3D
    Hey man, the Flamethrower looks very good, just in case do you had to have more attention with sound effects(if u want to).
    I mean in the water for example looks you just put two differents water sounds and the first remember me a shower ; it's need to be more carefull.
    I don't know what do you using for sound but Audition and Soundtrack can be friendly even Audacity

btw Quicktime works very good in chrome no download no nothing just click.
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, explosions have a really nice style to them.

The fire works, it really looks like the Naughty Dog presentation though. If you worked from that, try adding something to make it your own.
  • Klemen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Z3D: Thanks man. Yeah, I'm not really trying anything fancy with sound effects, I just think they make the presentation a bit nicer, I'm no sound designer :)

@mathes: Thanks mathes! Wow you have good eyes, I have indeed learned about that technique from Doug Holder from Naughty Dog, so nice of them to share that with everybody. I did try to make it my own as much as I could so far by using my own textures and using custom distortion, I'm still experimenting with the material, so far I'm loving it.

Here's the thread about dynamic materials over at tech artists if anybody is interested:
    http://tech-artists.org/forum/showthread.php?2502-Dynamic-Materials-for-Particle-FX
  • loneraver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loneraver triangle
    Thanks for the link Klemen!
  • Klemen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're welcome :)

Here's a full weapon FX I made recently composed of muzzle flash, shell casings, bullet impacts, bullet traces and smoke trails behind bullets. Smoke trails are a bit wonky in this video because I made everything inside a single particle system (for presentation purposes), otherwise they have a noise on them so they seem to get distorted by wind and dissipate over time. I made this effect to look pretty stylised and hollywood inspired, those bullet hits are pretty huge for such a low caliber :)

Weapon_FX_1_2.jpg

- Youtube link

Muzzle flash is a textured static mesh which deforms and rotates so it looks different every time. I like using static meshes for that because they usually look good from any angle. Shell casings are a flip book texture and they rotate individually, it's amazing how 3d they look when they're set up like that.

Oh and please note that I didn't make that gun model.
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Some really nice effects here. A few points about the bouncing betty:

The pieces don't fly out like you'd expect considering the force of the explosion. Their flight describes a gentle arc instead of the almost horizontal outward movement you'd expect, especially since you have trails in there. Not 100% sure if the trails should be fire coloured. It looks cool but also a bit odd since they fade to grey. Add a proper light instead of a large sprite, you can see it clipping through the ground :)

The muzzle flash is too slow for the rate of fire and doesn't feel like it's got that much intensity, maybe due to lack of an actual light source? Bullets looks very big and boxy, maybe tone them down a bit. Not 100% sure about the glow inside the bullet impact decals, could be a bit more subtle but that's my personal preference. The impacts have a faked light with two circular sprites which make it look almost like an energy weapon impact. Have a look at these for some awesome weapon/bullet impact/destruction vfx:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rV6q63GA7a0

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KmBhw1eTk88

Sorry if I sound harsh, writing this at work so need to be quick. You've got good work, just needs a bit of tweaking and polish.

*edit*

Personally I don't think you need the sound effects but I can see why you add them. The only downside is that unless they are really good they can detract from the quality of the vfx.
  • Klemen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks urgaffel, you don't sound harsh at all I really appreciate any feedback and I agree with most of your observations. Yeah muzzle flash is definitely the weakest part of the effect now, I'm gonna have to work on that. I made it so it has a bit of velocity over life in the direction the bullets travel and it already looks a bit better.

I agree about lights, I'll have to start experimenting with that, I like to make those short bursts with sprites, but they don't really interact with the environment in any way :) I really exaggerated those bullet hits to have a lot of visual impact, I might have gone too far with that :) that uzi model doesn't do it any good either, it's a bit too puny in comparison but it's all I currently have :)

Holy crap those battlefield videos are awesome, the amount of destruction they are able to pull off is really amazing! That has to be some of the best FX work in games so far. Great reference, thanks!

Yeah I see what you mean about sound it's a double-edged sword. I think (hope might be a better word) I've been able to keep them good enough so far so they don't detract from the effects.

Thanks again man, great feedback!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    been watching the thread, really awesome stuff here! Mortar blast is my favorite one so far :D
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    sweet gun-FX. you sure are pumping out awesomeness. Where are you applying?
  • Klemen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lee3dee: Thanks man! I had a look at your portfolio and I must say I really like your work!:)

@St4lis: Thanks :) Oh here and there wherever I can, I'm interested in any exciting paid work. I saw they're looking for FX artists for Hawken, I applied there but that's probably a long shot :\

What do you guys suggest I start working on next? I know I have some more work to do on some of my existing effects but what else would you suggest I take a shot with?
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Destruction sequence! Something crumbling or getting blown apart (like the wooden things in the BF3 CQB video ;)

*edit*

Also, try to do things with animated sprites. The engine we're using at work doesn't do dynamic materials like you can do in UDK so knowing how to use animated sprites and how to create them is a good skill to have (in case you end up somewhere where you can't use them)
  • thefxguy006
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to say as an aspiring FX artist I'm loving your work! You've got some really good effects going. I understand how you do most of the FX I just don't understand how you create your materials! The material editor has always stumped me a little bit so do you have any pearls of wisdom you fancy sharing?

Keep up the good work!

Jack
  • Klemen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but I have a bunch of new stuff to show!

Below is my latest work, an attempt at a large scale explosion in UDK. I made this one in matinee. I used 3 emitters, one for the main body in the center and one at each side. I’m also spawning a point light with animated brightness to bring it all more together. It’s pretty heavy in terms of performance but it could easily be a part of a real time cinematic sequence. I added a simple camera shake and sound in post, turn on your speakers!
    1.jpg

- Youtube link

A compilation of some of the most recent VFX work I did for a a top down shooter Recruits
    3.jpg

- Youtube link

Napalm explosion I did for Recruits. Main challenge here was getting that hot fiery feel to the explosion, I ended up making a few pretty massive flipbook textures with fumefx for the main plume and animated their position and scale.
    2.jpg

- Youtube link