Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gods and Towers, Android tower defense game

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
tucho polycounter lvl 17
Last months I've been posting pictures of the characters and towers that I made for this game on the Lowpoly thread, now the game is released (as a beta for now) and I decided to create a specific thread where place all the pictures together.

I hope you like it, as always crits and comments are welcome.

Joe, the founder of Gundog Studios, has shared a link on this forum to anyone who want download the game for free to see it in action
For those of you that want to see the models in action, feel free to download the Gods and Towers APK from:

www.godsandtowers.com/GodsAndTowers-0.6.04.apk

If you like it, please purchase it from the official source on Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.towerdefensewars

Any comments, suggestions, issues you have are highly appreciated; send them to joe@gundogstudios.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QuNxaeeHSCQ

VRTKadTRCObTsK6UWNOGfBhp58OgMi6dt9I_jAty2thNLZfqp9GjUDVIhfmtXpBwYdQ

J7w0bTSkVogLcBzx2vkryhHy7HTO8kqD6y0jaOpigyoRXv1z-pt9bvhqXVaZaePP4vM

RA7Hn4FApXqWG2jbWV_4lO4LfO05wFPDvZnNNouoU_jS22WXQBUdDxZgY_RjF-D04Q

0xZUKd7dS8-tLA61DVaNlMaDFVc_ptwsfsba5W-qWzTj1ICwbQVTUbWEGSzYSXS0ULo

g4P1wQsCez_6HdSRyWi6A_vplL_DwvB29sOaG5pjrePMIRDYvqhsH3GUZkr2l6NTrmcK

5S30sO9zAq2BJYcatXYWVvKLFyqmjzZo13oaQz_4wSan5VxDtpvDV_V0UKvbFm22_voG

dragon-drake.jpg

eagle-falcon.jpg

bear.jpg

angel-fallen_angel.jpg

succubus_seraphim.jpg

golem.jpg

Zealot_FrozenSoldier.jpg

Archers.jpg

zombie-mummy.jpg

horsemen.jpg

Replies

• tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome, i love TD games :)

Shame its £2 for a beta though
  • OriginLinear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the gif of the girl being whipped on the ass. :D

Looks good.
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did u not normal or bump any of these? Or even an AO bake!? How did u cram so much detail onto the textures? I'm quite new to texturing so any advice or a breakdown on your pipeline/workflow would be amazing and very appreciated!
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    are you creating a different texture for every colour iteration of a model? If you are that seems really inefficient, especially for a phone game. have you thought about grey scaling some of the texture and using flat colour and a mask to create the different coloured assets? You lose colour detail but you can save so much space and texture usage by doing so. You could even put some of the textures into one sheet by spreading them across the RGBA channels.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    awesome work on the models and textures. is this for tablets only? i dont think my poor phone would run it...
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for your comments guys :)
    Did u not normal or bump any of these? Or even an AO bake!? How did u cram so much detail onto the textures? I'm quite new to texturing so any advice or a breakdown on your pipeline/workflow would be amazing and very appreciated!

These models use just diffuse texture. Basicly I make a quick sculpting of the model to project an occlusion map and use it as base of the texture, in fact this occlusion is about the 80% of the texture work, with these models I almost just use photoshot to add flat colors. I use this technic because I like to sculpt but it takes more or less the same time that make a hand painted texture with a similar amount of detail, although this technic has some other advantages, like automatic seamless textures or correct the UV distortion.
    are you creating a different texture for every colour iteration of a model? If you are that seems really inefficient, especially for a phone game. have you thought about grey scaling some of the texture and using flat colour and a mask to create the different coloured assets? You lose colour detail but you can save so much space and texture usage by doing so. You could even put some of the textures into one sheet by spreading them across the RGBA channels.

I made the models and textures in the way that the programmer asked for, anyway in most of cases wouldn't be possible to use the same greyscale texture for all the models of the same type, because the texture is different depending which parts of the basemesh model is showing each unit, we tried to make that different models share the same mesh to instance them ingame (see the wires), and to do it we need to mask some parts of the mesh depending on the character/tower to they look different. Anyway the game got a good performance and decent framerate even on pretty old devices, the bottleneck in this case is more on geometry than on textures.
    awesome work on the models and textures. is this for tablets only? i dont think my poor phone would run it...

You can run the game on your smartphone if it is at least Android 1.6. On the description of the game you can read about performance:

This 3D game was designed from the ground up with performance in mind. It is designed to handle 100's of creatures/towers on screen at once. It was tested on 3+ year old devices on Android 1.6 such as the MyTouch 3G and runs fine on the lowest graphics settings. Phones that cannot play Angry Birds are still capable of handling Gods and Towers.
  • Gundog Studios
    I wanted to say that Tucho did a great job on these models. The level of detail even on older devices is fantastic.

For those of you that want to see the models in action, feel free to download the Gods and Towers APK from:

www.godsandtowers.com/GodsAndTowers-0.6.04.apk

If you like it, please purchase it from the official source on Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.towerdefensewars

Any comments, suggestions, issues you have are highly appreciated; send them to joe@gundogstudios.com

Again, great work Tucho, I am looking forward to working with you again in the future.

-Joe
    "Gundog Studios"
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Joe :)

I added your links on the main post to augment its visibility
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    Nice work, I especially like the dragon.

Can I see a full-sized version of some of these textures?
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Nice work, I especially like the dragon.

Can I see a full-sized version of some of these textures?

Sure, I worked these textures at 512x152, you can see the dragon ones below

dragon_tex.jpg
  • Gundog Studios