Home General Discussion

E3 2012 - General Chat

mod
http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conferences/?tag=e3expo%3Bpress

So, What is everyone expecting? I honestly think next gen will be revealed. At LEAST the name of them. Both Sony and Microsoft said the systems will be out next xmas, and with Nintendo trying to redeem themselves, I think it would be stupid NOT to say at least something.

Replies

• Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    5 threads.... really?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I may have jumped the gun on that. But, every year the same thing happens. A thread is started for each company.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I think a thread for each is ok... then all the comments don't pile up on different talks. Just a thread for specific talks.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Slipsius you minx. Why a thread for Ubi and EA but no 2012 thread for Nintendo? :P
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's a good choice, though I'm not sure we needed a general chat.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    is half-life 3 in here?! UGH! NO!... fuck!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Valve has said they wont be announcing anything. But a buddy at work and I were talking about how awesome it would be if gabe just walked out at the very end, didnt say a thing. On screen you see E3. The E fades out and HL fades in. Gabe walks off.
  • Tom Pritchard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On GameTrailers, waiting for the pre-show to start. Interested to see what happens, what with all the Xbox tablet rumors going around.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    Valve has said they wont be announcing anything. But a buddy at work and I were talking about how awesome it would be if gabe just walked out at the very end, didnt say a thing. On screen you see E3. The E fades out and HL fades in. Gabe walks off.

nerdgasm...

but come on, they won't announce anything? ARGH! wtf!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I better get my popcorn ready. It's E3 time. Everyone get on the hype train. :poly142:
  • [HP]
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what is this shit CNN for games?!

Edit:
    thanks for the link, hp.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I predict every press conference will be judged the worst & the best by various fanboys, just like every year. Don't let me down guys
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Somebody just sum stuff up at the end of everything, i really can't be bothered to spend my time watching all of this.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screen fades to black.
    Screen fades back up - Troll face.

:P
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I predict every press conference will be judged the worst & the best by various fanboys, just like every year. Don't let me down guys

Microsoft was totally the worstest and Sony will OWN THEM BECAUSE GOD OF WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR.

The last three years PC is the only community I can stomach discussing E3 in.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Hahahaha:

"Guys, I'm bringing the Mario party to you!"
    bk3VP.jpg
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    How about we post trailers for games not announced on the main pcs?
    Zeno Clash 2
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian wrote: »
    Hahahaha:

"Guys, I'm bringing the Mario party to you!"
    bk3VP.jpg

In the words of the lovely Scarlett... I don't see how that's a party. ;)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Well, day 1 is done. For me, personally, Sony took it for the day. Watch dogs looks SOOOOO good, but Sony just blew the lid off the place. So many new IPs. LOVED what I saw with Beyond, GoW, and Last of Us. The book was a slow presentation, but the idea is fantastic for kids, I think.

Microsoft spent too much time on the useless stuff that you could announce in a single article.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoE7sj7IDWQ"]South Park: The Stick of Truth - Trey Parker and Matt Stone - Microsoft E3 2012 Press Conference - YouTube[/ame]

Highlight of the day for me.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I don't care if it's faked gameplay or not, I just like the idea of playing a bounty hunter in the criminal underground of Star Wars. There's more to that universe than Jedi and Stormtroopers!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U08QNPk0ZNE&hd=1"]Star Wars: 1313 Gameplay - E3 2012 - YouTube[/ame]
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Both Sony and Microsoft said the systems will be out next xmas

Thats the problem, no they absolutely did not say that or even the slightest of hint of there plans for new consoles. The "they will be out next Christmas" is just another one of the many, many RUMORS people float out there from various "inside" sources who all are saying different things.

With the PS3 and 360 doing so well right now and having so many games coming out why on earth would they want to take away from all that momentum? Why would they want people to be like "oh hey there's a new console coming out soon? well fuck im not going to get an xbox or ps3 now, I will just wait for the new one."

Buisness for Sony and Microsoft is booming and it would be a foolish business decision to detract from all the games they have and all the console sales they are making by announcing new systems, or even hinting that they are coming.

Both company's realized how much life they can get out of these consoles and there going to get as much life as they can before having to release a new system. Especially in this economic climate. And beyond the "core" audience who wants a new console I think the majority of consumers would also prefer to get as much life out of there console before having to pony up a few hundred dollars more for a new console.

Also when has Sony or Microsoft ever just hinted at a new console? Why would they? When they announce it there going to go balls out, wow and dazzle people with amazing looking next gen games that will hook people. Just being like, "oh hey yeah were making 720 but we dont have any next gen games to show yet" isnt going to do shit for Microsoft. They wont show the consoles before they have games to show and finalized hardware, and they dont have either.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't care if it's faked gameplay or not, I just like the idea of playing a bounty hunter in the criminal underground of Star Wars. There's more to that universe than Jedi and Stormtroopers!

Star Wars: 1313 Gameplay - E3 2012 - YouTube

You know which star wars game was awesome? Dark Force!
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Both Sony and Microsoft said the systems will be out next xmas

Erm... what? lol
    You know more information that the rest of us?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    November 2013 for the next consoles I hear. I was pretty dissapointed they STILL didn't unveil them at this years E3. Pretty disappointed there was no hardware on show actually, not even the heavily rumoured next iteration of the 3DS.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    You will more dissapointed when you will find they are worse than a PC (and just a little upgrade to the actual consoles). I highly doubt they will have enough power like to move the square-enix tech demos, or unreal engine 4.

I'm surprised that bethesda announced Doom 3 BFG edition... they don't have more new games to earn cash?¿ I liked Doom 3, but i won't pay 30+ euro for "this shit of remasterization". Sorry if i sound harsh, but it's how i feel about it.

Not too many news in this E3... when.. when we could see the true next gen games for our PCs?¿ All the presented titles that will have pc version will be shitty ports. It's incredible.

And where's half life 3? episode 3?
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I just want my Last Guardian.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just read this article. I agree with a lot of the things it talks about. So i thought i would share it.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/172088/From_the_Editor_E3_2012__The_E3_of_Disillusion.php

[At this week's E3, publishers in the so-called "triple-A" video game industry made perfectly clear -- more than ever before -- who their target audience is, says Gamasutra editor-in-chief Kris Graft.]

I started writing an article that was along the lines of "The top five takeaways of E3 2012." That included trends such as connectivity and integration of products (SmartGlass, PS3/Vita cross-play), Sony and Nintendo's lack of a spotlight on dedicated handhelds, and how there was little at E3 in the way of emerging business models and platforms.

Forget that, this is how I really feel.

E3 2012 was finally the E3 of my disillusionment with the so-called triple-A video game industry. And yes, it really did take this long.

On the grand stage in L.A., at the event that I've heard called the "Super Bowl of Video Games," the world's biggest video game publishers made clear at whom they would direct hundreds of millions of dollars of investment: Bloodthirsty, sex-starved teen males who'll high-five at a headshot and a free T-shirt.

What sealed the deal for me was this apparent obsession with violence and vulgarity. Violence in media doesn't bother me. Some of my favorite media (including games) utilizes violence in a very directed way. Self-aware gratuitousness can get a point across. Use violence as a satirical tool, by all means. Use it as a way to develop a tame character into one that becomes a psychopathic murderer.

But why use violence as a tool for narrative or storytelling, when using it as a marketing bullet point is so much easier?

Outside of Nintendo's dry product overviews, the main press conferences at E3 looked like a pissing match of who could say "fuck" more (ooo, bad words!), and who could show off the fanciest, highest-fidelity, most realistic up-close-and-personal (and virtually non-interactive) kill animations.

It's really kind of a shame. If you actually got to see some of these games beyond the trailers and scripted gameplay demos at E3, some actually weren't non-stop slaughter-fests, at least not to the degree to which trailers implied. Some of the violence, in context, made sense.

But if you were an average Joe who strolled into one of these E3 press conferences, and saw hundreds of people hoot and holler when a guy's face gets blown off in high-resolution detail, you might think you walked into an ancient Roman coliseum.

E3 2012 was unabashed pandering to the lowest common denominator, more than ever before. The video game industry wants to be respected as a medium that can be held up to the same creative standards as a New York Times best-selling book or an Oscar-winning movie. Instead, the games industry is complacent in further developing its relegation as a semi-interactive Michael Bay mocking bird.

I want to tell people who watched the livestreams of the press conferences that this is not representative of today's video game industry. There is so much good, so much innovation, so much progression that is happening in other areas of the industry. And people in these emerging areas are actually making some bank.

Attend a conference like CES, you can get an idea of what is sharpening the cutting edge. Go to Game Developers Conference, and you can hear the people who are working directly on games, and understand the challenges they are up against in an industry that is almost overwhelmingly -- yet beautifully -- dynamic in terms of business and creative.

Go to E3 and try to identify trends, you'll soon realize that you're looking into the past. E3 2012 could've been E3 2006. It is a museum without the informative placards. It's an archaeologist's dream. It's a reality show starring a washed-up rockstar. It's old gameplay. Old themes. A parade of old business models meant to pacify retailers, patting them on the head to assure them that they will be as relevant five years from now as they are today. E3 2012 was a fool's circus, more than any other E3 that I've been to. It insulted my intelligence, and insulted my enthusiasm for video games.

I have a friend who is working on a rather well-publicized game for a major handheld platform. He saw the intricate neck-stabbings, the bows and arrows, the line-up-your-reticle-on-that-guy's-head-and-repeat "gameplay," and the press-a-button-to-begin-a kill-animation "game design." He said that seeing these games made him think, "I sure am glad that I'm making an actual video game." Anyone else who is making actual video games should be just as proud.

If you witnessed E3 as an intelligent enthusiast of video games, you realized the sad truth: The joy is dead, delight is gone. Joy and delight just aren't worth the monetary investment anymore for big-budget games. Joy and delight are replaced by "I fucked your shit up, and I'm a bad-ass, let's crack open a Dew." It took all of these games in one place for me to finally, reluctantly, admit that this is what triple-A video games are now. At least that's how E3 and triple-A game publishers apparently want to portray the world of video games. Are you not entertained?