Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shane (Walking Dead) Bust WIP

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
Hi everyone!

SO heres my WIP on the bust.

Im doing this for a new job i got. This is gonne be 3D Printed then Painted to be selled as collectable.

So this needs to be perfect :D thats why i came here for Comments and crits :D

Thank you !!

sheetu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey man looks pretty cool, nice likeness. I'd probably say the eyes are too close together and lips slightly too thick. Its definitely getting there though, good start!
  • TipsyMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would agree with the eyes, they are just a hair too close together. I think the lips are spot on though. The first two reference images are deceiving because he is pressing his lips together, changing their relaxed shape.

One way that I like to check if my likeness is correct is to do a survey. I'll send out an email to some of my trusted friends (the one's who will say my work looks like shit if it really does) of an image of just the lower half of the face and simply ask who they think it is. If they can tell me, I know that I am really close or even spot on. I'll send out another email to different people of the top half of the face. Again, use the same judgment. If they say I don't know, your proportions are off or it could just be that they may have never seen this person before. It's not fool proof all the time but I've had a lot of success with it.

Without looking at your title or reference images, I would have known exactly who it is because of the nose and the mouth. The eyes, I think I would have known but there is some doubt in my mind. So that's why I say that they may be a hair too close.

Great job on this! I'll be following this one!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! You have a great likeness, its instantly recognisable and you don't even have a diffuse which is normally when things really come together, so the fact that you've hit that mark without a diffuse is good. =)

The one beef that I can see that wasn't already mentioned, was the "sternocleidomastoid" (neck muscle) looks a bit like an octopus hanging from his neck. He is a pretty beefy guy but I think you went a little over the top and projected a bit too much of his over the top aggressive personality into that particular muscle... heh.
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome Crits guys!! ill go work on that now!

@ TipsyMonk : thats a really good trick, i will try that for sure! thanks!
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man I hate this guy so much.

You've got a great start though. :)
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Seirei!

SO i had a little bit more time to work on this! i had have the facial expression on that reference with the crazy eyes.

Let me know what you think! :D

thewalkingdeadfinalepre.jpg
    By fred2303 at 2012-06-03

zgrab01.jpg

zgrab02.jpg

zgrab03.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hmm it's a tricky one, I still can't read it as Shane a 100%. Maybe it's just me, either way. Good work on the sculpt there, can't wait for more updates :)
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comment Chris!

so the boss accepted this version so im gonna call this one done! :D

finalca.jpg

• Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just added some short beard and fixed the hairs :D finish for real now!! :D
    zgrab01s.jpg

• MGM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MGM polycounter lvl 12
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    cool, very well done :D

just one thing, fix the "produtions" typo ^^
  • Miller02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm it's a tricky one, I still can't read it as Shane a 100%. Maybe it's just me, either way. Good work on the sculpt there, can't wait for more updates :)

I feel ya on this one. I think maybe its the shape/orientation of his mouth.

He always seems to be pissed or in deep thought about something devious, which in turn makes his mouth a bit smaller with a down slope on either end. Just take a look at the source images he has.
  • Miller02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its looking GREAT though!!! Nice work!